MI family fighting to keep mini on 3+ acres!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many this about this bother me. Not their trying to keep a mini on 3+ acres. But allowing the very young children to walk around this horse, which LOOKS to be a STALLION, barefoot!! Then allowing the young boy to ride him! His legs wrap all the way around his barrel!! Then the when the little boy's riding the poor thing, the younger girl is walking right behind the horse! Do they know that horses kick?? Not to be mean, but these folks need a horse person to step in and instruct them before someone gets hurt badly, and the horse ends up at a kill auction or given away to anybody who will take it.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this on the news tonight. Very ignorant handling of what did look to be a stallion. What also bothered me was that he looked to be the only livestock on the premises or surrounding area. A lonely life for a herd animal even if he does get lots of attention from the kids.

I think the local rules are a bit strict, I hope they get them ammended, that is a lot of land to not be able to have livestock on it, even in limited numbers. The horse appears to be very gentle - surely he weighs more than 100 lbs?

The issue of the amount of acreage crossed my mind when I was reading another thread about how many horses some of you have on small acreage. I hope for the kids sake they can keep their horse.

The issue of the amount of acreage crossed my mind when I was reading another thread about how many horses some of you have on small acreage. I hope for the kids sake they can keep their horse.
I definitely think this is a case where so much could be done to EDUCATE everyone involved. There is so much information missing. The local ordinance was obviously meant for biggie horses. Although to me, the horse, at 31" has got to be well more than 100lbs. Both of my yearlings are barely 30" and weigh 164 and 182 respectively.

I hope that someone with some common sense can help them keep their horse AND I hope someone with some horse knowledge steps in to offer help on what this family can do to take the best care possible of this animal. The horse does appear to be in ok condition at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine how fat everyones "mini stocks" would be if you had to have them on 5 acres per 1 "stock" and 1 acre per animal afterwards. Which is what my zoning is here.

Where is this township from?

It's in Saginaw County. Merrill is on 46, Mindy Lee

I found out in King George/Essex and eastern Caroline counties in VA, that you have to have 5 1/2 acres before you can put one horse on it and the barn/run in shed has to be 300' away from your neighbors front door.
default_unsure.png

There are some other "rules" that I find totally annoying. One reason it is taking so long for us to find just the right place.

Most counties have zoning laws regarding animals and numbers allowed per acre. BUT it is imperative that animal owners check rules thoroughly as some areas consider "livestock" as other than equine. Some have similar properties zoned differently, some allow a different number dependent on size, licensure of the property, etc.

EXAMPLE....I'm in VA. My county has "similar" zoning with very different numbers. Overall, 5 ac for first 3 equine (NO difference in size, although goats could be 5X on same ac), then 1 ac per additional. But, over 10 acres and NO LIMIT on numbers.
default_laugh.png
So, for 10 acres, 8 head.....for 10.1 acre, 100!!!!!

And, if you have a license for a stable, you don't even have the limits on the first 5 acres!
default_new_shocked.gif
Hello!!???

There are loopholes. In some areas it is simply that a mini is a "pet" not an "equine" based solely on the size and use factors.

My sister and brother in law live in this area. Very strange zoning laws. Mostly farm land.

Im so glad we dont have zoning on ours. We have 2.5 acres and thats plenty for 14 horses easy.

I am sure that this horse is a good horse around the kids, but why in gods earth would they let that boy ride him? Hes' only 31" and 100 lbs...that kid has to be at least 40 lbs, if not more. and what parent lets their kids run around barefoot, not only around the horse, but in a field where the horse lives?? My mom would have slapped me silly!

apparently he is going to show him in 4-H?? Sorry, but doesn't really say alot for the miniature horse "breed". I feel bad for the family because I am sure they love him, but rules are rules. I can't have minis on my land either becuase we only have 4 acres, although that would be plenty for these little guys. If they start giving in to one person, they will have to give in to all persons, and who knows what kind of care that will lead too.

Further more their land didn't look to have any shelter on it at all, maybe that was just the angle but I didn't see any.

Just MY opinion:)

For us we had to get a livestock permit for our big horses. But livestock here is considered by pounds (1200lbs is 1 livestock) We were told the miniature horse is not considered livestock but if someone got really crabby and faught it we basically could say it was a 4 or 5 minis per livestock and babies don't count.

Okay now for my opinion for what it is worth. I think some of you are being a little harsh. This mini first of all looks to me well over 100lbs. We have several that size and they are 200-250 and are show horses so not over weight. 2nd of all that little boy looked pretty light at maybe 40 lbs. For him to be led around a little bit on that horse was not hurting him at all. He didn't flinch or shrug his back or anything when the boy got on and looked to be enjoying it. Yes he did look to be a stallion, but was extremely gentle. But some how I think he was a gelding or soon to be because 4-H does not allow kids to show a stallion.

As for safety concerns, yes they should not have let their kids run around barefoot around the horses and the little girl should not have been following behind the horse.

I have 2 small children that are around our horses daily and show and their safety is my #1 concern.

Missy- I think you should watch the clip again. I did see shelter behind them when they were interviewing them.

Just my opinion. Looks like they took good care of the horse and really enjoyed him. Hope they can keep him.

I've been contact with the owner and she said it was a spur of the moment interview - the TV station just showed up. Still doesn't allow for everything going on there, but I did communicate with her about the kids being barefoot and around the butt end. I also told her she could contact me for information on minis. Hope she takes me up on it!

i think you guys are being wayy to harsh. he didnt seem to be in any pain at all when they stuck the kid on him and i go around my minis barefoot all the time because i hate wearing shoes. yes he looks like a stud but so what? he's quiet and theres no mares around so he probably doesnt even know he is a stud. i've been told by alot of you on here to keep stallions alone and now that one is being kept alone you guys freak! pick a side, lol! at least he's not starving or being abused and has a family that loves him to death and is willing to fight for him.

MRM - IMO running around a barnyard barefoot is asking for a lot of problems - getting stepped on with zero protection is just one of them. Introducing horse manure into a cut or scrape, no matter how tiny, is another. If you think wearing shoes is a pain, trying wearing a cast because a foot bone was broken by being stepped on. Nobody, and I mean Nobody, goes barefoot or even wears sandles around my barn. Tennis shoes or boots at minimum.

This is because if someone DOES get hurt or get an infection, even if they are doing something dumb, I could be LIABLE!!

As I stated, under NO circumstances would I let a 3 & 4 YO around a stallion of any age. Yes he is being kept by himself, but stallions can act stupid for absolutely no reason, and head butt, toss their head around, strike, kick, rear, buck, and bite without provocation. To allow that little girl to walk directly behind the horse is also stupid. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I'd rather sound harsh then have to be sad because a little girl got kicked in the head or the guts because she was walking where she shouldn't be with 2 adults within arm's length! They can't beat the speed of a horse kick. Can you imagine the press frenzy if that little girl got kicked on TV?? First they'd lose their children, then probably go to jail and lose everything.

Think it doesn't happen??? A neighbor boy, who I had just TOLD TO GET OUT OF THE PASTURE, bent down behind one of my OLD BROODMARES to pick a stick up. She caught a glimpse of him, kicked and caught him in the face! Luckily no permanent damage, but some awful pain.

A lady at the show that I apprenticed a few weeks ago was kicked in the face while clipping a leg.

A friend of mine was knocked by a hock when trying to pick up the foot to clean it. She raised top quality Appaloosas for 30 years.

The horse does seem very docile and the little boy obviously loves him.

I was a 4 H horse club leader forever but 4 year olds were not allowed to join at that time. Maybe the age limit changed. 4H also did not allow stallions but maybe that changed too over time. Glad Ruffian has offered assistance and hopefully can mentor them would be great. Maybe they will geld that horse for the boy too.

MRM - IMO running around a barnyard barefoot is asking for a lot of problems - getting stepped on with zero protection is just one of them. Introducing horse manure into a cut or scrape, no matter how tiny, is another. If you think wearing shoes is a pain, trying wearing a cast because a foot bone was broken by being stepped on. Nobody, and I mean Nobody, goes barefoot or even wears sandles around my barn. Tennis shoes or boots at minimum.

This is because if someone DOES get hurt or get an infection, even if they are doing something dumb, I could be LIABLE!!

As I stated, under NO circumstances would I let a 3 & 4 YO around a stallion of any age. Yes he is being kept by himself, but stallions can act stupid for absolutely no reason, and head butt, toss their head around, strike, kick, rear, buck, and bite without provocation. To allow that little girl to walk directly behind the horse is also stupid. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I'd rather sound harsh then have to be sad because a little girl got kicked in the head or the guts because she was walking where she shouldn't be with 2 adults within arm's length! They can't beat the speed of a horse kick. Can you imagine the press frenzy if that little girl got kicked on TV?? First they'd lose their children, then probably go to jail and lose everything.

Think it doesn't happen??? A neighbor boy, who I had just TOLD TO GET OUT OF THE PASTURE, bent down behind one of my OLD BROODMARES to pick a stick up. She caught a glimpse of him, kicked and caught him in the face! Luckily no permanent damage, but some awful pain.

A lady at the show that I apprenticed a few weeks ago was kicked in the face while clipping a leg.

A friend of mine was knocked by a hock when trying to pick up the foot to clean it. She raised top quality Appaloosas for 30 years.
i agree with the girl walking behind the horse. i was kicked by a filly and i still have the bruise and a huge dent in my leg! lol! sorry i didnt mean to get ya all worked up. i do walk around barefoot, but i'm extra careful and its usually only to fill water buckets.

OMG ! ! ! MRM I can't tell you how proud I am of your right now.

Latest posts

Back