Minis & Full Sized Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shes My Style

Reaction score
How do others handle it who have minis and large horses? Especially if you only have one mini (for now at least!)?

I was told my little girl used to be kept with full sized horses in a previous home and did fine, but she seems just SO small compared to the big guys. I used to have two bratty ponies and I thought they were small but did fine with the big guys, but now that I have her home its obvious she is smaller than they were. Currently I have a temporary fencing set-up that allows her access to a stall along with some pasture space that is 1/2 dry lot, 1/2 grass. She can see the big horses but not be with them.

I was going to eventually introduce her in with the rest of them in time, but now I'm wondering if it would be safer to make the set-up more permanant? Would she be okay with only over-the-fence contact with other horses?

Any thoughts on this would be great. Curious how others handle it. Thanks!

Most folks on this board would tell you that mixing the two is not a good idea. While things may be okay 99.9999999% all it takes is one good kick in anger or even play and your mini will lose in a big way.

I had two minis that I took in as a re-homing situation two years ago. They were 2 and had been living in pasture with a 2 full size horses and 1 large pony. I think they must have spent a good deal of time protecting themselves and each other in the 15 months they lived there, based on their behavior here. After 2 years of mini horse ownership, I got kicked several times despite doing everything to keep that from happening. Last fall, the bigger of the two spooked and kicked out at me while I was grooming her. I hadn't done anything differently then I had done a dozen times before, but I nearly got a broken wrist out of it. They caused a lot of upheaval in my herd and I ended up with a few more grays hairs with them around. They are now living at a mile down the road at a neighbor's who took over ownership of them. They are far happier in their new space with just each other. My original four are much happier being back to their original grouping too.

I know that there are risks involved, but my mini has been kept with full sized horses without any incident for many years. He is pretty big, however (37 inches). I think there are a number of factors to consider, including how much space you have (more space= less problems), making sure you don't have corners that your horse could get trapped in, multiple places where they are fed hay- in other words, can your mini find safe places to avoid problems while still being able to have access to food and water. If you have aggressive or very active horses or if you mini is generally the low man in the herd, I wouldn't advise it, but in my experience it has been totally fine.

As Jane (rabbitsfizz) says, everything is fine until it isn't.

My question is: the risk may be slight, but are you willing to take it?

The risk may also be slight of your horse being injured by leaving his halter on in pasture, but would you do that?

The risk may be slight of your horse getting West Nile or another disease, but are you willing to take the risk of not vaccinating?

On a similar note, the risk may be slight of your kids getting hurt by not wearing seatbelts, and people indeed did it for years, but are you willing to take that risk?

I'm not.

Many things in life carry risk, and it may have little chance of becoming reality, but as long as we have the ability of preventing or lessening that risk and are in the position of responsibility, we owe it to those we love to prevent any risk we can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep them separated! Putting them in together is playing with fire.

One of my geldings was given to me after his buddy was killed in a pasture accident while they were turned out in a mixed herd (the two of them out with 3 saddle horses and 4 draft horses). [i had told them not to turn them out together for many reasons, but they didn't listen and one paid the price.] Before I had multiple minis, mine were quite happy with fence line friendships with big horses. [i've only owned one full-size that I would trust with the minis, and he was an aged, arthritic gelding, so no kicking up his heels. Even then they weren't turned out together, but my mini stallion escaped a few times and I would always find him grazing next to the old guy.]

Here he is watching over the minis, across a fence line (he had free roam of the place in summer):

Cheddar - May 17, 2007 - with minis.jpg

I can only offer my own experience, we had a very small shetland back in the 1980's he would be considered a mini nowadays, he did just fine with our arabs and even ruled the roost. He is long gone, but back then we didn't know any better. We do have a 32 year old arab gelding that loves the minis, but I will never, ever pasture big horses with the little ones ever again. Here is the reason, no matter how much they might love their little friends one kick in play could end in disaster. I had a mini mare suffer a broken leg last year when she got loose and ran in with a full size mare, she healed, but it was esxpensive and took alot out of me. This was an accident, so now we have a double fence to keep this from ahppening again.

Accendents can & do happen. No matter how gentle and sweet a big horse is. I've heard of many minis dying from the mix.

One happened to friends of ours. I told them it wasn't a good idea to have that big horse in their mini mare herd. Oh that's our daughters old gelding, he'd never hurt them. Soon after he'd kicked one of the bred mares in the belly and she lost her foal and I never heard of her having another. She was damaged. I've heard of big horses reaching over fences and grabbing minis with their teeth and shaking them. Of gentle big horses kicking minis through a fence in the head and killing them.

Sorry but it just isn't something I would ever do.
default_no.gif
Not ever.

I think you're awesome for asking!
default_thumbup.gif

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We are looking into more secure/sturdy fencing options than the hotwire she is currently in so there is a more physical barrier between her and the big guys based on what was said here.

How big of an area does a mini need for turn out?

When we got our "first" mini we kept him for awhile inside a round pen (big horse panels) inside of the big horse's turnout. Then we made a mini turnout with the round pen panels on one side to separate them, and non-climb fencing on the other sides. We no longer have the big horse (he died in 2011) but still use the same set up for the minis.

In terms of size: we are in CT where there isn't a lot of land so our turnout area is not huge, and is all dry lot for the minis most of the time. What we did and do - and you can do if you fence with this in mind - is to let the minis in the larger area (where the big horse used to be and now used for broodmares) at least once a week so they can run around like maniacs. We do this close to dinner time to give us half a chance to get them back in!!! Of course, the horses usually in this area need to be somewhere else during this time, but it could even be a stall.

First photo shows Target and Cowboy playing through the round pen when we first got Cowboy. They can be friends and herd-mates without being turned out together.

Next is how it is set up now (taken this week when we had a foal out for the first time and the rest of the herd is dying to get a closer look!)

Cowboy_and_Target.jpg

P1090301.JPG

Personally I've seen that minis and big horses are ok together, but I've never done so personally without supervision so I can intervene if need be, even then it was with the two old gentle farts. My friend had 3 minis in with a big 22 hand draft and were fine for the years they were together. It works if it works, but I really don't like the risk. I'd much rather keep everyone separate, especially if unsupervised. Don't think I'd sleep too well for that. I've seen plenty of people keep them with a gate/fence separating. Just do what you feel is comfortable!

Very good points - it's all about your how much risk you want to take and what your big horses are like.

I have four large horses and all have been raised in a herd environment which included young foals over the years. I've had no problems. Having said that, I do know my horses and my herd dynamic has been very stable over the years.

We had good intentions of keeping Orion separate from the big guys, but he was such an escape artist. After the umpteenth time of fixing the mesh, putting up electric he was well established in the herd. So we gave up. 7 years later, things are good, but it's with horses he has known since he was a weanling.

I am so lucky, I have an "uncle" gelding. He is firm but totally gentle with the wee ones, foals included. I tell you, they are worth your weight in gold!!

I guess my take-home on this would be - don't if you are AT ALL feeling nervous. I would have never done it if Orion hadn't have done it himself. You really have to know your horses...

No way would I put my older standardbred in with his B size mini friend. If my big boy kicks, which he will do, when feeling frisky, my mini could be in danger of being kicked and be hurt. I feel much safer with them in separate paddocks where they can interact over a fence rail.

I've kept minis and big horses on the same property for almost 15 years. They are separated. My fencing is 5ft. 6in. / five board fencing. I have had boards break and them get in with each other - not a pretty site or sound.

The only except was my 13.2hh crippled, 40ish year old pony.. And by crippled I mean he had a deformed leg and literally walked on top of his fetlock joint - didnt do any gait over a gimpy walk. He is the reason I got into minis, he needed a buddy.. And bonded immensely with this sweet 31.5" mare. He passed 12 years ago. I have never put minis and biggies together since.

My guy went out with big horses before i moved him - a 32 yr old arab, and a chronically lame paint. They got along fine. Never had an issue. Would I trun my stud out with a full sized mare or spunky gelding? heck no! I really think it depends on the situation and individual horses!

No.....just NO!!

It is not fine, there is NO way you can intervene in time to stop any trouble, you would be amazed at how fast a horse can just whip round and lash out- in play, in fun, I don't care- end result, dead Mini. If you can put up with that, fine, go ahead and do it. You may get away with it for years, but that is all you are doing, getting away with it.....

I had full sized horses before I had miniature horses and still have both types. Personally, I would not ever run them together. I know that others have done so, and haven't had anyhing bad happen, but I see it as a tragedy waiting to happen. Lots of people never wear their seatbelts, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. The big horse does not have to have any ill intentions, just some play or a "whatever" event and the so much smaller mini may be dead or in an expensive equine hospital. I think it is best to buckle up and keep my big and little horses apart.

I did it before out of ignorance long ago. But now I love my horses too much to do it now that I know better.

I own 4 big horses and 1 mini horse, and I built the little pasture for my mini inside the big horse pasture so she's not lonely, and shes separated so she can't get hurt. One little mistake and it could change your life forever.

Back