Miniature Shetlands and Foundation Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, I apologize, for that statment. I am not informed enough. What I should have said was so many devisions, I get them all mixed up. Maybe if I come to Congress and watch and learn I will get it figured out.

Terri, Tell your daughter to bring her professor out to my house and we will show him how mean these little guys are.
default_laugh.png
I am close if she wants a horse fix any time. And I would love to have her and her friends come out and visit my gang. Personally I like the older style looks on the mini's. Where they look like they can do more than look pretty. Like I said Personal preference and I know that is not what is taking the shows.

Cheryl

Hi Lavern

Hey if you make it to Congress I would love to meet you! I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you make it to Congress

I know you like to say "full blooded" miniatures but I am confused. Many of the horses you own are buckeroo and rowdy bred which of course means they are out of Shetland ponies. So why would you call them "full blooded" or "straight miniature"

I am not being sarcastic at all I am honestly very curious about why you use those terms.

And I totally agree that measuring is an issue but its not just an issue with ASPC/AMHR horses its in every height division. Since amha shows also have issues with this its not really a "shetland" problem but a problem across the board

Oh, I hope I can meet alot of people. I am also very anxious to watch the driving classes.

I am not unfamiliar with Shetland Ponies as I grew up riding them 50-55 years ago. I moved alot of cattle on the back of a Shetland as a kid. Ours were not very pretty, but could out work some of the saddle ponies. Some of them came from a respectable breeder in ND. But they sure weren't the Shetlands of today.

About the full blooded miniature thing. Yes, Rowdy and Buckeroo, are the two horses that make up the foundation of our breeding program. But Rowdy and Buckeroo themselves would not be what I considered full bloods They do not have enough generations of miniature breeding behind them, but their great grandchildren could be, if they were out of or sired by another horse with enough generations of registered miniature behind them.

Now a Shetland Pony could also be a full blooded miniature as long as it was registered miniature for many many generation.

It has nothing to do with the Shetland Pony --[SIZE=10pt]It has to do with how many generations of Miniature are in the pedigree. [/SIZE]

Yes you are right. There are height issues with all sizes and in both registries. It is just so obvious with the B sized horse and I think makes us look so foolish to see some that are so tall(over 38 inches) out there showing. And lets face it,it is usually a Shetland or a Shetland Cross doing it.. Our credibility just goes down the tubes.

I THINK MINI'S SHOULD BE KEPT AS SUCH,THAT IS WHAT MOST OF US WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. I AGREE WITH SPLITING THE CLASSES EITHER A OR B. THOSE OF US THAT HAVE A MINI'S THAT DRIVE CAN'T REALLY COMPETE WITH THE LARGER B MINI'S THAT ARE SHETLAND/MINI CROSSES.

I do have a question about the "feisty" in the miniature. Do you think that certain bloodlines carry that FEISTY characteristic in the blood and past this on to offspring? As we strive to improve this breed will certain old characteristics be lost?

Yes I do believe "feisty" is passed on. We have a mare that is AMHR/AMHA and we have had at least 9 or 10 foals from her. In our barn, her "Dancer" foals are the fiestiest to work with. For us, that also translates to the "most fun" cause they are a challenge. Several have done very well in the show ring and while--like most minis--they do have shetland in their backround, they would probably be considered a "foundation" of sorts as you can trace them back in the AMHA/AMHR for many generations. Most of my foundation shetlands are more laid back then my Dancer Kids and now a couple of the Dancer grandkids as well.

I have a few fiesty horses here, one is a sweet coming yearling miniature filly Michigan/Kamelot bred....one is a mare in foal Egyptian king/Rowdy/Buckeroo bred and the other is a coming two year old classic shetland filly king lee/arenosa/bobcat bred. Ive heard somewhere arenosa line is known for being a tad hot.

Some horses are just hotter then others, that should not represent a breed. Ive stated more then once that yes my shetland filly that i am showing currently is allot of filly, but i am not speeking for the whole breed. My coming yearling miniature filly is sweet sweet sweet but she is one feisty little 29" brat on some days.

I just want to throw in a word or two about temperments, every one is acting like mini's are the sweetest things on the earth and shetlands are totally high strung. If you have ever looked for a farrier to do feet, you know you better have your running shoes on to catch that farrier after they find out you have mini's, they all think that they are the most unruly little cusses to do.
Actually the reason most farriers don't want to do minis has to do with the bending over part.

AND if you don't get on your knees or really bend over, they do act bad because you've got their legs in an awfully uncomfortable position. I've never had another farrier say they think they're bad little horses. The only way for the horse and the farrier to be comfortable is to get on your knees and most of the guys don't want to be bothered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheryl, you are close to where she goes to school, I will be sure and tell her to read this thread. She doesn't have too much of a problem with a horse fix since she comes home every weekend.
default_smile.png
But she is a lot like me and loves to go and look at others! She is a senior this year and has a pretty tough schedule.

After reading this whole thread there is a lot of good opinions out there. LaVern I understood what you were saying about Congress. With 330 or so classes, 400 or so ponies I can understand what you are saying. I do know there are some large classes that are very difficult.

I agree the problem is not the 2nd set of papers the horse may or may not have but the actual height of the horses in the ring. It has gotten totally out of control. I do not know the answer but I sure hope one is found soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back