Mini Cart Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
The kids and I took two of our driving horses and a friend took her horse and cart too, and the three carts did part of the Fl. Greenway Land Bridge over I-75. We had a wonderful time, as my son drives as well as I. However, we had two pain in the neck incidents that I don't want to repeat and I want to do this again... frequently if possible.

One cart we used had big fat tires that sand spurs caused to loose air, so the horse was pretty much pulling it on the rims... for the last two miles... He's a big strong Fresian looking mini, so he did well, but... I'm sure it was much more work for him. The other cart, the tread just fell off the tires... which in addition to being embarrassing was not convient too. We towed the second cart with the first, and ponied the mini who had been driving. Our little Fresian guy ended up the last mile pulling two carts, with the horse being ponied. Our friend loaded up the kids on her cart, and one child walked. (she's a jogger, so she insisted and enjoyed it).

So, I'm pretty discusted with our carts, one Frontier style and the other a well known $525.00 wooden cart, with tool box. I'm not real excited about buying new tires all around either.

So I found a gorgeous little mni cart, very pricey... I think the type of wheel is better too, however, I notice the size of the axel is much thinner then the other carts. Would the size of the axel affect the performance of the cart?

Next summer the kids and I are going to do some overnight cart trips and I want to get the best before we plan this trip. We did about 12 miles... and were out most of the day.

TIA

Lynn W

We got new tires at our local bike shop, big thorn proof ones. Might be your best bet to invest in some really good tires. Susan

One cart we used had big fat tires that sand spurs caused to loose air, so the horse was pretty much pulling it on the rims... for the last two miles... He's a big strong Fresian looking mini, so he did well, but... I'm sure it was much more work for him. The other cart, the tread just fell off the tires... which in addition to being embarrassing was not convient too. We towed the second cart with the first, and ponied the mini who had been driving. Our little Fresian guy ended up the last mile pulling two carts, with the horse being ponied. Our friend loaded up the kids on her cart, and one child walked. (she's a jogger, so she insisted and enjoyed it).

So, I'm pretty discusted with our carts, one Frontier style and the other a well known $525.00 wooden cart, with tool box. I'm not real excited about buying new tires all around either.
My guess is that it is't the model of cart that is the problem but the tires which are pretty much standard on most carts. I never leave my property but still have the same problem with flats because of burrs. So, I have removed the innertubes and replaced them with the solid rubber ones. No flats any more. Just squeeky wheels. I should have but in baby powder in them before I sealed them up. Oh well, still no flats anymore.

So I found a gorgeous little mni cart, very pricey... I think the type of wheel is better too, however, I notice the size of the axel is much thinner then the other carts. Would the size of the axel affect the performance of the cart?

Lynn W
Okay, now I'm curious what the "gorgeous little mini cart, very pricey" is.
default_smile.png
PM me if you'd like!

I agree with Neil that it likely isn't the cart that's the issue, only the wheels. The wider-axle/hub Sun Metal wheels that come on most mini carts are better because they help prevent the wheel from "taco-ing" under lateral stress like turning in deep footing but thinner isn't necessarily worse depending on their construction. That's why I'd like to see the new cart you're considering. I've got one mini cart with true racing bike wheels on it and I wouldn't trust them at all for high speed in deep footing. I think they'd fold in a moment.

The best thing for trail driving if money were not an issue is to buy steel or wood wheels. They'll never go flat on you, never fold under reasonable pressure, and hold up forever if cared for. However if that is not an option I would definitely take your tires to the local bike shop and have No-Flats inserts put in and the treads properly seated so they don't come off again. Your ride won't be as cushy as with the pneumatics but you won't break down either! Or you can keep the pneumatics but add that green slime stuff that prevents punctures. Be aware on the No-Flats that regular bike sizes apparently don't usually fit mini cart wheels. Buy them from American Cart and Harness or another vendor then have the bike shop install them.

Good luck!

Leia

default_saludando.gif
Hi,

Please I'd like to know what trail cart you are looking at also. I want to get a cart for my mini in the spring. We will mostly be doing trails/gravel roads and I will look into possible arena events. I have been searching the net like crazy and trying to read through all the cart questions that come up here. I hated pneumatic tires on my standardbreds cart, we really twisted a wheel on a trail drive, had to walk home, I then bought a homemade cart with motorcycle tires, it held up better but it didn't have springs. So I got a EE all oak , it just seemed heavy, So please share, I want a good safe and comfortable for the horse and I, I have been looking at torsion axles, eliptical springs, wooden wheels etc. until my head spins. I have emailed a couple companies (eazy ryder, are they still active no response) and wondered if I should just get a mini meadowbrook, but I was worried it might be too heavy. I would like to spend around 1000, but realize I may have to go a bit higher,

I did see a mini crown in a close state, but it said for mini's only up to 36" and I'm fairly sure mine's 38" and 350lbs. (according to a horse tape)

I am very impressed that you all went for a 12 mile drive, that would be probably the longest I would go on after she is conditioned, but there are some nice 12 mile trail loops here in southern Maine.

I know Hobbyhorse told me that some mini's were doing 13K marathons I just went and looked at a conversion table to see that that was 8 1/2 miles so I am impressed! I hadn't really thought that these mini's had that kind of stamina(sorry I don't mean that to be in any way rude or condescending, I really hadn't thought I could drive one more than a couple miles, I really am new to the mini world) :DOH!

I think the hardest thing about this cart search is having to buy a cart I've never seen or tried and being stuck with it.

Thanks,

Amy

Amy, keep in mind that a 13km CDE marathon is at a continuous trot almost all the time. We go maybe 5 or 6 kilometers in Section A which is "any pace" but usually done at a trot, then we walk the 1km Section D, then Section E is at a solid trot with no breaks of pace allowed except to run like heck in the hazards and then back to a trot. There's a certain pace you have to meet so you aren't out more than about an hour to do all that. A drive where your horse can go at whatever pace is comfortable for them they could go a heck of a lot longer! We take the minis out all day just like their larger counterparts and half the time they are still fresh when the big horses are ready to drop and go home.

Go to the links page of www.cde4vse.com and look at the vehicle listings. Any of those carts are suitable for trail driving and I'd be happy to help you via PM or email if you want more feedback from someone who's ridden in most of them at this point. I have a Bellcrown Minicrown and believe I have seen them listed as approved for up to 38"; I know Dr. Pam on here uses hers with her pony. Yes, Eazy Ryder is still active as far as I'm aware.

Leia

I use my Country Road cart on trails.. use the wooden wheels though. Have the other type but do not have "no flat" in them yet.

( Also Have a make shift spares kit for the cart and a wee medical kit for people and horse.)

I needed a tough cart but wanted an all rund type and went with a Lignite care with no mo flat tires, (they also come with CDE wheels and tires)

I hefty and this cart takes it well..we drive trails here in Michigan and love it..I didn't get the spares box, wish I did ..I think it was extra $85 maybe?

They are made to order in Wisc. and shipped VERY reasonably and on time..here's a link. Jim is very friendly and will be glad to discuss anything you need to know. Just another option for you.

http://www.dotnet.com/~lignite/

I purchased the nomoreflat inserts from walmart on line. I think they were around 20.00 a piece. Installed them myself they work great and the ride is slightly better than the aired tires.

Whitney --- do you have a link to those nomoreflat inserts? I can't find them on the Walmart site.

I purchased the nomoreflat inserts from walmart on line.
Thanks

JJay

For longer trips or parades a can of fix a flat is a must, unless you have solid tires. Yes it's messy, etc. etc. but if you need it you'll be really glad you packed it.

Latest posts

Back