MIni horse and his boy in the news

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlh

Reaction score
news story

hA 10-year-old Chandler boy who offered to donate his miniature horse for a charity auction will get to keep his pet, thanks to two generous bidders.

Last week Andrew Jentlie, who has diabetes, made one of the toughest choices in his life. He offered to give up Zig-Zag, his miniature horse for the past four years, to be auctioned in a benefit for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

On Saturday Andrew's parents, Paul and Denice Jentlie, brought the animal to the foundation's fund-raiser in Phoenix. Nearly 900 people attended the black tie affair.

Two Valley families pooled resources to purchase Zig-Zag with a winning bid of $6,000. But they did so on one condition - they wanted Andrew and the horse to stay together.

"I was stunned," said Denice Jentlie.

Andrew jumped up when he learned what the families wanted to do with Zig-Zag. Denice Jentlie said he then turned to her with a happy look on his face and said, "We're stuck together like glue forever."

Denice Jentlie thanked Laurie and Bud Florkiewicz and Lou and Pat Adimare, the couples that offered the winning bid, for their contribution to the foundation and her family.

Organizers said the silent auction, which featured about 150 items, helped raise more than $2 million for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

The Jentlies said Zig-Zag, a trained show horse, is back home on their property in southeast Chandler. They call their home "Mini Distractions" because they say Zig-Zag and their five other miniature horses help distract them from the pressures of everyday life.

Now that Zig-Zag and Andrew will remain together, Andrew wants to keep helping those with diabetes. So the Jentlies have decided he will become a therapy-horse - much like dogs who visit hospitals.

Miniature horses are under 38 inches tall, or about the size of a large dog.

"Zig-Zag behaves phenomenally around people," she said.

:aktion033: Great story.... thanks for posting..

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Wow, that is such a heart warming story. It is nice to see children giving back.

And the generosity of the two couples. You are right Kleenex are needed.
default_crybaby.gif
:

i know Denice, they are great people! Andrew was just diagnosed last spring and they have thrown themselves heart and soul into the research foundation and fundraising for it. we sat and bawled like babies when we heard the bidders had given ZigZag back to Andrew... kinda gives you a little hope for us humans after all huh?

Yes, this was a good story- I saw it on the news website just yesterday. It had a picture too.

That's beautiful.........
default_wub.png
: A good one for either of the registry magazines to publish too.

MA

Yep, that would our own wonderful Denice Jentlie, very involved member with her Minis and her son Andrew, who has had a tough time this last year. Their family has been VERY involved in raising money and doing things to earn money or have money donated to the Juvenile Diabetes Research fund.

Zig is a great horse too and they are a great family. Did you get both stories? After the folks bid on the horse, they donated the horse back to Andrew so as not to take away his pet!! They are superstars here now and we all feel honored to know them!!

Just wanted to add a note that it's things like this that really renews your faith in people!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wub.png
: OH what a beautiful story!! Really touches my heart!!!

Wonderful people!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all your support and to Laurie and Susan especially for telling me that Andrews story was on here too, who'da thought! We sure are proud of our son! Right now he feels like a movie star! I keep telling him to come back down to planet earth, he's so funny!

Hug your kids and your minis!

Denice

www.minidistractions.com

Latest posts

Back