Mini to Nursing Home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
This Saturday is my aunts birthday. She is in the nursing home here with a very rare form of cancer. I am planning on taking one of our 5 mos old colts to see her. I hope she will make it this long since she has requested them to remove her feeding tube. I would really like the mini to help brighten her day some.

Anyway what do you guys do with them before taking them to see the residents as far as cleaning them, etc? I know the colt we are taking will do ok in the situation as have had him out on several different outings. But I really don't want to give him a bath since it is cold out. Do you just brush them out really good and maybe wash their hooves? Oh yes we did get an old innertube to make booties out of for him, so he won't slip on the floors.

Was curious as what you guys do to prepare them? Have gotten permission from the Activity Director to make this a monthly affair - should be fun. So I really do want to know what you all do to them.

Thanks a bunch!

Lots of brushing and we like Miracle Groom spray while grooming.....Cleaning their nose and eyes with baby wipes too and then, wiping off the hooves and picking them..... covering them with vet wrap just before going into the nursing home. (I'd bring extra baby wipes for the ride -- just incase.

MA

I don't use anything that will get my horse very wet this time of year. I do lots of brushing and then vacumn them. Sometimes repeating this process a couple of times until I can scratch their back and no more dirt comes out. I don't use the vacumn on the head, so I will clean the head and ears good with a wet washcloth or babywipes--also repeating until the cloth comes away clean. I then will usually spray them with a dog product called 'fresh & clean' that can be gotten at most larger pet stores. Just remember that with the spray--a little goes a long way to making your horse smell much less horsey. I've done this with many horses and llamas over the last 5 years. Good luck and have fun.

I ditto the cleaning things above. I go weekly and I like the fast and easy getting ready. I use a pair of dog boots with non skid on them and a muzzle. It seems like the foal is happier if I am not constantly watching his teeth and I can let him be a little more free. I take my guy once a week, bedside through the entire building. The people love it and though I drag my feet to get there, I love it too. Have a good time, because the smiles you will bring will make your day.

Oh I forgot, they will want to give him treats, not a good idea as mine looked for treats from everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a bucket of warm soappy water to get teh mud off Chiefs legs then blow dry them! Then I vacume him and use babywhips on his face and he gets his tennis shoes on and away we go! I do clip the long whiskers and a bridle path just to make him look nice and to make his halter fit better!

RNR

When one of ours was Rudolph in the school play last year it was really cold out and he had a really long coat by then. I vaccummed him several times with a wet and dry vac going against the hair growth, I took a bucket of hot water and scrubbed his head and wiped him down all over, used Miracle Groom all over and then because he was wetter than I wanted, I put towels down all over the floor in the foyer of the house (husband wasn't home) and brought him inside and used a blow dryer on him to dry him out and then took clippers and clipped the whiskers, bridle path, cleaned up his face (long hairs only) clipped the hair on his fetlocks and scrubbed and polished his hooves. We put the TV on in the living room which he could see from the foyer and he loved his house visit. I was pickier than usual about how he looked because he was going to be on stage in front of a big audience.

Thank you for your replies - computer had messed up so just read them. Also am excited as am adopting 3 pygmy goats this Saturday - won't one of them look cute with the mini at the Nursing Home. Since Halloween is this month we have a straw hat and a necktie for Junior. Figured next month could do an Indian, Pilgrim or Turkey - haven't decided yet. And of course December - I already have the Santa hats bought off clearance last year for a quarter! This is going to be fun!

I would like to go once a week but things are soooo hectic around our place will be good to go once a month for now. Maybe one of these days will get on track and can do it once a week. I am sure looking forward to it and hope the residents will enjoy it enough to look forward to it also.

Junior will be bedside also as my aunt is bedridden and this is the main reason we are going as it is her birthday Saturday.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and ideas. I am always open to any more that you are willing to give.

Vickie

Something on the hooves is very important. If you get off the carpet and onto the tile in the halls or rooms, your guy will slip like he's on ice. Another thing that happened to me was walking up to the double glass doors. My horse ran into the closed door--I didn't know he couldn't tell it wasn't an opening! The vet wrap is good for about half an hour, then it wears out. Also, don't let anyone take photos of residents without permission. I got into trouble with that when I went to the nursing home. Hope your poor aunt gets her birthday treat.

Marsha

I really like Mercy to be bathed before we go to a nursing home...the Show Sheen or Laser Sheen helps with dust and the horsey smell.

Hooves are wrapped in Vetrap or duct tape...whiskers clipped and manes trimmed.

I have a special halter I use only for service visits - it stays clean and nice.

I do not let anyone feed Mercy as she gets obnoxious... if they want to give her treats, we collect them in a "horsie bag" and she gets to share them with her friends at home. I have had one nursing home give us a large turkey platter filled with carrot sticks and apple slices... and it was all for Mercy!

I keep a clean up bag ready in case of accidents - we have been lucky in that Mercy prefers her horse trailer to the nursing homes and schools we visit.

Your horse should back up and sidepass on voice command - some residents live in tight quarters and we have had to step in and back out on occasion. He/she should not be upset by being crowded - Mercy is usually surrounded by residents in wheelchairs and walkers when we go.

Good luck with your visit - hope your aunt has a good birthday!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Back