Measurement proposal submitted to AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadowind

Reaction score
Following is a revision of a post that I put on a couple of years ago. I have honed it somewhat and have also submitted a rule change to AMHA. If there was time, it should have been presented to the Board at the June meeting.

Last year following the Nationals and World Shows we had a huge discussion on measurement that in many ways was not a lot different that the discussions we have been having this year. I’m not talking about specific circumstances, rather the whole issue of measuring. We still get frustrated with the process and it seems that any efforts to tighten things up haven’t worked. I think drastic changes are warranted if we expect anything to improve. I know some people say it can never happen. I realize that it will take a huge amount of intestinal fortitude to make a drastic change, but those who set up the first registries weren’t afraid to go out on a limb. We shouldn’t be afraid either if it means making a good thing better.

I believe that both registries need to look at this idea. My proposal is an AMHA proposal; however, I believe the same transition could take place in the AMHR registry. (I believe Shetlands are measured at the highest point of the withers, so it would make sense that Miniatures could be measured there as well, since there are getting to be more and more ASPC/AMHR double registered horses.)

Thoughts on choosing the wither to measure Miniature horses:

* As an equine height breed, we should be measuring using the acceptable method of measuring height recognized by all equine breeds. The highest point of the wither is the measure accepted by all other equine breeds.

* The wither is a bone; therefore it is not as subjective as the last hair of the mane.

* The wither is not in the center of the back, as it appears some last hairs of the mane are.

* The wither cannot be moved, glued, transplanted, or left to grow long.

* I believer the BMHS (and perhaps other International groups) already measure miniatures at the wither. Measuring at the wither would facilitate the process of purchasing and selling horses between North America and Europe.

* It is interesting that we are the only equine breed that can change size by clipping.

*Recent difficulties cited at both AMHR Nationals and AMHA World shows are indications that the last hair of the mane is just too subjective.

* Using the suggested system does not mean that the horse is now bigger, it is now just measured differently.

* Very few horses (if any) would now be registered that were not eligible for registration under the original system.

* Under the new system, no horses would lose their papers.

* Very few horses would show with a different group of horses than they previously did.

* I know a few of people would like to see the measurement at the withers to be 34â€. I am proposing 36†in order to as closely as possible maintain the integrity of the goals of the original registries founders.

Mike R. stated last year “I was able to visit with Ray Ross at great length and this topic was one that I had him explain. In the beginning of AMHA there was a controversy {believe it or not} on heights. There was a group that wanted 36 and a group that wanted 34. The compromise of 34 and the last hair is what they finally agreed to.â€

I propose:

* that Miniature Horses in the AMHA will be measured at the withers, (as is done in all other equine breeds,) beginning January 1, 2008.

* that all horses born in 2008 and following will be measured under the new system and that the letter W be placed after the inches on the registration papers to ensure that there is no confusion regarding the method of deriving that measurement.

* that the maximum height be 36†(9H) as measured at the wither, at or after the age of 5 years.

- 35 inches for 2 year olds

- 34 inches for yearlings

- 32 inches for weanlings

* that all horses born in 2007 or before will be allowed to keep the permanent measurement already given or the measurement attained at the age of 5 years, as allowed under the original system, if desired.

* that no horse permanently registered by the end of 2007 will be revoked due to the new measurement system.

* That any horses whose papers have already been revoked due to being oversize under the original system would not have their papers reinstated.

* that those horses whose owners choose to keep the measurement under the original system will have a notation “Original Measurement System†on their registration papers.

* that beginning in 2008, show heights will be as follows (as measured at the highest point of the withers):

- 34†& under from the original system would become 36â€W & under

- 32â€-34†from the original system would become 34-36â€W

- 30â€-32†from the original system would become 32â€-34â€W

- 28â€-30†from the original system would become 30â€-32â€W

- 28†& under from the original system would become 30â€W & under

* that those horses whose papers have retained their measurement according to the original system would enter the corresponding new class. E.g. If a horse measured 33 at the withers, but measured 31.5 under the old system, the owner would show it in the 32-34â€W class even if he/she chose not to change the registration papers. E.g. If a horse measured 31.75â€W at the wither but had been 31†under the old system, the owner would show it in the 30-32â€W class whether or not he/she opted to have the horse recorded under the new system.

* that horses measured under the original system must choose to retain the original system on their papers, or adopt the new system on their papers by December 31, 2014.

Suggested rule changes are underlined

GR - 020

A.

* No Miniature Horse shall exceed 36 inches in height.

* Weanlings must not exceed 32 inches.

* Yearlings must not exceed 34 inches.

* Two-year-olds must not exceed 35 inches.

- The show age of the horse is determined from January 1 preceding its birthday

GR – 020

B.

* Horse's height must be verified on a hard, level surface, preferably concrete or paved, in a public place, by a Show Official and witnessed by a member sponsoring the show.

* The measurement must be video taped at all sanctioned shows, and the tape forwarded to be filed with AMHA, for future reference, in the case of a complaint or dispute.

* No person with horses being shown competing in the show may be a measuring official at the show.

*An independent third party working in a location away from the Measuring Surface, will place a mark on the horse at the highest point of the wither before it is measured by the designated Show Official.* The measuring device used to measure the first horse must be used to measure all the horses.

* A standard measurement stick is a straight, stiff, unbendable stick (metal) that is equipped with a bulls eye, plumb bob or a spirit level to make sure that the standard is perpendicular to the ground and that the cross piece or arm is parallel with the ground surface.

C.

* Management shall announce the time and place for height verification.

D.

* To receive an exhibitor's number, the horse must be measured and have height recorded on the entry sheet by the person measuring horses or by his designee.

GR - 020

E.

* The height verification of the Miniature Horse shall be determined by measuring the vertical distance from the highet point of the wither to the ground with the front two legs vertical and in line with or parallel to the measuring device, and the back cannon bone must be perpendicular to the floor.

* The horse's head and neck shall be in a natural position. The head must be held with a loose line, not stretched forward. *After the horse is set up for measurement by the handler, said handler may not touch the horse i.e. stretching the head forward, moving the feet, touching the back or pressing down on any part of the back until the measurer removes the measuring stick.

* The animal must stand squarely on all four feet.

* No height allowance will be made for excessive foot.

* Unless the handler accepts the first measurement obtained, each horse shall be measured one time from each side, and one additional measurement, to consist of a total of three (3). These three (3) measurements must be added together and divided by three (3) to get the average height, which shall determine the initial measurement. All three (3) measurements must be made consecutively, and other horses may not be measured until an initial measurement is obtained on each horse.

F.

* After initial measurement, including multi-judge shows, horses may not return more than one (1) time to be re-measured. This re-measurement must be done again according to "E" above. A horse that has to be re-measured must be sound.

* The measuring process will result in a final measurement.

G.

* A valid measurement card shall be issued for horses sixty months and older at the horse's first show or as soon as possible thereafter, which will be valid for that calendar year.

* Cards are not valid at Championship or World Championship Shows.

H.

Protest concerning Height se GR-050-C

One suggestion was to collect data on measurements so that the proposal would have substance in the form of actual measurements to back up the proposal. I posted a survey a couple of years ago where people could enter data regarding the heights, noting the differences between the wither and the last hair of the mane. It was posted late in the year, and it was not posted for very long. If there is enough interest perhaps the survey could be pinned for a month or two. Since this is the season when we are all working with our horses, perhaps it would be easier to collect data.

For those who did send data, I still have it, but wonder if you would mind posting again so that we have the most current information possible.

Measurement Survey

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.

Very well thought out. Although you have a hard road ahead of you.

One thing.........If this is for AMHA, and obviously (hopefully) for AMHR Division A, what would be the suggestion for AMHR, Division B?

MA

This is a very well thought out and well written piece of work.

Well done, and Thankyou.
default_smile.png

BUT.....

it will NEVER be accepted by AMHA as too many people have far too much riding on the height of their horses!!!

We do not have a problem with making out horses under the accepted heights- ie 34" Adult, 33" two year olds, 32" yearlings and 30" foals, at the withers- I honestly think that, although far more controversial, this is the only way forward.

This is all hypothetical as it will NEVER happen!!!
default_smile.png

The easiest thing would have been not to have allowed it to happen in the first place, but there you go, fait accomplis, as it were.

So, in England and Europe, we are stuck with the problem of one, small part of our Mini World claiming to have horses up to two inches smaller than they actually are, by sticking to the US way of measuring, and the majority of the showing world standing by the traditional method of measuring- to the withers.

But, still Thankyou for taking the time to do this and to man the attempt to scale the heights
default_smile.png

A very worthy effort that a lot of us appreciate.
default_yes.gif
:

i have to agree with the above, i think it would make things so much easier if everone was measured the same way, you determination is great i hope you can pull it off, it is so well written and i hope you suceed...goodluck!! :bgrin

Well done, but some additions to your proposal, you need to also propose changes to ALL references to 34" including the by laws, etc. Bit of a sticky thing, trying to convert to the traditional method of measuring, but I agree with you, it makes sense but this is a tough group to budge.

As far as I know, it was not discussed in June in the Board, Computer, or Rules and Regs Committe meetings, so this proposal needs to be submitted in February to go through the two year process meaning your dates will need adjusted.

As for the comment about voting without attending the meeting, here goes my broken record. That won't change until someone makes the effort to try to get it changed and that has not happened. This has to come from the people who want the change. Those of us who attend the meetings aren't going to take it forward, we attend and vote so it is not an issue for us.

Also, one lesson I learned and this has been reinforced through the years. I will go to these meetings with strong opinions on issues only to change my mind after hearing other points of view. I only see issues and can only relate to them as I know the world to be. After hearing from folks from other parts of the country, I see where my vote would have ended up a very bad idea after all, and mind changed.

I think it is a GREAT proposal!!! I could support it as written OR even if using the 34 inch standard at the withers (which would cause one or two of mine to exceed 34).

Good luck. I hope this will draw some attention.

I would support this change. I do have a mare right at 34" but she is AMHR so it really would not change anything. I think this would make measuring much less subjective. jennifer :saludando:

[SIZE=12pt] WOW, you have ben busy! Good job that was a ton of work for you. I think it needs to be done. Especially when you say that other countries measure at the top of the withers. We want to call our Nationals, the World show, I think we need to add what the world does too. JMO.[/SIZE]

Thank you for working so hard for this issue.

-Kim

Thoughts on choosing the wither to measure Miniature horses:

* As an equine height breed, we should be measuring using the acceptable method of measuring height recognized by all equine breeds. The highest point of the wither is the measure accepted by all other equine breeds.* The wither is a bone; therefore it is not as subjective as the last hair of the mane.

* The wither is not in the center of the back, as it appears some last hairs of the mane are.

* The wither cannot be moved, glued, transplanted, or left to grow long.
I couldn't agree more. You have put a lot of thought and effort into this and you should be commended. :aktion033: Whether it is 36" or 34" the bottom line is getting people who will do the job correctly. There are always people that are going to try to cheat, but just like you said the withers is a bone and not as subjective as mane hairs. I say it's time for the Miniature Horse "breed" to get up to standard with the rest of the Equine World!

You have done a great job with this, and covered all your bases. However, and I don't intend to sound pessimistic, but I don't think it'll happen. Atleast, not right now and not with 36". As someone else said, far too many people have too much riding on the height of their horses. It makes sense to me to measure at the withers; EVERYONE else does! Some success with this rule change might be seen if it were to still be 34" and under.

Kari

I like this idea. I don't know about the 36" part, as I am not sure it would make two inches' difference, but as long as it didn't disqualify any horses already "in", I think it might just stand a chance.

I usually end up measuring at the withers here at home b/c I figure that is the "worst case scenario" so to speak. Still SO MANY variables.

In full size breeds, a half inch does NOT make a big difference or change in height, and yet w/ours, it is a world of difference.

Liz M.

I've been away for awhile so I'm catching up.

Thank you to those who have responded to this suggestion and also to those who have emailed me with your thoughts as well. I would appreciate even more feedback so that when this is brought forward, all bases will be covered.

I have been told by some people that it is a waste of time, because it will never happen. Other than the apparent political reasons, am I missing something? I need to hear the "cons" as well as the "pros". PMs are fine if you'd prefer not to post.

Also if you get a minute when you are measuring, could you measure at the wither to check the amount of difference?

Thanks

The reason it will not happen is that too many people, who's horses would then measure 36" have a vested interest in keeping their horses measured in at 34"- and I KNOW you are not suggesting that they be excluded but even so they will not want this happening.

Then, at the other end of the scale, too many people have a vested interest in their horses being extra tiny- how about them??

Suddenly , overnight, your 24" horse gets measured at it's true height- what is that going to do to the price of his foals??

In fact, nothing, as foals should and do sell on the soundness of their dam and sire, in the majority of cases, but, even so.........

No, it was started in order to get overheight horses into the book, and I am afraid you are stuck with it.

I would and shall support you in any way I can every step of the way, and I admire you for taking up this challenge, but in my heart I know you are doomed to failure
default_sad.png

I congratulate you on an excellent and well planned rule proposal. My thought, having been very active in the AMHA since shortly after it's beginning, is that your proposal might have a chance of passing if you kept the heights as they now exist. Raising it to 36" goes against our Articles of Incorporation and I don't think that you will ever get enough support to raise the height. Changing "where" the horse is measured may have a chance, in my opinion, though. Of course those who are trying to breed 34" driving horses will be adamant against it I would imagine, but AMHR ought to support it because it would be a windfall for them, since many horses would have to move to that registry.

I will measure a few of ours to see the difference. I have done it before but don't have my notes from the project at that time, but I don't think that any varied as much as two inches. I believe I remember it being closer to no change to 3/4".

Good luck and thanks for your work. Would that every rule change proposal came in as well written as yours.

Latest posts

Back