Miniature Horse shows or clubs in your area?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiteraMiniatures

Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of posts recently on fun shows and local shows that you guys are taking your Minis to. The closest shows I've found that we could enter our minis in are atleast 3hrs away (unless I'm just not looking close enough haha) SOMETIMES once a year a place holds a fun show where there is a halter class for Minis, but that's it locally. I just looked up Miniature Horse Clubs and the only states without any are AK, AL, MS, HI, GA, and northern FL lol I live in southern Alabama so yeah there basically aren't any we could regularly take our horses to. The only Mini horse farms (3) I know of that are nearby all send their few show horses off with professionals to be shown in other states.

So, does anyone else have this issue? Are there any clubs or shows that I'm just unaware of that you guys know about?

Thanks
default_smile.png

How far are u from Fl? There will be a show in Nov. in Marianna Fl. YOu can contact Dixi Cohea if you want too.

the website for the show is.

www.jfmshows/sales.com

hope to see you there in Nov.

I cant help with shows in your area but go to your feed store or your vet or anybody that has a horse and see if they have a horse club in your area and than see if you can start a minature horse division of the local club.

I started one here and we are having a great time. Once a month and I dont know much but I am learning and I just get local horse people to judge(like your farrier or someone that has shown horses). Lots of people will help you as there is a need for fun shows and get togethers.

I would just go to the local saddleclub shows and put my mini in halter, showmanship and in-hand trail with the big guys!

Leia

We have a 4h club and we had the same problem in our area in Massachusetts. We went to a local stable that hosted fun shows. They were more thatn happy to add up to 8 classes for our minis. We guarenteed them 5 horses and there were other people who brought their minis along.

Last fall we went to the 4h horse advisory committee and requested to put miniatures in the horse show rule book. Our county next to us added 4 classes. Which isn't very many, but it is an open show and we are hoping that it will catch on. We have ahd 2 shows so far, and at the horse bowl. It was indicated that next year they would add on more. We also got classes added onto the State Horse Show in the fall.
default_yes.gif

My advise to you is to find people in your area and start a club and then try to organise some fun shows through a stable that has fun shows for big horses.

Best of luck>

I'm in the same boat with you. There is only one show in my state per year and its always a great show and also 3 hours away. There was talk in the past about trying to do more here but it never came about. Sad. The only local shows here are just barrel racing and speed events so that doesn't help anything. I feel your pain.

hunterridgefarm: thanks
biggrin.gif
that show is a little under 3hrs from our farm so it's def possible we could make it, especially since we know plenty of time ahead.

Little Bits: that's a really good idea...I know a lady who works with 4h in Mississippi so maybe we could work something out with them.
smile.gif

Marty: Exactly! The only halter classes are at a rinky dink western show that honestly doesn't have the best atmosphere...which is why we don't show there. There is constantly talk of someone bring in more Miniature Horse shows/classes but nothing ever happens. I'm at blame too...but then again I can't even drive yet so even if I did talk some people into offering Mini classes I'd have to convince a family member to drive the trailer haha. Maybe within the next year I can actually get some change around here...I think a lot of the youth would benifiet from the Minis. Some just get so overwelmed with the large horses, but take so well to the little horses. The adults love them too of course xD

Thanks so much guys
wub.gif

Same problem in Maryland - or I should say Southern Maryland. I've contacted 4H offices for years and they just don't include miniatures (in separate classes due to lack of entries I guess).

There's one local outfit here that puts on regular shows in the area but no miniatures - never thought about going up against big horses. LOL

No AMHA shows around here, heard there's an R show in Delaware this weekend (or sometime soon), which could be driveable so maybe look into that next year.

Would love to get the grandchildren into showing miniatures but just nothing around us convenient for the practice (to eventually move up to AMHA and make the commute worth it) and hometown horse shows/competition don't have minis. Hard for them to learn if there are no other minis to watch and learn by.

The problem for us is there are NO other miniature breeders or owners in the area - those that might have a grade mini pet as a companion for their big horse wouldn't show it - not the caliber - so we'd be showing against ourselves anyway - although still would be fun and maybe folks would catch on and want to purchase some - marketing strategy? Yep, maybe so. LOL

We have a stallion with the trainer now and all the shows are extremely far away, too much for us to do with full time jobs and being away from the farm an entire weekend with all the horses we have here that need care.

I'd sure like to see some AMHA things move closer to our area!

Same problem in Maryland - or I should say Southern Maryland. I've contacted 4H offices for years and they just don't include miniatures (in separate classes due to lack of entries I guess).

There's one local outfit here that puts on regular shows in the area but no miniatures - never thought about going up against big horses. LOL

No AMHA shows around here, heard there's an R show in Delaware this weekend (or sometime soon), which could be driveable so maybe look into that next year.

Would love to get the grandchildren into showing miniatures but just nothing around us convenient for the practice (to eventually move up to AMHA and make the commute worth it) and hometown horse shows/competition don't have minis. Hard for them to learn if there are no other minis to watch and learn by.

The problem for us is there are NO other miniature breeders or owners in the area - those that might have a grade mini pet as a companion for their big horse wouldn't show it - not the caliber - so we'd be showing against ourselves anyway - although still would be fun and maybe folks would catch on and want to purchase some - marketing strategy? Yep, maybe so. LOL

We have a stallion with the trainer now and all the shows are extremely far away, too much for us to do with full time jobs and being away from the farm an entire weekend with all the horses we have here that need care.

I'd sure like to see some AMHA things move closer to our area!

That would be a good marketing strategy
wink.gif
haha. You should definitely try showing your minis against the big horses, I bet you'd get a lot of curious people asking you questions. People around here just randomly stop at our place and ask to pet our small ponies all the time lol.

I wouldn't take no for an answer. I was asked how many horses I could guarantee. We at the time had 5 ponies and that is how we started.

Also are there any pinto shows in your area. I don't know if you have pintos. but they do them up here and they are starting to take off.

You have to take baby steps. Maybe start a club weather it is 4h or otherwise and advocate for yourselves. Try to get as many people as you can maybe put on an exhibition at a local county fair. Many of the fairs are looking for entertainment.

Sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns.
default_new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Southern Colorado, we are fortunate to have 2 active miniature horse clubs.

The Magnificient Miniatures Horse Club holds shows at Pueblo West, Colorado once a month. This club is set up for Pinto OCAP activity.

The Horsin' Around Miniature Fun Club holds shows at Los Pinos in Florence, Colorado.

Both clubs present ribbons for all classes and have year end high point awards.

We have a great time at the shows, which are well attended.

If you want furthur information on either group, I would be happy to get information to you. My contact is [email protected]

Here in Southern Colorado, we are fortunate to have 2 active miniature horse clubs.

The Magnificient Miniatures Horse Club holds shows at Pueblo West, Colorado once a month. This club is set up for Pinto OCAP activity.

The Horsin' Around Miniature Fun Club holds shows at Los Pinos in Florence, Colorado.

Both clubs present ribbons for all classes and have year end high point awards.

We have a great time at the shows, which are well attended.

If you want furthur information on either group, I would be happy to get information to you. My contact is [email protected]
White Tail-there are 3 AMHR shows every year in Delaware at the Delaware State Fairgrounds in Harrington,DE.Beautiful facilities.Show starts on Th&Fr with Area One show on Sat&Sun Usual dates are mid-May, first weekend in June and July 4 th weekend.Contact Nina O'Bryan at [email protected] for show info .We also have a show circuit for big horses which added Mini classes at our request.We now have Reg Mini Halter, unreg Mini halter, Mini trail,Jumping I think and can compete in Showmanship and driving.sometimes the Mini classes are the biggest at these shows.Many of the big horse people now own Minis after seeing how much fun they are and cheaper to keep and easier to haul to a show-lots less of everything to carry.

If you start looking I am sure you will find Minis in your area.Boss Mare on here is from Mechanicsville,MD and I sold her some Minis-I know she has several.She might know of others who have Minis.

There has always been a lack of shows in this area. A few years ago, there was a show in Andalusia, AL that did really well... We discussed adding or moving one of the shows to Marianna last year at Nationals, If we get a good turnout, and so far right now, it is looking good.. Bob had talked about having a couple shows a year there.. Hope to see you there... It will be a really fun show. It is a Full Rated AMHA and AMHR, ASPC, ASPR show.....

We are in Ga! and wish there were more shows to go to : ( with out driving more than three hours.

Latest posts

Back