Minis and winter,how do they mix?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
I have a mini and a shetland, where i live it can get down to around-10 on a extremly cold day, usually it's around the 5-35 degree range. So last year my miniature actually was cold one day she was hsivering and i covered her in blankets and laid by her for a while. We get a lot of really cold rain then it gets colder and it coats them in ice. I hateseeing them this way every winter,they are fairly young (4 and 6) i have a fleece cooler for my mini, it seems to warm her up rather than cool her down, but i don't really know. They do have a run in shed, i want my dad to add on to the shed so nothing will get in there. We tried to put a heat lamp in with them but they didn't show any interest in it. Do you think they need blankets,they aren't clipped by the way. I really hate seeing them coated in ice all the time.

So long as they have a good winter coat, adequate weight, and hay to keep their gut making heat, these little guys are fine in unbelievable weather. Now, most of mine are in a 24/7 run-in situation, only a couple stallions &/or older mares are stalled on occassion and that's because I have only so many stallion runs!

A couple of the older gals are brought in during EXTREME weather for my comfort as much as theirs
default_wub.png
:

Many of mine are found standing out in weather I'd like them not to but, it's their choice. If I have a situation where one is being kept out of a shed, I move them, the one causing it, or whatever I need to do.

Unless one of the two keeps the other totally out of the shelter, subjecting that one to heavy wind, rain, standing water, extremes as that, then I'd feel they were ok. You do need to keep checking them -- as you obviously are -- and you do need to feel deep down through all that hair to be sure they have enough weight. Remember that HAY is what keeps them warm from digestion.....not grains. Keep some tepid water out for them -- heated buckets if you can -- as the cold/frozen water is a bummer for them and can create as many issues for them as any weather you have (they drink less, get cold from it, etc.)

Many on here live in temps that are WELL below zero on a "good day"
default_wacko.png
: I'm not sure how they do this as I would have moved to warmer climate long ago :lol: BUT, they do.

Bess said it very well. Listen to everything she had to say very closely.

I don't blanket my minis. They grow pretty thick coats.

Mine usually like the cold weather but I've had two that shivered last year and it scared me half to death. They got bundled up with blankets right away. They do not go out when it's iceing or raining or sleeting, none of that stuff.

I think that the wind and the wet make things a lot worse in the winter. If there is no wind and they aren't getting wet then it makes things much easier.

I think that the horses should have a dry place to get shelter and be able to lay down in it on some cozy bedding too.

Latest posts

Back