Mini Teeth and Carl Mitz

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgtman

Reaction score
Subject: Equine Dentistry Meeting

Texas is not allowing anyone except vets to do anything with horses teeth. This is going to be a real hardship on all miniature horses owners. Vets do not have the equipment to work on miniature horses and the vets in our area do not want to "mess" with mini teeth. The Rules Committee of the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners

> will

> conduct a public meeting on April 30, 2007, beginning at 9:00 a.m. in room

> 100, William P. Hobby Building, 333 Guadalupe, Austin, Texas to discuss

> and

> receive testimony on the practice of equine dentistry by lay persons, and

> the possible adoption of rules to regulate such practice. If you care about the future of Equine Dentistry in General and miniature horse industry friend Carl Mitz in particular, you need to be at this meeting. Sherry and I will be there to voice our opinions and concerns. Carl and all your horses need as many miniature horse people at the meeting as possible. It is the pressure you exerted contacting the state and your officials about this problem that brought about this meeting. The General Counsel for the State is Lee.Mathews and his email is <[email protected]> Contact him with any questions. Carl Mitz can be reached at his email, [email protected]. If you can not be present, email the General Counsel and or your State Rep. I hope to see you there.

bump - I don't live in Texas but can bump this up for you

WHAT???? THANK YOU for going to this! I am not in TX so no way I can go - - - I thought this had not been passed and it was ok for them to do this? :new_shocked:

This is RIDICULOUS! Our vet here wont even work on teeth any more. We are refered to an equine dentist, so always have Carl out once a year.

I dont know what people's problems are these days.... Please keep us informed!!

I received a "Thank You" from Lee Matthews for my letter of concern and an invitation to the meeting. Unfortunatly I won't be able to attend but I'm hoping you will carry the message. Vets want to be vets. The ones I know don't want to do dental work or for that matter, and it has been proposed, farrier work or massage therapy.

default_smile.png

Just asked our Vet about floating our horses teeth and she said No. She said she can't be good at everything and working on teeth is not her thing. So i agree. I am a long way from Texas LOL but this should be on everyone's list of to-do things. Educate yourselves and contact the proper people to inform them of your wants and needs.

Florida tried to do something similar however Fl decided that it was OK for a dentist not to be a vet if they were not using power tools, only power tools can be used by a vet.

I don't know Carl and I don't know how he works however maybe someone thats involved in this can pull up the FL legislation and send it to the people in the know in TX.

Karen

Florida tried to do something similar however Fl decided that it was OK for a dentist not to be a vet if they were not using power tools, only power tools can be used by a vet.

I don't know Carl and I don't know how he works however maybe someone thats involved in this can pull up the FL legislation and send it to the people in the know in TX.

Karen
WHAT? Only vets can use "power tools"?
default_wacko.png
: Good grief...what's next!? :no: I thought the only stipulation was that dentists who weren't also vets, could not give shots, or meds to sedate.

Carl does use power tools when necessary....and quite well, I might add.
default_yes.gif
: He does all my minis MUCH better than our vet can...and even our vet admits it! He welcomes Carl to do the teeth, as he doesn't have the proper equipment for Minis dental care.

<<<I thought the only stipulation was that dentists who weren't also vets, could not give shots, or meds to sedate>>>>.

This is in there also, but I have a friend that is a dentist in Fl and that is what she told me, that its vets only on power tools, this was a compromize to keep it from going to a vets only for anything dentistry related. There are many states in which it is Vets only for Dentistry, NC, VA, TN for example and many others.

Karen

I thought this entire matter had been dropped? :no: The real issue at hand here is enforcement. They can't enforce a law that no one reports is being broken. Granted, the equine dentists will have to stop advertising, but there's always word of mouth.

I honestly don't see this passing.

It makes things much harder... what if the dentist makes a mistake and injures the horse? They would be uninsured, since no insurance company would insure someone for illegal activities. You would be at a loss, and only you would suffer because of it.

I personally will always use a vet for my horse's dentistry, but I've had the privledge of working with vets who had specialized in dentistry.

I thought this entire matter had been dropped? :no: The real issue at hand here is enforcement. They can't enforce a law that no one reports is being broken. Granted, the equine dentists will have to stop advertising, but there's always word of mouth.

I honestly don't see this passing.
The persons that have been working on horses teeth in any manner have been sent "cease and desist letters". The penalty for not complying is a $5,000 fine and up to 6 months in jail. It just takes one complaint and the party is over. They are not willing to take that chance and will leave Texas for a better business climate. The original law has already passed. If there is not new language put into the law that allows exceptions it appears that things will stand as they are now. This is just my opinion. Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes things much harder... what if the dentist makes a mistake and injures the horse? They would be uninsured, since no insurance company would insure someone for illegal activities. You would be at a loss, and only you would suffer because of it.

I personally will always use a vet for my horse's dentistry, but I've had the privledge of working with vets who had specialized in dentistry.
You are very lucky. I am assuming that there is a better ratio of vets to horses in Ky. We are located north of Houston and have 4 Vet Clinics that are located about 30 miles away. None of them make farm calls. They are just too busy. My main vet does not take appointments. Trailers start to get in line as early as 5 AM and they do not open until 8:30. If you arrive a 9, you stand a good chance of spending the entire day before your horse can be seen and they stay until the last trailer of horses is taken care of and that can be as late as 8 PM. Technically they close at 5:30. We have 144 minis. We have all their teeth checked once a year. You can see what a night mare it would be to trailer them to the vet and have to wait your turn! Our Texas vet colleges are graduating very few Large Animal Vets. The students want to work on the small animals. Less of chance of getting injured. Training in Equine Dentistry is practically non-existent. Count your blessings in KY!

The vet dentists I've been the client of were in Colorado and New Hampshire... Its really disappointing to hear that there is such a shortage of vets out there
default_sad.png

I spoke with Carl's Atty. this morning and it seems that there is a concerted fight by the Vet. Association to keep Carl and his like from doing these little guys teeth. I would encourage anyone that uses this service to write, even if you are not in the State of Texas. It is my understanding that if this is sucessful here in Texas there are 5 other neighboring states that will be moving to copy the Texas laws and move forward with those restrictions. If that happens we all could be in a world of hurt.

Anyone that can find the time, please send letters and go to the meeting and sign up to speak if you can. Cindy and I will be there to have our say, we hope to see everyone there.

:saludando:

Thank you very much John. Is there a particular address that we can all write to? Or a particular person as well?

This is ridiculous. I have never met a vet who specialized in dentistry, so anyone who has found one is lucky. Our vet will not do teeth and many others are refusing as well, and refer clients to 'equine dentists' for the work.

I cannot EVER imagine waiting in a line like that for veterinary care for ANY reason! That is horrible to have to do so! I have a feeling that a vet in your area that would make house calls would make a killing there and be VERY popular!

I will call the ATTY. and ask her who she wants them sent to and post it a little later in the day.

:aktion033:

It is very frustrating here in Texas. The vets we have don't partiularly like working on minis in the first place. Secondly the one vet here that does do teeth does a horrible job. Even I can tell the difference between the equine dentist doing the job versus the vet. Huge difference in attention to detail.

I sure hope I can make it to the meeting as well. Otherwise could one of you post the email or physical address to send the letters to. I certainly don't want this to happen.

Okay folks, here is what I have been able to put together as far as contacts etc.

Item 1 below is the executive director and will recieve emails, hard copy letters etc. it was suggestted that even if you send an email a snail mail would carry more weight.

Item 2 is the web page contact list for the state of texas representatives that should get emails also if possible.

Item 3 is the email from the states General counsel laying the time place etc of the meeting.

Hope that helps and we can deluge them with letters etc. I was also ask to say please keep the thoughts conscise, direct and explanatory. Also please be as cordial as possible in explaining our situation and need for this service within our industry. items such as special tools, methodology etc would be of special interest.

Thanks in Advance folks<

1. Dewey E. Helmcamp III, J.D., Executive Director, Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners to express your concerns.

Contact information: Phone: 512-305-7555 Fax: 512-305-7556

Email: [email protected] Website: http://www.tbvme.state.tx.us

2. http://www.house.state.tx.us/resources/faq.htm#who_rep

To: <[email protected]>

Subject: Fw: Equine Dentistry Meeting

Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:33:51 -0500

"Susan Hallmark"

; "Janice Pope" ; "Min

Horse" ; "Molly Clark" ; "Tony Greaves"

; "Janell Jensen" ; "Ann Updyke"

; "Wild Oak Farm"

Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 10:07 AM

Subject: Equine Dentistry Meeting

> The Rules Committee of the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners

> will

> conduct a public meeting on April 30, 2007, beginning at 9:00 a.m. in room

> 100, William P. Hobby Building, 333 Guadalupe, Austin, Texas to discuss

> and

> receive testimony on the practice of equine dentistry by lay persons, and

> the possible adoption of rules to regulate such practice. Among the

> topics

> for discussion will be the status of equine dentistry in Texas,

> qualifications for practitioners, supervision of lay persons by

> veterinarians, an appropriate regulatory framework for rules, and

> associated

> issues. Following the meeting, the Rules Committee may propose rules to

> address the issues. The public will have a later opportunity to comment

> on

> any rules presented to the Board. Written comments will also be accepted.

>

> Please contact me if you have any questions.

>

> Lee Mathews

> General Counsel

Does anyone have Carl Mitz cell phone number?? I really need to get in touch with him and I know he is on the road, so his email or home phone are of no use.

Thanks for your help

We are located north of Houston and have 4 Vet Clinics that are located about 30 miles away. None of them make farm calls. They are just too busy.
First of all, you just need to move north a little
default_smile.png
We have 5 good equine vets, all within about 30 minutes, and they DO make farm calls. The vet I use now has 4 vets in the clinic, your odds of getting someone out to the farm when you need them are great even though they are always busy. Dr T does lots of work with minis, and would be my first choice for reproductive work no matter where I lived lol. She also works with Carl and would not hesitate to defer to him on dental issues.

I plan to be at this meeting - anyone who can be there needs to, I think we are closer than we realize to losing a valuable resource here in Texas. I wrote a letter initially to Mr Helmcamp, and will do so again.

Also, we are about 30 minutes from downtown Austin - if anyone is coming in for this and needs somewhere to overnight, we have extra room.

Jan

added - iona, you have a pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back