Miniature donkey questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YHFF Miniature Horses

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a mini jenny today and was wondering what kinds of wormer I can use to safely worm her. Can you use the safe stuff as the minis? She is supposed to be six months old. I got her at an auction and she is extremely thin. I have no idea when she was last wormed, if ever. I’ve never had any prior experience with donkeys so any info. Is greatly appreciated. We’re not getting into the mini donkeys, we just wanted one as a future guard animal for the minis. There are some mini donkey farms near me, so I’m sure that they can give me some pointers too. She will be with my weanling horses eventually ,which are about the same age once I know that there’s nothing wrong with her and they will get along, etc. As far as I can tell she is just skinny, and doesn’t have diseases or anything.

Also, if anyone has any experiences that they would like to share with putting a mini donkey in with a herd of minis that would be great!

Thanks,

Courtney

I can't help you with this one, but if you post it under Mini Donkey Talk you might get more answers
default_wink.png
:

In case you don't know about the donkey forum, it's right when you sign on to the LB Forum, theirs a list of different kinds of forums, the donkeys is one of them. To answer your questions, yes, use the same kind and dose of wormer as a horse. I hope you do some research on your donkey, they are very different animals than horses. I believe all donkey people and experts will always recommend having two donkeys together, they will bond with horses but will not be happy without a donkey companion. I've seen donkeys that wouldn't even eat without a donkey companion. Alot of donkeys are not gaurd animals and mini donkeys are quite often to small. Alot of the big donkey farms won't even sell their foals for gaurd animals, it's just a big job for such a small animal. I hope you find your way to the LB Donkey Forum.

I didn't know about the donkey forum, I'll be sure to visit it quite often now. Thanks for all of the input, we've been debating on getting another jenny incase Sweet Pea gets lonely. We'll definately start looking for one! I thought that the mini donkeys were awful small to be a guard animal, I just figured that it would be a bonus if my jenny did become protective. But Believe me, all my horses come in every night and so will sweet pea. There's just to many wild animals out there for any animal to handle, even for those big white dogs guard dogs. I would never entrust the lives of my minis with one mini donkey or even several donkeys (I'd worry about, who would protect the donkeys?).

Anyways, I'll have to see about finding a donkey buddy for Sweet Pea. Thanks,

Courtney

I wish more people, knowledgeable people would answer Courtneys thread, Courtney, just so you know, not alot of people come on this forum, they don't mean to be ignoring you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Hi Courtney! And welcome to the forum! :aktion033: I am sort of new to mini donkeys myself always having had horses but I do know a couple of things that you were concerned about.[/SIZE]

First, I've learned that a single donkey is a lonely donkey.
default_yes.gif
: They really need companionship of another donkey. My year old jack is best buddies with my miniature horse, so that might work for you too.

Second, you can always use Safeguard for worming. But this time of year as I'm sure you know with your horses, you really need to use an ivermectin product to kill the worms and bots. Bots start emerging from the ground in the fall and continue through winter. Just be careful to give the correct dosage especially on the Ivermectin or it can cause scours.
default_wacko.png
: If you will worm her every 30 days until she is a year old and get her on a good mineral suppliment, she will get everything the good Lord intended her to have!
default_yes.gif
:

There are some very nice and knowledgeable people on here and I'm sure they will post some of their ideas when they get a chance.
default_smile.png

Congratulations on your new donkey! Please post a picture when you get a chance. We love pictures!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: Shannon
default_smile.png

Hi And WELCOME to the forum, I am glad Marnie was able to direct you here. I am so glad you will be owned by a donkey, you just cant help but fall in love with them. You worm and do shots the same as a horse, but donkeys are more prone to lung worms, then horses, but ivermectin can take care of those, and you can also do the panacur 5 day with a donkey just like a horse. Donkeys hooves do have a differant angle to them then a horse would..there more straight up and down. Not all donkeys make good guard donkeys. I have 4 that will guard with there lives, and protect my mini horses, but 2 others, who both were rescues, will back away from anything they dont like. My donkeys have kept a large bear at bay for 5 days, just by there running the fence line and braying as loud as possible, and not backing away from the fence where the bear was walking. If the bear took 10 steps so did the donkeys! My donkeys dont even let the barn cats cut thry THERE pasture, but at the same time they are as good as gold with the mini horses and foals. BUT PLEASE keep in mind NOT all donkeys will guard. BEing that she is a young thin donkey I would just give her some junior feed(I feed Neutrena Junior) and a good quality hay, but once she is mature --donkeys do not need to be grained, and if grained to much they will develope a crest on there neck. DOnkeys are herd animals and LOVE companionship of there own kind, they will develope a bond with horses but once you put another donkey in...its like LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
default_yes.gif
: Cant wait to see a picture of your little gal. Littledonkeys, in answer to your question...yes, (I am the moderator of the donkey forum) I can move post here, deleat, pin, and do a few other things, so if you ever need help let me know, however I was gone most of the weekend and just got on now. Corinne

Back