Michelle Duggar is hvaing 19th child...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's extremely selfish. Our planets resources are stretched to their limits as it is and we as a species are vastly overpopulating. If each of those kids had two kids...etc...well you get the picture. Having two kids of my own I think two's a nice number
default_biggrin.png
It's about time people started thinking about what we've leaving future generations - JMHO
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to have a feeling that shes gonna try to go for 20. Her youngest is only 8 month's. they people are wacked, but I prefer them to Jon and Kate.

Too bad she didn't start adopting instead.......
default_unsure.png

It is my understanding that their religion prohibits the use of birth control. That's why she keeps popping them out.

I don't feel the planet is under any threat by the Duggars population explosion.

I see a family tribe that is very well cared for under a gorgeous roof, clothed, fed, and much loved which is more than I can say for a lot of parents of one, that could care less about their child.

These Duggar kids are learning good values, responsiblity, well educated, and I feel they will have much to contribute to this big ole world of ours someday. They are also not living off our goverment and expecting a hand out for anything.

Its not like Michelle Duggar is Octo-Mom.

To the Duggars I say live and let live, leave them alone, they aren't hurting anyone and seem to be wonderful people who bring a smile to me.
default_biggrin.png

Thank god for reality shows I guess.... seems to be the new way for all these huge families to support themselves

Oh shoot Leese.........I didn't think of that, but I think they were already doing fine and dandy financially before the show
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

Dont get me wrong I have a kid in college I know how expensive one is so I understand why these couples with such a huge amount of kids want to do these shows to make the money but I still think while this is a more grounded family.. there is something wrong to me about making the choice for your children to grow up on TV in front of the whole country

Ditto to Marty. At least they're not on government aide!

My FIL is 2nd of 8... If his mom wouldn't have been 40 when the 8th was born and had to have c-sections with every one of them, she would've kept going. We are working on our 3rd, supporting ourselves just fine and have always discussed having as many children as God grants us.

You would think they would eventually tell them she cant have anymore as her body can no longer support the weight or hold shut to keep a child in there. Suprised she has been able to go so long.

If you watched the old specials that had the duggers on them they were not nearly as financially set as they are now. Just like all the other shows (jon & kate, little people) they started out really struggling until the tv shows started
default_smile.png
Ive always said I have nothing against people making money but I dont agree making money off your kids. I do feel those shows should come under the same labor laws that child actors have to go by.

I do think the duggers have done a great job raising their kids but wonder if the reality show curse will hit. They all seem to get divorced after a few years of doing reality tv. Money and fame change people

Like you Ashley I am shocked that her body can carry another child. I know growing up my sister in law came from a family of 16. They also didnt believe in birth control. The last two were retarded and then she lost several babies before she had to have a hysterectomy due to another miscarriage. The doctor said her body was just worn out having so many babies

I am with Marty, the children are well loved and raised and cared for.

Have you heard the saying (and I am agnostic) Judge not lest ye be judged? .................

Michelle was warned by her doctor to quit as her body is wearing down but they will continue as long as babies keep coming. Now that part I have to wonder about, the risk of leaving Jim Bob with all those kids. Of course, they do have older children who do a good job of caring for the younger ones.

This is straight from their website and explains why they have made the decision that they made. As for the show, its only been on since Oct 2008 as a series. They did several one time shows as the number of children grew. I think they show a wonderful sense of family value, yes you can do that with less kids, but think about your own children and if someone said you should have had less, which one would you give up? As for supporting their family from a TV reality show, just think of the people that support their drug and drinking problems the same way, I would rather give my viewing time to this family.

Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar married July 21st, 1984. At that time, they chose to use the birth control pill. They thought, “We don’t want children right now. We can’t afford them. We want children in our timing, when we’re ready.” Four years later they decided to have their first child. Then, Michelle went back on the pill, but she conceived and had a miscarriage. At that point they talked with a Christian medical doctor and read the fine print in the contraceptives package. They found that while taking the pill you can get pregnant and then miscarry. They were grieved! They were Christians! They were pro-life! They realized that their selfish actions had taken the life of their child. They prayed and asked God to forgive them, and to teach them to love children like He loves children. They asked God to bless them with as many children as He saw fit in His timing. Right after that Michelle got pregnant with twins!

Oh I had no idea that this family was the subject of a reality show hahah that explains a lot
default_biggrin.png

I have not watched the show but I did grow up next door to a family who had 13 children and since my sister was 10 years older than I that was where I spent alot of time as a kid. They always welcomed their childrens friends and the family was and is very close. I think people tend to forget that the PILL hasnt been around all that long and that there were often big families 50 years ago and before. It wasnt unusual at all to come from a family with 5, 6 or more siblings. In fact I was the odd one growing up as I only had one sister. Most of my classmates had at least two siblings and many had more. Nothing odd about it.

I had heard about these people in a magazine once, so they have a reality show too? I never watched Jon and Kate either, but heard alot about them. I don't find these shows interesting at all...to each their own I guess. I do like reality shows...Deadliest Catch, Survivorman (wish that was still on), even the show Survivor occasionally.

I looked at these peoples website and they also are selling their own book, etc..

I wonder what will happen when the show is finished and the glitz and glame is gone...hope they are spending their money wisely so they can afford the tribe when it's all over.

To be honest, as long as my tax dollars aren't paying for all those kids, I could really care less. Not my place to judge their actions.

Are they exploiting their children? Perhaps, but wouldn't be the first time it's been done and it won't be the last.

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally keep quiet on these kinds of topics, but wanted to chime in on the side of the Duggers. Yes, the show is probably giving them good money, but before the show series came along, they were okay financially. He is a realtor (or he was) so they had properties that were paid for, and they rented out. They have a property with a cell tower on it (There's nice money!). They went through a financial class and learned to live debt free, only buying what they had cash for. They still shop at Aldi's and still buy clothes and shoes from resale shops. They live within their means and are not on any government subsidies. They actually inspired my husband and me to look into and take our own financial classes. If they can live debt free with 14 kids (at the time) then we should be able to live debt free with zero. (Well, he has child support...so actually not zero.) She homeshcools all of her kids and they have better values and harmony than my family. They do a lot of volunteer work too. They are a good family. Would I put my family on tv? Well, I don't think so. It would support them (Jon & Kate reportedly get $75k an episode) but to me money isn't everything. I wouldn't want cameras in my house, watching my every move. I'm a private person. To each his own. Yes, the Duggar's do have a book. It was created because of all the people asking them the same questions all the time. I really like their show because I like to see the things they do with such a large family. They have a great tater-tot casserole recipe and make their own detergents and soaps. They are very resourceful.
default_smile.png
Just my 2 cents... well, I rambled, so I guess its my 5 cents! :D

They seem like a very loving family from what I've seen on them. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the whole 19 kids thing because I agree about the overpopulation factor, but if the kids are well cared for and they aren't living off the system, then it's really thier business.

I do however feel very badly for the children. With that many kids, how can each of them possibly get the one-on-one time that they need with the parents, without having to pencil it in. Most kids are competitive and feel left out when there's only a couple siblings, just imagine how many you have to compete with with 17 or 18 other siblings. I also fear that the older kids might be having to help take care of the younger ones a little too much. It's not their responsibility to be "parents" yet. I helped raise my brother who was 9 years younger than me (it was just him, me and my mom), and while I loved him, it was hard to have to watch over/change/feed him at times.

I haven't seen the show, but how on earth do these people live a normal life with outtings to the mall, going out to dinner, traveling to amusement parks, and all the other normal family outtings???

I think it's extremely selfish. Our planets resources are stretched to their limits as it is and we as a species are vastly overpopulating. If each of those kids had two kids...etc...well you get the picture. Having two kids of my own I think two's a nice number
default_biggrin.png
It's about time people started thinking about what we've leaving future generations - JMHO
default_rolleyes.gif
I completely agree.

Latest posts

Back