Metal buildings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetOpal

Reaction score
Hello all, I am thinking of adding some more stalls and was wanting to just by a 3 sided metal building to kind of have a shedrow type style, does anyone have any cheap ideas of how do it or what to use??

We have a big 3-sided carport that we use as a run in shed. We lined it with wood. It's 18'x21'. Now, I don't recall how much it cost (got it in 2002), but know it was not very expensive (and they installed it for us) and it's huge for a run in.

Carport%20--%2011132005%20--%20033.jpg

Carport%20Lot%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20001.jpg

Before I bought our car port AKA run in shed.... I looked at all types of buildings like that. Hate to say it.. the heavier duty metal car ports are the cheapest way to go.

Unless you have acess to cheap wood and have the time to build. My hubby and I have plans but he just doesn't have the time.

One thing to keep in mind, is metal roof buildings will get condensation in many climes. Using some kind of insulation on the ceiling will keep that from happening.

I am at the point of badly needing a shed for the mini pasture and a new hen house. Because of where I live the anything plastic or canvas is not a good idea.

What I would like is another pretty Heartland shed(s) like I had at the other farm but that is spendy.

For the less money I can get an ugly 12 by 21' metal cart port set up the way I need it. Also would be double the size.

I would just shop around and see who has what prices for what you are interested in. You might come across something for sale.
default_biggrin.png

I do have one of the carports now for my tractor and what not, a 18x41 carpart is $ 1,900 with just the top, so with 2 sides and one back it is around $3,000 just trying to see if I could find something less...

I would shop around for the best prices. Would not believe the difference in pricing for the same item at different dealers.

My 12 by 21' cart port, heavy duty, roof and two sides cost $1750.00. That included them putting it up and 4 big mobile home anchors and a 10 year warrenty.

Used the money from selling my fjord mare so it would of been about 5 months ago.

i just got a 18 x 35 metal building, from www.gaport.com they installed it on site and added extra man doors and roll up doors for me and i thought their prices were very good, with 1 6x6 roll up door and 3 man doors, it was around 4600.00. if you go onto their web site and look at the garages you can pick various sizes and it will give you the exact price on line, no phone calls.

Hope this helps

Well, I designed, and my late husband and I built, a 16' X 36' run-in, some years ago; we used 2" pipe posts, set in cement, for the supports, 2 x 6s for the rafters, , then 2 x 4s for the 'decking' to nail/screw the galv. sheets to for the roof. The walls are of the 'colored' metal panelling, and the inside is lined with wood-full 4x8 sheets of 5/8" plywood, lengthwise(so up to 4' high). This south-facing(means it faces the winter sun, and 'has its back to' the prevailing winter N to NW winds; orientation is an especially important consideration for a run-in shed!)atructure has now been in place for around 18 years!

I know this has no bearing on your question about cost(though of course, any structure would probably be cheaper if you do the labor yourself!
default_wink.png
)-but I would like to STRONGLY suggest two things--if using metal for 'walls', LINE IT WITH STURDY WOOD-at least up to around 3.5-4', because even a mini can kick through a metal wall; I know of one who did, and bled to death before anything could be done. Also-suggest leaving some slight open space at the top of a wall/below the rafters,especially the wall directly opposite the open side, for needed ventilation, and to allow air to flow through. This should help w/ condensation, AND minimize the possibility of loosing the roof in a windstorm-at least, one where the wind blows directly INTO the open side of the shed.( I knew nothing of 'rafter ties' when I designed our shed-after all, I am an 'amateur' designer/ builder!! <grin!>), nor did I know of using roofing SCREWS instead of galv. roofing nails, when we built our shed all those years ago-about 9 years ago, during a FIERCE spring wind storm, with an uncharacteristic wind coming almost straight out of the south,a section of the roof tore off, even taking one entire rafter with it, and landed with a crash behind the shed!! There were horses in it at the time--I was hunkered down in the house, wondering if the very roof over my head was about to fly off, and heard the crash, but didn't have the nerve to even look out, so found the damage that afternoon when I went out to do the evening chores! I finally got it repaired(did it all myself-kept hoping my son could get free to come and help me, but it's a half days' drive,and he was deep in work). THIS time, I found 'rafter ties' at Home Depot, and added them to the other rafters, as well as the one I had to completely replace! Also used galv. roofing SCREWS!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Margo

Here is a run in that is 10 X 20. Hubby found some used metal and bought it for $2 a sheet. He found a 5 gallon can of mis tinted outdoor paint at Lowes for $20. The posts are actually landscape timbers set down in 2 feet of cement. This building cost us less than $300 including primer and paint.

Farm006.jpg

All my barns are made with metal from Muller Inc. My broodmare barns were "kits" that come with everything you'll need to build them except the tools and manpower. They are 6'x9' with a skylight in the roof. My other barns we built ourselves. The barns are 6'x9' and split for 2 to share. The sides are 4' in the back and 4.6' in the front. The sheet metal is easy to work with and you can get all different colors.

The broodmare barns were only $450 each when we built them. I think now they are up to $1000.

The sheds are built with 1" square tubing welded into a frame and then the sides are screwed in.

broodbarns2.jpg

shedbarn1.jpg

shedrow.jpg

I put up two 12 X 24 and one 12 X 12 loafing shed in 2003 after a tornado blew my other ones away. I purchased kits at our local Lumber 2 company. I believe the 12 X 24 size was only around $800 at the time including colored metal. I paid the guy who waited on me in the store to erect them. I think I had less than $1500 each in the bigger ones and less than that for the small one. The larger ones are divided in half by a fence so each side serves a dry lot with around 4 horses each. They've worked out really well and were very reasonable in price.

Latest posts

Back