Men and Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JewelsOK

Reaction score
We were at the Stillwater, OK show this past weekend and it was great. What really surprised me is the percentage of men that are involved in showing miniatures! It had to have been near 50% if not higher. It was great - I wish I could get my husband involved!

My oldest daughter has been riding horses for over 6 years and has shown a bit and we almost never see boys/men involved. Every once in a while there will be 1 or 2 male entrants but it is mostly girls/women. Even at the lesson barns it is 10 girls for every boy. At playdays the ratio goes up a little bit, but still mostly girls/women. At the couple barns we have boarded at there are very rarely more that one or two male boarders and sometimes none.

What is it about showing minis that attracts men? Is the Stillwater show representative of male involvement elsewhere? I think it is so neat to see something that is so enjoyable for both genders!

Julie

From what I have seen here in Australia, the ratio of men to women is much higher.

The majority of people out in the show ring are men!

I think it's great. My husband has ZERO interest in showing and either do I. I go along to watch but don't participate.

Around here the women out number the men. Theres also a huge shortage of teen boys around here which makes it hard on my son Kyle. I keep hoping we will get more. My hubby will not show darn it. He always says hes the gopher and cheerleader LOL.

What is it about showing minis that attracts men?
Their wonderful wives? Harvey will show our minis to help me out and he REALLY helps out so much behind the scenes here at home and as groom when we show.

I was raised on a farm (many years ago). The livestock was the mens work. Life changed and I was away from livestock for many years. When I got into Minis several years ago, I was shocked at the number of women involved and that almost everyone on every forum just assumed anyone involved with Minis was a woman. :DOH!

My wife says her job is to pet the babies. Everything else is my job. Oh well.

Here it's mostly women that are out in the showring. At our recent show I can think of 2 guys there that were showing--one man and one teenage boy. Well, two boys--the younger brother of the one was out in some classes too. There may have been a second man--I didn't see him in the ring this year but he was at the show & last year he did go out in the ring, so likely was showing this year too even though I didn't see him. I didn't watch the youth classes, so it's possible there were some younger boys showing in those.

Definitely more women, though there are many men (husbands of the women that are showing) helping out behind the scenes, caring for & grooming the horses & being the general gophers

At the small number of shows I have attended so far I would say its at least equal in the show ring. My husband and I have discussed him showing, and he might down the road, but at the moment he does not have time, however his involvement is amazing. He's never built anything in his life. He'd rather hire someone to do it. He built our mini barn. He makes the hay runs. He completely reorganized his work schedule (his busiest time of year) to make a run to Indiana to meet our sellers to pick up our new horses. He feeds every morning before he goes to work. Me makes shoes for our little guy that needs a little correction. He's not really a horse lover, but he loves me so he does these things. So even though you don't see them in the show ring doesn't mean more men aren't involved.
default_yes.gif

I have been involved in both the riding world (Hunter/Jumper, and eventing) and the minis. I have found the highest percentage of men in Eventing, probably a good 20% maybe a little more. Here at least the men in minis and hunter/jumpers are way less than women, Maybe 10% or less. And usually, a good percentage of the males are kids.

default_yes.gif

I was just wondering this exact thing at the last show. I do alot of halter obstacle, and I see very few men do this class. I wonder why?????
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

hehehehe

I'm not surprised. I can't even IMAGINE my husband in an obstacle class. :stupid

You know how most men won't ask for directions? If my husband is lost he is so anal he will ask someone new for directions every 1/2 mile until he arrives at his destination. He would never have the attention span or the patience for obstacle.

He loves Jumper Class though because the placings are entirely out of the judges hands. It is between you and your horse and working together and skill and luck.

He also loves roadster class because it is all about speed and no walking your horse or backing in the line up.

Having said that..

.....and having picked on my husband....

.....though anybody that knows him knows he can take it AND dish it right back out.......
default_yes.gif

I think it is great that he is so involved in our minis. I grew up on a farm and always had a big horse and after we got married we (well, me) always had horses but he really just wasn't interested and beyond doing a little bit of trail riding he really wasn't involved with the horses and we didn't show or anything.

He really enjoys every aspect of our minis and is very involved in everything to do with them.

In our area we see a lot of men involved whether in the show ring or there at the show helping and supporting the rest of the family. We were at a show this past weekend and thinking back I am sure that most classes were pretty even as far as men/women ratio. (except obstacle, of course
default_rolleyes.gif

Few I have been too over the years..there were as many as 50% men showing in halter or cart. Think it is wonderful that they do get out there and show.
default_yes.gif

Well as a man I enjoy showing my minis. I show at halter and in cart. I have not show in Hunter yet as I don't think I have a horse for it. In hand obstacale, when I have a horse that is able to do it to my standards, as for jumping I don't think so, once through the course is enough for me. I would like to thank my wife though as she supports my interest in showing and is my groom at the shows and is good at it.

It seems as if I’ve talked about this somewhere recently. I’ll tone down my response here so as to not upset anyone’s delicate senses.

As a heterosexual male under the age of 50 that is not being paid to be involved, I notice quite a bit that I am in the minority at small equine events. There are very few strait young men involved in this life style unless they’ve made a job of it. There are even fewer that I would consider to be “masculine”. (Do keep in mind that I am a large, gruesome ogre and am only the 3rd generation in my family to not drag my knuckles as I walk.)

Guys tend to be a little rough on each other. I used to catch a lot of pooh from my coworkers about the little horses. It’s just not a manly thing. For some guys, that razzing is a deterrent. As an overly aggressive Alpha-Male, I just verbally attack and belittle any man that questions me. Nobody makes fun of me about it anymore (to my face).

As Kaykay pointed out, there is a real shortage of teenage boys. This (I believe) is due to the fact that showing little horses has a negative coolness factor. There are plenty of things for teen boys to do that are cool. “Primpin’ Ponies” ain’t one of ‘em. There are things that we could do to make it cooler, but few people have much interest in these things because it would be a bit of a shake up.

I’ve told many others this same thing: We do well with the little ones, but we lose all appeal for most teenage boys because we fail miserably to make the shows cool and fun for them. One of my favorite examples is Liberty music. Folks, have you ever heard what most teens listen to? I’m young enough that most of the Liberty music I hear makes me want to jam hoof picks through my ear drums. On the other side of that, I have seen the faces and heard the comments from several individuals in their 60’s or so when a youth has made the ill-advised decision to play some of the Devil’s Rock-n-Roll. (Just as I had been thinking to myself “It’s about time someone picked something that wasn’t over 20 years old and sang by a redneck in wranglers so tight that a real man could never move around in them.”) Here’s the rule I follow: If it was cool when I was young, it is NOT COOL NOW.

I could pontificate endlessly with a variable cornucopia of further examples, but my whole point is that we can’t expect teen boys to show up if we have nothing to offer that interests them. The main point I try to sell them: There’s a wonderful ratio of Chicks there. One of the best things about horse shows for me is getting attention from so many ladies. If I were a single man, I’d be at a horse show every weekend checking conformation on 2 legged fillies. Of course, I’d be lonely too because there wouldn’t be anyone else like me to hang out with.

Halter obstacle? Showomanship? Note that these are the things that big time trainers seldom do. Since many of the guys you see showing are trainers...it makes sense that there are fewer men in these classes. Other guys tend to stick to classes that are simpler. These 2 examples seem a bit complicated to me, Mongo.

Some of us are going to have to be willing to make fools of ourselves and have a good time doing it before certain things will be acceptable. I’ll stop now before I slip into insulting anyone further.

We don't show, but I can say my husband is not into the "bigs", he's just not into riding and bottom line is I'm pretty sure he's scared, like any sensible person should be of a rather large flight animal
default_biggrin.png

But he likes our minis because they do make for great pets and I NEVER ask him to ride them!
default_smile.png

default_new_rofl.gif
I enjoyed your response Strass!

Sure, like you haven't squeezed into tight jeans, dropped a leed several times only to bend over in front of the judge co-quettishly while flexing a muscle showing a horse in the ring....we know Mike, we know the truth.

default_biggrin.png
Just teasing ya

In reality it's hard work showing in the ring....I'm sweating just thinking about it....I get really nervous.

I don't know why but my mind goes blank in the ring....and I can never think of a role model when I really need one.

Mike you need to be the AMHR/ASPC man of the year and then men everyone from village to farm---- from the white house to the out house----from sea to shining sea can show their miniatures/ponies with confidence, pride and manly-ness!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Strass: LOL!
default_488.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
I think you've got a new fan club! Sign me up!

I think it's GREAT the fellas enjoy the horses and showing. My husband Tommy is mini and show crazy!

In the 70's when I was in the POA's there were about 20 girls for every boy, so it wasn't that exciting in the boy department as a teen.

GO BOYS!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Here some times I have been the only guy showing minis. My wife will take some in the ring if needed but she really likes doing the paperwork in the booth during the shows. I have been showing cattle for 30 plus years and some times it was all guys and sometimes 50/50 and few times mostly women showing.

Here in Maine showing minis we are finally getting more guys showing. Most came with thier wives or girl friends. I do the showmanship class and trail just for fun and experience. Nice to not be the only guy out there though. At our show last Sunday there were a couple young gentlemen showing and a couple of the young ladies tracked down one of them. I hope he didn't get scared off! At the show a week ago there were a number of guys showing both young and old.

Latest posts

Back