Miniature mortality insurance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Please give me some ideas on good insurance companies....need to set up some policies soon...
default_wink.png

Hi, Linda --

I am not for sure I'd even bother insuring a horse for only mortality.

People who do so need to know that if the insured horse is injured or sick and regardless of how expensive the recommended treatment may be, if it's not done, that policy will not pay off if the horse passes away.

Right now, and since 2005, I have insured Destiny and DunIT through GenCorp for both major medical (each $7,500) and mortality ($17,500 combined). The annual premium is just over $1,000 but is worth the peace of mind it gives me. I think it's around 3% for the mortality and $250 each for the major medical rider.

Good luck,

Jill

Gen Corp will not cover you with one horse I called cause I had heard good things about them and was quite put off I would choose not to use them. I found the lady to be very very rude if not argumentative
default_wacko.png

They have a minimum policy. Most places have a minimum single policy per horse like $150.00 mortality be it for a 1500.00 horse or a up to $3000.00 horse but they have a minimum as in you must spend I think it was $1000 or $1500.00 a year no matter how little coverage you need. Maybe I just caught her on a bad day but I was really turned off.

I use Equisport. They are reasonable and friendly and have great customer service something that is very important to me. . I have surgical as well and that is an additional $150 per year per horse. They will insure just one horse for you or multiple horses for you

Last edited by a moderator:
I go through Connaway and associates, Very nice to deal with, they will talk you through the policies to find what best suites you, and they do not talk down to you.

Thanks Jill and Lisa! I know I had checked into insurance way back when I had a whole herd (seems like forever ago now...
default_unsure.png
) but I couldn't remember the details on what you should insure for (other than death) but yes, I of course I would want the medical part as well.

Lisa, like you, customer service is a HUGE deal for me (having been in the CS business for years now I understand how important it is) and bad cust. service can for me either make or break a business deal.

Are there others out there?

Thank you Carolyn...we were posting at same time, so I didnt see you had answered!

Google Johne Dobbs Equine Insurance. she covers 1 or 100, mortality or full coverage, even loss of use. super prices, I have used her for over 23 yrs. fill out the forms online, fax them in and you are covered immediately. she has over 60 companies to use. great lady, great company

I used Agri-Risk and dealt with a very nice lady name LaVon Hess.

I never had a claim, but felt that they were helpful to me.

Liz

I had a claim with Agri-Risk. They covered Khaki way back in 2003 when she needed colic surgery as a yearling. I had no trouble w/ them processing the claim and paying out
default_smile.png

Thanks Angela and Liz! I am going to look into a few companies today and see what they offer!

I used to use Great American but switched to Travelors, which has better service, higher coverage, and lower prices. I use Independant Equine Agents as my agent.

Latest posts

Back