Men and Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see a lot of men... but honestly I will whole-heartedly agree with Mike!!!

Older men who are "horse guys" generally will want to be involved with more "masculine" breeds. My husband worked at Medieval Times jousting on Andalusian stallions and beating other guys with swords and stuff. To go from THAT to little prissy ponies... well he's a good sport for sure but he just thinks it's rediculous. He was SO excited when I got a horse he could RIDE.

So I imagine most guys want to deal with the non-prissy breeds... the rodeo stuff or some sort of riding discipline. Let's face it... minis focus mainly on halter in general and only now driving is becoming popular... everything else is frilly to the majority of men (I would guess).

As for the teenagers... they are daring and also want to ride, I'd guess. You know, impress the girls on a big fancy horse or invite them on a trail ride. But "hey girl... you wanna come see my halter mini? It does obstacle!" isn't as cool as "I have a couple Quarter Horses I show... wanna come ride this weekend?"

Andrea

Well i manage to drag dad to the shows, but does he enjoy it, not really, notice i said i have to drag him to the show. He is your typical old hillbilly ..if you want to find me father at a show, look for the man in overalls and a baseball hat ...that is him
default_smile.png
. I think he is starting to sort of somewhat almost kind of enjoy it, but he just does not enjoy the ponies ..i guess i will just have to accept that.

My nephew is 15 ....he really really enjoys the minis and ponies, he really really does. He will be making his debut in the show ring this year
default_yes.gif
. Prob will take him to a few rated shows next year. He does enjoy it, and since he admitted it, he has no choice
default_yes.gif
. So there is one teen guy coming into the ring next year
default_biggrin.png

It really is mostly ladies in the show ring, i can think of some men trainers / breeders though but they are outnumbered.

Now wait a min im not old as I not think I im 35 I dont call that old. I have been showing minis for about 6 years my wife come to cook and keep me inline. I wish more men would show I have been the only one. I think this year here are finely some guys in the driving classes. Halter makes me sick, just the tought of it im so nervios in the show ring, wait a mini its not jus in halter its when ever in in the ring. My trainer Lori G of Heart L Ranch tells me to smile heck smile all I can think about is did I screw of the class. O well im hooked I dont know what I would do with out my show family and all the great friend we meet along the way

My boys were in the same camp as Strass. They liked the minis just fine at home when nobody's looking but would not be caught dead seen with them in public. Michael showed Holly once and he was not amused. My boys are redneck through and through and been showing and riding big horses since they were little, so these little minis to them are just down right embarrassing especially when a lot of the girls ride big horses too. They also cringe at our farm name Brave Little Prancers[/i. The Hus however, thinks they are pretty cute.

Mike you need to be the AMHR/ASPC man of the year and then men everyone from village to farm---- from the white house to the out house----from sea to shining sea can show their miniatures/ponies with confidence, pride and manly-ness!
default_biggrin.png
Russ, Don't feed the egos, uh.. bears!!
default_biggrin.png

Seriously, it does take a man to be pretty secure in order to show these little horses. Even as a female, I get a lot of rib-poking about my little horses, so I can imagine the peer pressure for men is merciless. I'm very happy that my husband has embraced these horses with me, and doesn't let the rib-poking bother him! But there are very few men out there showing that aren't trainers.

We also have a teenage son that sounds similar to Marty's experiences with her boys. He is great with the horses at home, but has NO desire to publicly show that he has anything to do with them. I have seen a few teen boys out there showing, but very few initiate it themselves.

Sure, like you haven't squeezed into tight jeans, dropped a leed several times only to bend over in front of the judge co-quettishly while flexing a muscle showing a horse in the ring....we know Mike, we know the truth.
When I’m showing against a Pro-Am like Erica and she comes trotting in the ring with her assets bouncing all over the place, I’ve got to try and compete however I can. Of course I have. The problem is that I’m just not pretty enough.

I winked and blew a kiss to Portia Sue once and she just smiled real big at me and then gave me the gate. I flirted with Thurber just last month and he still didn’t give me a blue ribbon.

I reckon you’ve got to have a figure for Wranglers and cowboy boots. I showed last weekend in loose fit Lucky Brand jeans and Doc Martens. My horse flipped over before the judges even looked her over and I still won the class. A man’s got to wear what fits right. Wranglers aren’t for us larger fellas and they really don’t go with my personality anyway.

Strass, please tell me where you are showing next...I want to meet you...hysterical post. Are you sure you dont drag your knuckles....
I’ll be at Area 4 this Saturday, the next Ada, OK show and then of course Congress and R Nationals. Not sure how much I will be the one showing, but I’m really hoping to actually do Pleasure Driving for the first time this year. That should be good for a laugh or two.

Oh, and my knuckles do occasionally touch the ground, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it a “drag”.

I was kinda forced into showing when Julie's arm got pulled out of socked from our little colt. I was nervous as can be. But that was a month ago now and I can't wait till this weekend. Julie makes fun of me now I love our little guys and we had a blast at the area 3 show.

I have my black wranglers ready for the Fletcher show this weekend and the horses are all ready. I will have to try that droping the lead line and see if it works for me or not. I'll have to tell Julie was those jeans again and see if she can get them a little tighter on me.

We keep telling our boys that there isn't many boys showing and there are alot of cute little girls out there. Heck I would have loved it if my parents would have showed when I was a teenager.

Dang I am doing something wrong here girls. I am the groom and the toady at all the shows. I get the horses pretty and I hand them off to my husband to show. I can't keep me, horses and husband clean.

My husband has a manly job by day (Police Chief) and shows in Pink, Purple and Bright Yellow. Doesn't bother him to be bossed around by all the women we show with. Heck he probably enjoys the abuse.
default_biggrin.png

At local shows I see far more women showing but at Nationals I don't know where they come from but I see alot more men.

Hmmmm maybe I better take some suggestions and buy him tighter Wranglers and train him to wiggle his assets.

By Day

PB290003.jpg

Those are not work papers on the desk they are HORSE PAPERWORK!

On the weekends

reghorses011-1.jpg

You guys crack me up.

We travel to the shows with three teenage boys in tow - 16, 18 and 19, all of which show (in everything, including halter obstacle and showmanship!), and two of them aren't even related to us and therefore do it only because they want to!

We travel to the shows with three teenage boys in tow - 16, 18 and 19, all of which show (in everything, including halter obstacle and showmanship!), and two of them aren't even related to us and therefore do it only because they want to!
Most impressive. You'll have to tell us how you pull it off. Our son is about to end up being forced to show.

Someone was talking about men in showmanship and performance a little earlier.... Showmanship is my favorite class, and I have been undefeated in it for the last 2 years. I do performance with a pinto gelding, he is pretty good at it. We have done well in both Halter Obstacle and Hunter. I will use him to show in showmanship, Hunter, and Halter Obstacle at Worlds this year.

I can't keep me, horses and husband clean.
Boy can I relate to that.
default_yes.gif
When we go to a show, we usually take at least 5 or 6 (and 12 to last show with a friend helping me) and there is now way I can get my hair combed, my hands clean (I try to get all black off for supper) and proper clothes on and have those pretty little babies in the ring on time. My hubby shows most halter classes and this year we have a 13 yr old girl that will show the duplicates in a class. I can and will show only when necessary, but usually don't do as well because I don't get my head on right and screw it up.

As for why they guys won't show obstacle. Mine says it is "stupid" mostly cause he isn't willing to put in the time to teach the horse all the little things they need to know. He also doesn't like liberty or jumping, but will help Katie (the 13 yr old)whenever she asks him to try to teach one something for one of those classes.

strass for an ole guy YOU ROCK!

Girls have ALWAYS outnumber guys in horse showing. What an untapped venue.

Guys instead of going to the bar check out the local horse show, you will find EVERY age, shape and size available.

My little brother (17) has little interest in horses, but he recently came to a show to support me. He was dying from boredom till he found a chick to flirt with.

The chick has a boyfriend, but Danny says that's a "minor obstacle."

He's coming to the next show to "work on it."

default_rolleyes.gif

Kari

My guy is the designated cookie feeder and generalized spoiler of all critters in our possession (or owned by our friends) He is a self proclamed "non animal lover" but you could sure fool me
default_rolleyes.gif
We don't show but I'm sure knowing Jeremy it wouldn't take too many times to get him in the ring, especially since one of our good friend was out driving with us the other day and said he would love to show Billie sometime!

I hereby nominate Strass as "Forum member I most want to have a beer with." Of course, Russ will be honorable mention and will have to join in!

I guess I tricked Keith into showing by suggesting he write Mingus' Liberty tune, and that it should be a rocker. There is nothing in the world like watching my husband and my horse "onstage" as Keith's original tune and guitar solo wail in the background -- talk about goosebumps!

Then one show I had just gotten out of the hospital, and as we were ready to go in the ring for halter, I realized Mingus knew I wasn't up to snuff and was dissing me right and left. I quickly slapped the number on Keith's back and in they went -- and got the blue (from Portia -- hey Strass, it worked with him!)

Someone actually came up to Keith and Mingus after that first halter class and said, "I guess that's sort of a man's mini..." Not sure what I think of that...

Keith gets out there with his beard and long hair (the Keith Urban look, hehe) and nobody questions him (although he actually is a very quiet, nurturing type of guy). He pulls off the slightly country rocker look, even with a mini at the end of the lead, so I guess he shows a guy can be cool even showing a small horse.

(I always love Jenn's comments about Keith, though she makes him blush!)

Funny, but he draws the line at grooming. Maybe that's survival instinct, though, since nothing is ever good enough for me, and I keep working on the horse practically into the ring...

Thanks for the smile Strass and Russ. I needed one today.

And yes, Strass (aka Mike) is a load of fun and ain't bad to drink with either! Your face will hurt from laughing so much!
default_yes.gif

I have to add a true story...

When Keith's uncle was in Naby boot camp, the drill sargeant did the typical scowl and growl as they all stood at attention. He screamed in their faces ranting and raving, bringing more than a few macho guys to their knees

"I don't think there's a man in the bunch of you," he snarled, walking down the line. "I bet you wimps like CATS. So tell me, who amongst you so-called men likes CATS?"

Keith's Uncle Dave, not about to be intimidated, put his hand up and was joined by a tentative few.

The nasty drill sargeant got right in Uncle Dave's face, practically spitting.

"So you love kitty cats, huh?"

Still in Uncle Dave's face, he screamed at everyone: "Just look at these guys with their hands up. They are the only real men here, because only a real man is big enough to admit they love a little cat."

That drill sargeant was a pretty smart guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back