Mini horses and 4H

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyMoonMinis

Reaction score
I was recently promoted to organizational leader for our mini 4h horse club. Its a project club, though alot of the kids have other projects as well such as goat, dog etc. I was in 4H most of my youth and loved it. This is a really small club, about 14 kids or so. I will also be a project leader for the minis.

Im currently going over the project book that they've had from past years. There is only one book, and we have some cloverbuds, jrs, and seniors. Some kids are lvl 1, some are 2 and some are now 3 (the club is 3 yrs old). I want something in particular for the little kids, easier and fun for them to remember about the horses and of course get more advanced as the levels go up. I have some ideas, like limiting the parts of the horse they need to know so as not to overwhelm them, and add more in later. Any other book thoughts? Any online sources I can look at or other state mini project books floating around? Guidelines for moving to the next level?

Also, the mini project here doesn't have a safety book, which I feel is very important. Im going to revise the big horse safety guideline book, and want to add in things about driving, jumping and mini specific. Which reminds me, i need to ask about helmet requirements for driving. Anyways, Im fairly new to the mini world, and outside of basic horse safety, are there any resources/specifics I should look into adding that are miniature specific (esp driving)?

Im also thinking about doing things like a fun day for the kids in the summer. is it possible to convert most gymkhana type big horse events to mini events? wht legal specifics would i need to consider in organizing such an event?

What about obstacles? What kind of things would I expect to see on an obstacle course, so we can practice them next summer?

Any other 4H club ideas? Links online? My focus is to promote teamwork, safety and enjoyment with the horses, community spirit and leadership skills with the kids, and involvement of the parents. Its a great group of people.

Anything is welcome and thanks in advance!

Hi Gypsymoon,

Im a 4H sr. leader/ MA 4H teen ambassitor and my club has a simlilar set up to what you have, different projects (we have goat, sheep, dairy, rabbits, poultry) and my mom put together a mini club last year.

Im not sure about all the safety things (ahha) but you can always talk to my mom, she is Cindy4h on lilbeginnings or email her directly at [email protected]

I would definatly require a 4H'er to wear a helmet while driving a mini. Its just like riding a horse, its a basic safety feature. Most clubs or shows require youth to wear a helmet while driving.

As for gymkana events - mini's, we do that =] We started showing in a local schooling show and they added mini events so we have pole bending, barrel racing, musical stalls (like musical chairs), walk race (walk from one end of the ring to another only by walking). Some other ideas would be egg and spoon.

Some other obstacles would be walking over a tarp, trotting poles, backing(barrels, a circle), walking inbetween hay bales/nets, opening and closing a gate, weaving poles, ground tying, piviots (sp).

For some of the clubs meetings my mom will ask us to look up a breed of horse and then present it to the club. An easy project that will help them with communication skills, they learn about horses, and if you are working towards hippology or visuals, it will also help with that.

Good luck and have fun!

- Jenny

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fellow 4her.

As far as source books and safety you may want to try and use Safetywise girl scouts handbooks. They have general guidelines for safety that maybe useful. Revising the big horse safety guideline will work also you just need to modify it a little.

How about a pin the body part on the mini segment in each meeting and discuss the functions, ect of the particular parts. Make a hippology bowl contest at the end of the season and give a prize. Make it a fun learning experince.

As far as driving helmets the same ones you use for riding work the same for driving. There is really no difference.

Hands on experince is you best bet. Inviting a farrier and doing a topic on hoof care,a equine dentist to show how to do teeth, a vet doing general care, emergency care,ect. Have someone who drives come and teach them how to harness a horse and then take them out for a jog. (that's a big thrill)

I would take small steps toward one goal. You mentioned driving. You need a really well broke driving pony not one that spooks or is scary. You want them to have positive steps and experinces. The goal should be after each child is ready (standards set by you, you can tell who will be ready and who needs more practice.) they get to drive solo.

As for fun class Barrels, poles, versatility, egg and spoon, walk race(great for nervous kids) musical stalls, These are easy fun classes you can do. We also do the traditional classes.

Good Luck

Thanks! some really great suggestions here, esp for meeting activities during cold weather months. I found a really great cloverbud mini book from idaho state university that I may look into. As i said the club is only three years old, and I guess the first two years were kind of disorganized. Im the kind of person who loves bringing order from chaos, I love training and I've found I really enjoy working with the kids.

we are lucky enough to have a really awesome farrier/vet wife husband team in our area. they are younger and on top of all the new technology, so i am planning to have a vet tour day and a farrier day, probably in the spring. None of the kids are ready for driving yet, or thier horses, but I really want to get a solid saftey manual for when it comes.

How do you do some of the games you suggested? musical stalls?

Another thing i want to do is teach them all how to make thier own rope halters for thier horses, as a majority of them are young (yearlings, 2 and 3 yr olds) and the kids just can't get enough control with a nylon halter. Emphasis will be put on using the tools correctly, and proper training. So safety and getting control of thier horses feet will be the first steps, regardless of what level they are now.

what about random avhievement awards? you mentioned the hippology achievement, i think thats great. We could do the same thing for grooming tools, farrier, feeds, the list goes on and on.

sure hope I can keep my momentum going lol
default_smile.png

I was a 4 H leader here for several years. We broke up the class by age so that the younger kids could have some beginning confidence building projects. Just learning how to lead a horse and basics like grooming were a big hit for these little ones. They especially LOVED braiding the horses mane and tails. I was always impressed at their patience!

The older kids wanted more involved projects, so having the groups split up helped keep them both interested.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, as I am not a leader, but we do have 4-H groups come visit our farm. Usually they know something about horses but don't have their own minis. We have a small 4-H Club visiting this weekend and here is what we have planned.

We introduce the minis, tie them up (the minis not the kids!) and let them groom them a bit. We only have 8 minis so we tend to use them all - the show horses and the broodmares. This time will be a bit different because we just weaned our foal and he needs to stay away from Mom. This will be a great time to explain all that.

We set up a halter obstacle course and demonstrate how it is done (usually with the stallion, who then goes back in his turnout). Then the kids get to select a mini and take it through the course. The course has a teeter totter bridge, a waterfall obstacle, poles to walk (or trot) over, a back through and other common obstacles.

After that, we demonstrate jumping, showing the difference between hunter and jumper. We can even have a competition, but the kids only get to watch this part. Then we hook one or more of the minis and give cart rides. Helmets are mandatory for this part. We will demonstrate how to negotiate a cones course, and can show the difference between various types of carts and driving. The idea is to have fun and learn something.

When we have done this before, getting to select a mini and lead it through the obstacle course was a big hit.

HI Fellow 4H'ers

I'm a leader now for 13 years and a past member for many years. Here in NH we have the Colorado book that we use for the children to read/learn from.

Our club has grown over the last few years and we have a few Sr's and Jr's and 3 new members this year.

We do a buzzer board like learning after the business meeting. We have the kids set goals for what they want to learn in a year and find that some of the members can help others reach their goal. Our 4H office has some large learning materials to use. We also have Quiz Bowl/Judging and Hippology meetings that are for all clubs.

Our club will also get together and go for a trail ride/walk.

I love 4H!!!!

Latest posts

Back