Update on Carl Mitz

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
"The Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners will reconsider a proposed rule that would prohibit so-called "lay equine dentists" in that state from using motorized or air-powered files to float horses' teeth without the direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian.

General Council Nicole Oria said the board voted to reconsider the proposed rule Sept. 10 because veterinarians and non-veterinarian equine dentists strongly opposed it.

"Veterinarians opposed the rule because they believe it allows non-veterinarian equine dentists to do too much," Oria said. "The dentists opposed it because they say it would restrict them in their work."

Teeth floating is the filing or cutting of long points on a horse's teeth. Traditionally, both veterinarian and non-veterinarian equine dentists use non-mechanized handheld rasps to perform the procedure. The rule allows non-veterinarian tooth floaters to use manual rasps and files in their work.

Veterinarians argue that the motorized equipment does not eliminate the need for some horses to be sedated during tooth floating procedures. Sedation by an unlicensed veterinarian dentist is illegal in Texas.

Texas equine dentist Carl Mitz, a non-veterinarian who helps manufacturers develop the power-operated tools and instructs others, including veterinarians, in their use, said such tools facilitate and expedite the procedure, generally eliminating the need to sedate horses.

Oria said the board's rules committee will offer recommendations about the rule before the full board meets again in December."

Thank you Joanne!!! It is just ridiculous that this continues on and on... The vets need to go do what they know how to do and let the dentists do what they know how to do well.
default_wacko.png

I have to say that Carl seems exceptional.
yes.gif

Personally here in California we do have some lay dentists that are not so good and do give illegal sedation and have gotten into trouble.

We also have some excellent equine veterinarians that were trained in dentistry and can give legal sedation. But I understand that not all veterinarians are good at dentistry or sedation as I have had to learn this first hand. I had a veterinarian give sedation in an artery! Luckily the horse survived.

We have an excellent equine veterinarian now that learned it in school and also stays current that I am thrilled to have. Worth her weight in gold!
aktion033.gif

Sounds like you lucked out and got a great vet now!

I agree, and I keep reminding myself, 50% of the vets out there graduated in the BOTTOM half of their class. Some are just not so hot. I love our vet but she doesnt like doing teeth.

I agree there are also people out there doing teeth that I would NOT consider qualified either- so just as we have to pick the right vet, the right mechanic, the right carpenter, the right doctor, dentist, farrier, etc.... we must also use our brains when picking an equine dentist.

I know someone who had a guy show up to do a big horse- and he asked her if she wanted the horse sedated. He was NOT a vet and the answer was NO!!! He was never asked back again!

So if they seem substandard, dont use them or ask them back again and spread the word- and hopefully will go out of business!

I just had a 16 year old mare's teeth floated, thankfully without a hitch. But the drill attachment they used was a lot more humane and easier to use and now has protection so the grinder doesn't hit the gums. Was much better and much quicker! Less sedation was used.

I hope that this gets cleared up soon. For the first time in years, Carl did not come up this way. Non of the vets around here have the proper equipment to do our horses and will sedate the horse before they even look inside the mouth to see if anything needs to be done.. They charge about $125 per horse whether they need the work or not.

CARL, PLEASE COME BACK!!

LOL, Laurie you crack me up. That is my motto, to realize some of the vets out there, and doctors, graduated at the bottom of their class. Too many people do not think about that.

I am very lucky to have a "ranchers" vet here that does a wonderful job with my minis. He floated a 21 yr old mare I had and although he sedates everytime, he was careful, got on his hands and knees, and did a wonderful job. Some day I hope to afford a mini lift for me and him. I would still rather have an equine dentist trained in miniatures, but that doesn't look likely in this neck of the sagebrush.

I agree, and I keep reminding myself, 50% of the vets out there graduated in the BOTTOM half of their class. Some are just not so hot. I love our vet but she doesnt like doing teeth
Because I am working VERY hard to try to even get into vet school, I do have to say that even the vets that graduated at the bottom half of their class had to get some amazing grades taking 18+ credits a semester of very high level courses. Vet school is harder to get into than med school-a 3.7 gpa is a the average plus you have to have around 400 hours of vet 'shadowing' clocked. That's just to get into vet school. To STAY in vet school, you have to maintain a 3.0 or better, but even then I was told that if you want to become employed, you have to get at least a 3.5 gpa because the occupation doesn't hire very often and when they do, it is extremely competitive. All vets worked extremely hard to get where they're at, trust me. The bad ones out there are just the ones that don't have the experience with minis or have become overworked and just don't have the 'heart' anymore or have gradually become lazy, etc. Even then they're probably still doing something right, because a vet clinic makes its money off of clients and if a vet is losing clients, he/she is not going to stay employed for long.

Sorry for the rant!

I hope this ends soon for Carl, thank you for the update Joanne!

Carl NEVER sedates horses himself. If one needs sedated (rare) he insists that we call a vet to do it.

Vet students only get a day or two of dentistry, not enough to make them close to expert. I would agree there needs to be some approval or licensing process to keep the quacks out of it. Most vets I know hate to do dentistry work, it is hard work.

Latest posts

Back