Military Recruiting in the schools

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that maybe it's ok for them to enter the schools and give thier talks. However I do think that there should be maybe a "cooling off period" afterwards and not encourage kids to sign up on the spot right then and there, that have just got "caught up in the moment." Just like there is a cooling off period to purchase a gun where you have to wait for your license to be approved etc. .

In my case: My son wants to become a Marine biologist, and since 911 he wants a crack at the terrorists as well. They PROMISED him that they would supply him with all the schooling he needs to get several degrees. I simply do not think anyone should make promises that they cannot deliver. However, he has always wanted to serve his country in the first place, and realizes that the sugar coating is not on the cake. But there are so many out there that will just put their names to any paper without forethought.

Marty,

This has turned into a good discussion, hasn't it?

I just read Shari's post and it was a good one. She should be proud of her husband.... and I'm sure she is!

Recruiting at high schools shouldn't be an issue at all. How it's done is the kicker, IMO.

Our foster daughter's husband was recruited right out of high school into the Marines. He was a mouthy know-it-all kid that I wanted to smack a few times.
rolleyes.gif

By the time he was done he had been to several places in the world and served in Iraq where he was wounded. He came home wanting to GO BACK to Iraq but his wounds left him disabled enough that the Marines refused him! He left the marines as a Sargeant.

Larry and I are very proud of Jon, both for his service and for the young man he has become. And I thank the Marine Corps for helping to mold him into what he is today.

As of a few weeks ago he has found an outstanding job/career with a military school for youth and he is LOVING it.

Personally, I think the military is an outstanding option for young men and women. However, it needs to be THEIR choice....no pressure.

MA

One point I would like to make not everybody in the service carries a weapon to the "front lines" for every "leg" on the line there are four people behind them in a service capacity. So if your youngster does decide to enlist it remains to be seen what there actual job duties will be. I might have considered staying in but with so many people shooting at me on my first tour of duty I changed my mind.

I'm not really sure what my thoughts are on this subject. I have three daughters, no sons. It won't effect me personally.
I don't know why that makes you so sure??? Don't you KNOW that the Military accepts women??

There are women in many fields, "out there" giving their time and lives to protect us every day...it's not that much a "Man's World" any more.

Sorry, but I feel I must make this point.
yes.gif
Especially after having spent 27 years in the Military myself; and putting up with soooo much male egotisim every day...in that "Man's world".
rolleyes.gif

NOPE...we don't ALL work in an office.

Sue_C. said:
I'm not really sure what my thoughts are on this subject. I have three daughters, no sons. It won't effect me personally.
I don't know why that makes you so sure??? Don't you KNOW that the Military accepts women??

There are women in many fields, "out there" giving their time and lives to protect us every day...it's not that much a "Man's World" any more.

Sorry, but I feel I must make this point.
yes.gif
Especially after having spent 27 years in the Military myself; and putting up with soooo much male egotisim every day...in that "Man's world".
rolleyes.gif

NOPE...we don't ALL work in an office.

478860[/snapback]

Thank you for your long service to the country. I appreciate anyone who dedicates that long protecting our country.

Yes, I know perfectly well that they accept women. But the recruiting (at least in our area) is geared pretty much exclusively at boys. One of my closest friends went into the Army right out of high school. If a girl/woman wants to serve the country in the military that is their choice, just as it is for a young man.

Each person joins for his/her own reasons at the time, based on the knowledge they have. If one of my children does end up wanting to join, so be it, they will be joining based on the knowledge we have given them. I will support them, as I will support them with any choices they make in life.

Martys statement of 'promising them the moon and stars' says it all. I too come from a very long line of military and have THE utmost of respect. However, recruiters can all but lie to get these KIDS to sign up. The KIDS dont have a real clue what this entails. At 17 they are KIDS and cannot sign a binding contract ( guess in most states) but they can sign up to risk their life? Unbelievable!

If the KID is under 18 then NO, recruiters should not be allowed to harrass them (and they do harrass them). Hadning out brochures is fine, so is answering questions, but no follow up at all. After 18 then fine, they are finally an adult.

Never ceases to amaze me that our government won't allow a beer in the hands of a 17 or 18 year old kid but have no problem putting a gun in their hands to kill another person
sad.gif
Kids are kids, give them a chance to grow up before asking them to sacrifice their life.
sad.gif

I think for a recruiter to able to enlist a kid without their parents consent is outrageous!

If any of my kids made this decision without discussing it extensively with me and my hubby first I would be livid. They are NOT independant when they are living in my house and I am paying their bills.

I am 33 and married with 3 kids and I would still discuss something like this with my parents.

It is a big deal enlisting and it affects more than just the person who enlists.

It bothers me that I think this would happen only in areas where it can! I have never seen or heard of recruiters at our schools, they certainly don't come very often. I wonder if it is because it is a predominantly white, affluent town?
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

I think for many kids this is a great opportunity for them and something they can feel proud of but they should be told the truth and given time to think it through and discuss it with their families.

Back when I was in High School, the military came and recruited us just as y’all have discussed. I wasn’t one that needed recruiting. My family has a tradition to uphold and I was raised to do so. I was destined for the military. I was also broken hearted when I was told I could not join because I have a metal elbow.

What I found out next is what none of you have mentioned yet. As an athlete, NCAA schools recruited me 10 times harder than the military. Those guys not only promise you the world, but they also make those fun little recruiting trips feel like a high school boy’s dreams are all coming true. At least the military can deliver some of what they promise.

It’s tough for the military to compete with that. While no parent wants to see their child put in harms way or taken advantage of, we must also allow our military some room to work as well. After all, if it weren’t for them, we might not be here to have children.

I don't know what the right balance is, but I am sorry that it causes people pain because it hasn't yet been found.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Wow I had no idea they are that into pressure.....my friend's 19 year old decided to enlist while we were visiting and I can tell you it took a total of 4 days to get all the papers in order....it sure wasn't a sign this now you are in deal
wink.gif
there were birth certificates needed and recent health exam papers and school records ...in her case yes there was one extra day because her mom was born in Germany and is naturalized so extra papers and signatures for that....and she is 19...this was in July they figure she will ship off to boot camp around the first of the year.......I know others who also enlisted right out of high school and they all also went through a several day proccess....find it odd that other areas can just sign a oiece of paper and be IN....of course that would explain how we end up training terrorists who later attack us
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back