micro chipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnalee

Reaction score
I was just wondering if horse folk are using the micro chip id for their horses as are used for dogs? it seems it would be a good idea, not so much for runaways, although that does happen on occasion, but I am thinking as a tool in case of theft, or even in sales where a horse's background might not be disclosed such as horse auctions.

And if micro chips are used are they the same as the ones used for dogs? What info would be on them?

Many folks do micro chip theirs horses. Some states even require it. There are diagrams online that show you where on the body it should go, however, if you are not extremely comfortable with giving shots, have your vet do it. The needle is much larger than you are probably used to. And horse hide is tougher than dog. Last I checked, Avid was recognized in Europe also, so those buyers wouldn't have to re-chip.

I believe AMHR notes the chip number in the system if you supply the information.

Louisiana requires either a chip, a tattoo or a brand as an identifying mark in order to have a coggins test done. We normally chip all of ours, but I have one purchased mare who was branded that we didn't need to chip. Her brand is recorded on her coggins paper work.

During the hurricanes when horses and all livestock that were left in areas we didn't expect to flood from storm surges were scattered every where, it was a invaluable tool for recovering the horses. I wish it would have been the same with the cattle and pigs that ended up in my pasture! I spoke to a vet involved in recovery shortly after Hurricane Rita and they were still recovering cattle months later. Luckily the cows in my field didn't take that long to find their owners...but then honestly I'm not even sure if they were the guy's cattle...I just was happy to have them gone and assumed that they were his since they hadn't traveled too far.

Thanks for the great info. What info is on the micro chip? Is it ID only or is health info as shots, coggins, etc included? Is there a website you can recommend where I can learn more about it?

It only contains a serial number. I suggest going to the Avid sight and reading about it. There are other brands, but they come and go and not all vets have scanners to read the one-offs. Avid is considered "universal" and can be read by many readers. There may be other brands now that are universal as well, I don't know.

I would like to add that Avid is not very well known in Europe. There are some scanners reading them here availible but these aren't common.

At least in Germany we are using a sort of microchip called "ISO-type".

AVID is a 125khz chip, the international standard is 132khz. But there aren't many readers of 132khz chips in the US.... companion animals and horses have been done with 125khz for decades. Both of my horses are chipped, my QH because he came from LA where its a requirement, my pony because I had him done while I was at the vet school.

There are lots of reasons for 125.... one of which is 132 can be reprogrammed, 125 can't. So it is theoretically possible to steal a horse with a 132khz chip, reprogram it, and say its yours. Can't do that with a 125.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just trying to make sense but since you can't reprogram the 125 chip then you would probably not want to microchip any horse that you were planning to sell in the future? Or did I misunderstand?

(null)

The technology of the 125 prohibits reprogramming. Its ROM. To change ownership you just update the database (you pay a fee to keep your information in a privately run database.... HomeAgain, AVID HorseTracker, etc). 132 was designed for the idea of potentially needing to change the ID number of a chip. Great for cattle, bad for proving ownership.

The biggest issue to me is the lack of scanners. If my horses are found, and someone gets the idea that they MIGHT have a chip, they'll scan the horse with whatever scanner they have available. 99% of the scanners owned by vets are 125khz scanners, which can't see the 132khz chips. They might scan and say there is no chip, when in fact there IS one, they just can't read/see it.

Some of the newer readers from AVID, the expensive ones, can DETECT the 132, but can't read them. It'll say "Chip found", which at least tells you to find another scanner and look again.

AVID's website: http://www.microchipidequine.com/

The technology of the 125 prohibits reprogramming. Its ROM. To change ownership you just update the database (you pay a fee to keep your information in a privately run database.... HomeAgain, AVID HorseTracker, etc). 132 was designed for the idea of potentially needing to change the ID number of a chip. Great for cattle, bad for proving ownership.

The biggest issue to me is the lack of scanners. If my horses are found, and someone gets the idea that they MIGHT have a chip, they'll scan the horse with whatever scanner they have available. 99% of the scanners owned by vets are 125khz scanners, which can't see the 132khz chips. They might scan and say there is no chip, when in fact there IS one, they just can't read/see it.

Some of the newer readers from AVID, the expensive ones, can DETECT the 132, but can't read them. It'll say "Chip found", which at least tells you to find another scanner and look again.

AVID's website: http://www.microchipidequine.com/
I have actually never heard that the 132 chips can be reprogrammed.

But it would be same in vice versa if here a horse with a 125 chip would be found: Most just wouldn't detect it.

Yes, but how many people export horses to Europe? If they do, I'm sure they'll re-chip with the standard there. But here, in the US, 132 is only forced on us by a few breed registries, everyone else uses 125.

The 2 rescue mini's I recently adopted outside Boston are micro chipped. The website is: www.homeagain.com There chips are in the right side of there neck I believe and there information can be up-dated through the companies website.

Back