mini has labored breathing and choking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseplay

Reaction score
hi, about 2 hours ago i found my 6 year old mini having trouble breathing. i brought him in and he had several coughing spells. i called the vet and she came out. she tubed him and said he wasn't choking, his temp. was 101.2. he has a bite mark on his neck and she seems to think there is internal swelling causing the troubled breathing. she gave me 2 anti-inflametories (spelling?)and antibiotics. she said if he gets worse she would put a trac. in. :no:

i just don't feel like she is right.

what do you think??? i am going crazy here!!! HELP!
default_sad.png

Is it just labored breathing or does he have fluid coming out his nose? If you feel the vet isnt right try another vet.

no, nothing coming out his nose and there is no other vet. she is it!

Any horse I have seen or heard of with choke has fluid coming out the nose since choke is from something stuck in the esophagus. If vet was able to tube I dont think it can be choke. Did vet tell you what he/she thought it was?

I also would agree with the vet if the swelling is blocking the airway then the breathing would be labored and the temp does indicate infection of some sort. Im sure someone who knows much more than I do will answer you soon

no, i don't think it is choke, she could tube him. it just seems she took a guess. maybe i am just nervous, i keep expecting to find him dead every time i run to check on him.

before she left she was watching him choking and closed her eyes and shook her head and said "that's really hard to watch". huh, ya think?

Could it be an allergic reaction?

The only time I've had this problem was when my senior mare was choking. She had a very low (nearly to the stomach) blockage and it caused her to choke and wheeze, this went on for several hours before we could get it dislodged.

Now what happened when we got her to the clinic was that they were able to pass a tube but she still choked for some time due to the inflammation of her esophagus, her breathing was labored.

I would be concerned if there is no improvement. I know indeed how hard it is to watch, it is gruelling and I can't imagine how it would be to be that horse...

My best wishes to you both.

Liz M.

A friend of mine had thiat happen just last weekend with her big horse and he had pneumonia
default_sad.png
I hope he is doing better this morning.

It could be pneumonia, with the bite mark being coincidence.

However, what does the bite mark look like--can you see/feel swelling around the bite? Is the bite located near the underside of the neck? Right on the trachea? If the bite does appear to be causing this problem my concern would be that the bite also crushed the trachea.

How is your horse this morning? Better I hope, at least a slight bit better.

Latest posts

Back