Mineral oil ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedWagon

Reaction score
I need to know the amount of mineral oil to give a mare. She has been acting a little uncomfortable like she needs to go. We have her stalled to watch her.

Maybe you could give your vet a quick call with your question. Mine is always helpful with advice over the phone and wants me to keep her posted on the horse's progress in case she needs to come out. Peace of mind with a phone call will help. Good luck with your mare
default_smile.png

Give her about 1/2 cup oil mixed with 2 cups water and some electrolites if you have them. I use a large (very large) syring without the needle and put it in their mouth. Hold them carefully, but firmly and slowly push the plunger. You do not want it to go into their lungs.

Yes, the way it was explained to me (by a vet) is you want them to kind of lap it up as you squirt it onto their tongue. Sorry, I can't help you with an amount though.

Thanks everyone. Everything seems to be moving smoothly through her.

Well, that is a relief, Julie!

BTW, I ditto Riverdance............We use either a 60cc syringe or a gravy baster.....about three of them, and very gentley dose the horse with the oil. It's a slow and messy process because of the possibility of the oil going down into the lungs!

Latest posts

Back