Medication Reaction?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candleliteranch

Reaction score
My friend has a mare that's had a chronic cough for months now. The vet found slight wheezing in a quadrant of one of her lungs. She put her on Albuterol (20 mg twice/day) and SMZ (5 tabs twice/day). The mare weighs in at 450#.

After taking the meds for 1 week "Pixie" was found in a total sweat. Owner checked breathing and heart rate, both of which were normal. She's done this several times. It is not hot here right now, there is no weather conditions that should affect her as far as sweating. The owner contacted the vet concerned about possible reactions to the albuterol. Vet said that it's highly unlikely to have that kind of reaction to albuterol or SMZ's. Just as a precaution Pixie was taken off of both meds.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Any thoughts or experiences will be greatly appreciated.
default_yes.gif
:

That's a very common reaction to Albuterol, in humans too. I'd ask the vet for a different bronchodilator.

i agree sweating is a very common reaction to albuterol. we also had a mare do that when she was on it.

Yup quit the albuterol, and try another, there are some very mild child types that can and will help, ask her to inquire about those.

I would switch to Ventipulman. It works well. And also when ever I had a horse with any weezing in the lungs it went on something stronger than SMZ's. Make sure her temp is O.K. Or your vet can run blood to make sure you are treating her for the right bacteria. Lorie

Hello LUNG WORMS

I had a horse arrive here a few years ago with a constant cough.

She wasn't "sick" no temp, no snots, .........just that coughing

I wet down her hay, her grain, and she still had a persistant coughing.

Finally I did the 5 day de-worming with Safe-guard followed by ivermectrin 10 days later.

Bye bye coughing

Latest posts

Back