Miniature Horse World Page 120

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie

Reaction score
I need to know if I am reading this right. Looks to me like there will be NO hardshipping in the year 2013. So foals born in 2008 will NOT be able to be hardshipped in before the closure?

I have two foals born this year (2008) that I was planning on hardshipping in 2013 (the year they turn 5). I cannot hardship in the mares and get these guys in earlier-the mares are AMHR but the foals are very tiny.

Please let me know if I read this right -just got my magazine today. This will determine if I keep these foals or sell them.

Hardshipping will close on Dec 31, 2013 so that any foal born in 2008 can be hardshipped in.

Hi there,

How do you hardship a mare and/or foal? My mare is 29 and only AMHR. Her 2008 foal will definately be under 34. How much does it cost? Thanks, Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless things have changed, the horse has to be five years old, and you just download the hardship form, send it in with $641 for the hardshipping and DNA, they will send out the DNA kit, yada yada, when that is all done a director will make arrangements to measure the horse, send in the appropriate paperwork and voila, she is hardshipped. After the mare is in, assuming the baby is out of a double registered stallion, it can be progeny hardshipped at 1/2 price. If the stallion isn't double registered, you have to wait until the baby turns five to repeat the process.

Hardshipping will close on Dec 31, 2013 so that any foal born in 2008 can be hardshipped in.
That is what I thought also but please explain what this means since it seems to expressly remove the hardship section on 1-1-13 :??? Thanks!

#184 Registration Procedure- (excerpted below)

(Note: The following strike through sentence will remain in the AMHA rulebook until January 1, 2013). As of December 31, 1987 only foals of previously registered sires and dams are eligible for registration, with the exception of those horses qualifying under the hardship clause. (this sentence will remain in the rulebook until 1-1-13). Amended 12-6-03, effective 01-04). Beginning January 1, 2009 2013, only offspring of two (2) AMHA registered horses shall be eligible for registration. The AMHA shall have the right to require parent qualification by DNA of any horse whose parentage is in question.

Delete the entire Hardship #193 section when the rule is effective January 1, 2013.

Suzie,

I sure agree that the way it is stated really looks like it is closed as of January 1, 2013.

But I know I have seen it discussed as giving the 2008 foals a chance to be hardshipped.

I'll also be interested in hearing how they explain the way it is worded.

Susan O.

I asked my director about this since the By Law change reflects the registry closing date of December 31, 2013 and yet the Rules and Regs change says January 1, 2013. He thinks it is just a typo and should be Dec 31, 2013, but is waiting for an answer from the rest of the Board, the By Laws committee and the Rules and Regs committee.

I agree with Becky, I was at the meeting that voted to close the registry on Dec 31, 2013 so that all 2008 foals could be hardshipped. I think the typo is Jan 1, 2013 should be Jan 1, 2014.

I agree with Becky, I was at the meeting that voted to close the registry on Dec 31, 2013 so that all 2008 foals could be hardshipped. I think the typo is Jan 1, 2013 should be Jan 1, 2014.
Thanks- I was wondering if it was a typo also. If so, it certainly needs to be corrected.
default_new_shocked.gif

On another thread previously about changes on page 120- this comment was made, which got me thinking. So it does look like they need to clarify this more.

Just a quick note from me.

I was at the National meeting last year when this rule was passed that the stud book would close and there would be no hardshipping in 2013. By closing the studbook, it becomes a genetic breed instead of a height registry, where being registered or not is based on pedigree and the parents being registered, no longer the horse's height.

AMHA has several years before this rule goes into effect to allow AMHA to decide what to do about horses over 34". There is the oppertunity for AMHA to allow, after 2013, if a foal of 2 AMHA parents goes over 34" it to still be registered, but not be able to show, but can breed. And also figure out the best way to handle horses that today are from 2 AMHA parents but went over 34" Nothing other then the stud book closing has been made official yet, and there are still several years to figure that out. SO voice your opinions and ideas to your AMHA director and AMHA.

--------------------

Versatility Training Center, training the TOTAL horse!

Latest posts

Back