Minimum shaft length to use for B(35-36")??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKC

Reaction score
I was curious to see what your opinions are on the minimum shaft length for a B (35-36").

Thanks a lot,

Kim

If it's a big moving 35"-36" horse I would say 54" shafts. If it's a horse with less movement/shorter strides then the standard 48" shafts will probably work.

We got a CTM cart with the 54" shafts and I'm very pleased with the room it gives our big moving B horses. I just wasn't comfortable with 48" ones.

Thanks for the comments and thanks Jill for bumping.

What size miniature would you think would fit properly in 46" shafts?

If I remember correctly, I ordered my Jerald in 49" shafts for the B horses. It fits them well. I think Jerald makes 46" shafts for the 34" and under. My 34" stallion is very refined and the 49" shafts are a little too long and wide for him, he would probably do better in a 46" shaft length.

Andrea

If I remember correctly, I ordered my Jerald in 49" shafts for the B horses. It fits them well. I think Jerald makes 46" shafts for the 34" and under. My 34" stallion is very refined and the 49" shafts are a little too long and wide for him, he would probably do better in a 46" shaft length.

Andrea

Shaft length really depends on the horse. Measure the horse's body length and then add 12". That is the appropriate shaft length. You must also consider the width between the shafts. The longer shafts have a wider space in the middle. Also consider the height of the cart. Most carts with shorter shafts are sold with 20" wheels whereas larger carts (54") shafts are made with 26" wheels.

I have a show cart with, I believe 24" wheels, and 48" shafts for a big moving 36" horse. That shaft length seems to work ok with him in a show ring environment.

My marathon cart, however has adjustable shafts, that I keep set at 54", and I wouldn't want them any shorter, lol! I use it for everyday driving too, and, even though we do a lot of cross country and road driving at sane speeds, I still like that extra room for comforts sake, because they move a lot bigger when they're going somewhere aside from around-and-around, lol.

Latest posts

Back