Mini's, mini's everywhere

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
First I took this baby in on a trade. Snow White Crystal!

LlamagirlSept05.jpg

As I understand it you shouldn't have just one! So we went to a farm that has 68 registered mini llama's and decided on a couple more, Here's Flame -

llamaFlame.jpg

And here's Luxury -

llamaLuxery.jpg

I actually didn't even know they made small llama's, they are under 36 or 38", I can't think right now but up to 40" for breeding stock. I have a lot to learn about llama's but will get hopping here as both Flame and Luxury are bred for the spring, Oh No! This could be the start of something new, her llama's are all very well behaved and very pretty. Even Nate, the original llama hater, likes these girls alot! It's fun, getting something new, I'm putting them in with my weanlings so hopefully, all will get along.

They are so adorable! Congratulations. I don't know much about them either, but wondered if mini llama's are the same as alpacas? Or are they a whole other kind?
smile.gif

Gosh, they sure are pretty!
wub.gif
Congrats again!
laugh.gif

yes.gif
Yep, MINI LLAMAS are different than alpacas. They've been bred down like Marnie said. There's even a registry for them now!

What little experience I have of both llamas and alpacas mostly comes from some friends and neighbors of our's (who we got are two guard llamas from) and there is a difference in basic temperament between them. Alpacas are even MORE aloof than llamas, no matter how much handling they've had.

So, I would think mini llamas that have been imprinted on would be very cool!

MA

I was just a bit over whelmed in her pasture, they all were so behaved, I've seen some real obnoxious, creepy llama's already and don't want those. I think these girls are great but if anyone knows of any reason that I shouldn't put them in with my mini weanlings, be sure to speak up, ok? Like I said, I have alot to learn here.

SWA said:
They are so adorable!  Congratulations.  I don't know much about them either, but wondered if mini llama's are the same as alpacas?  Or are they a whole other kind? 
smile.gif

Gosh, they sure are pretty! 
wub.gif
Congrats again! 
laugh.gif

476463[/snapback]

nope, mini Llamas and alpacas are different. Alpacas are smaller, and have nicer fleece. They are simply cousins to llamas. All part of the camelid family.

My family owns Luna Nueva Ranch - we breed alpacas, although I want to breed minis.

www.lunanuevaranch.com

And it is the Alpaca that you cannot have one alone, not so much the Llamas...Oh yes I checked into the mini Llamas thought it would be neat..They are so cute and cuddly. I have a friend that just got into Alpacas..Oh my...And he has a Llama he want to sell asked me if I wanted it but I told no thanks not at this time.

I have Four Llama, and Alpaca message boards that I am on, to learn about both of them.

nope, mini Llamas and alpacas are different. Alpacas are smaller, and have nicer fleece. They are simply cousins to llamas. All part of the camelid family.
My family owns Luna Nueva Ranch - we breed alpacas, although I want to breed minis.

www.lunanuevaranch.com

476521[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:
Marnie,

We have a male and female llama that we use as guard llamas specifically for our nursery pasture. They have one cria per year, so right now all three are in with our weanlings.

The llamas are just great with our babies -- from newborns and on up to any age!

MA

Hi, I have 2 mini llamas both registered. I found a llama farm in KY that breeds them. I have owned them for two years.

Marnie,

They are just adorable!!! I just love the looks of that little cria, "Snow White Crystal!"

Now, I wish I had gone with you today BUT then it is "probably" a good thing that I didn't!! You know how hard it is for me to resist babies of any kind!!!!

We just bought some horse property near to us and will be putting our Arabian mares on the pasture. We have horse folks renting the house on the property that will keep an eye on everything when we cannot be there but I was thinking about guard animals as we have coyotes and an occasional cougar. Considered putting minis there in the future but am concerned about predators. Which is better: llama or alpaca?

CAM said:
We just bought some horse property near to us and will be putting our Arabian mares on the pasture. We have horse folks renting the house on the property that will keep an eye on everything when we cannot be there but I was thinking about guard animals as we have coyotes and an occasional cougar. Considered putting minis there in the future but am concerned about predators. Which is better: llama or alpaca?
476695[/snapback]

I'd use Llamas to defend Alpacas. Size advantage issue. Llamas are also cheaper.

Now, someone help me, please: How do I get my hands on a miniature Llama? What's their price range? How good is their wool? Got a recomendation on a ranch I could visit? Do they have a show organization?

We used to breed llamas...on average we had about 25 at a time, three studs, a few geldings and the rest were females/crias. The farm dog loved to go in with the llamas and play around in their 5 acre pastures but if she did get in there(more with the females) she was sorry!!!

Lamas(if you drop the second L it means you've thrown alpacas in there as well it's like saying "llamas and alpacas" but instead you say lamas) anyway, they both should be with ATLEAST one other of their kind. Although if you want a guard llama it is best to only have one.

To find a farm, I just wrote in my search engine, Miniature llama's. There aren't alot of farms in the country, it seems. Or at least theres not alot listed. I got mine from Julie Chapman by Houston, MN. I have her site here but the url doesn't seem to work but you should see it listed if you put it in your computer. Her sites name is Minesota Minis (mini llamas). They cost quite abit more than the big llama's. But I like them a hundred times better, you couldn't pay me to take a big llama, they just intimidate me to much. I've seen bratty ones to often. I'm getting mine next Sunday, can't wait.

I guess its Spring Grove, not Houston.

strass said:
CAM said:
476695[/snapback]

I'd use Llamas to defend Alpacas. Size advantage issue. Llamas are also cheaper.

Now, someone help me, please: How do I get my hands on a miniature Llama? What's their price range? How good is their wool? Got a recomendation on a ranch I could visit? Do they have a show organization?

476969[/snapback]

Thank you.
smile.gif

Debra,

I'd go with the llama over alpaca.....Llamas are bigger and don't cost much and are sometimes even free!

Another option for a guard animals is a donkey. Not sure which is more aggressive.

MA

Latest posts

Back