Mini + Big Horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if I should reply or not...But I think I will...

My big mare Fiona is not one for confrontation...If she doesn't like another horse she'll just walk away from it. She is not playful and she is not agressive. She will put her ears back at bigger horses(ones that are bigger then her) but that's about it. And with ponies and babies she looks at them as if they were her own.

The other night my farrier came out to trim Lucy's feet and when I took Lucy away Fiona started screaming for her and paced the whole of her paddock. Then Fiona needed to get looked at for something minor(I still wanted it checked though) and Lucy started screaming for Fiona to come back.

And yesterday I let Lucy out into Fiona's area and I rode Fiona bareback around the paddock. Then I put Lucy back into her own area and I sat with her. Then Fiona came over, touched noses with Lucy and started grooming Lucy as gentle as can be.

She gaurds Lucy at all times. She's always standing next to Lucy wether Lucy is in her area or out.

Dorrie- Lucy is not a dominant mini and only was to a VERY shy and timid mini mare who was INTENTIONALLY abused(I can only imagine what was done to that poor little mini Suzy...Poor girl is so terrified of humans) but Lucy never did anything to her. And my mare has never been in a dominant situation. She had a "boyfriend" before I got her.

Fiona's "true colors" came out after her 2nd week of living at the barn I had her boarded at and maybe in another week Lucy will show hers and we'll see what she's really like.

But when they are out I am ALWAYS around them and watching...I'll just feel around this situation. And any sign of trouble and they will be seperated and Lucy will go out into the bigger area only when Fiona is stalled.

Thank you for all your opinions everyone. I can see where you are all coming from.

Accidents will happen with big or small horses. I do not recommend minis with big horses if anyone asks. You cannot just put any mini in with a big horse and expect it to work. I have a mini gelding who lived with a big gelding for 3 years, no problems. That same mini I would not put in with my other big gelding as I know he would get hurt. Basically if you are going to do it make sure the personalities work together, do not feed grain while they are together, spread hay in multiple piles, make sure there is room for the mini to get away. All the basic safety stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind are dogs. My vet says she constantly sees dogs who have been stepped on or kicked by horses. She highly encourages dogs to be kept away from all horses big or small. Just last spring my laid back lab snuck into a mini paddock. Minding his own business. The mini mare in the paddock slowly wandered up to him as if nothing was wrong and then bit him hard on the back of the neck. The skin as not broken on the outside but internally there was damage and swelling for some time. The poor dog will not go near a horse big or small now which is the good side of the story.

^^At meal time they are always in their own area.

Lucy is gated in at night with an area for her to walk in and her huge stall(10X12...so spoiled hehe) and Fiona gets the run of the rest of the paddock and her own 10X12 stall.

The only time they had hay together was the first time I had them out but I was right next to them the whole time there was food. Fiona would walk by, take a bite and keep on walking. Lucy got the majority of the small flake.

On the topic of puppies...We have 2 Golden Retriever 1 year olds...And man do they have spunk!! We have an invisible fence for them and it stops a foot away from the paddock fencing. Fiona has been good about tolerating them when they aren't listening(the male thinks it's fun to try and grap her tail) but for the most part when we scold them they quiet down and behave. And Lucy has already "told" them she doesn't enjoy them jumping around her...She nipped at our female pup and it only took the one time for them both to realize not to get close.

The way I look at it they are your horses. It's how you want to do it. Yes I do put minis, ponies, and big horses together.

You may ask, but in the end you do what you want, as least thats what I usually do
biggrin.gif
I wouldnt do it period, someone I know did all was great and dandy the big quarter horse loved the mini shes about 37 inches tall. She ended up with no eye. He still loves her but she is blind.

Latest posts

Back