McNasty or Raplast???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Has anyone tried either of these products??? My filly is eating my gelding's tail, and today I sprayed his tail with Bitter Apple. I don't have complete faith that this will deter her, as she enjoys the flavor of Irish Spring Soap.
default_sad.png
So I am trying to find something stronger. McNasty is supposed to be the strongest stuff out there to prevent wood chewing, and Raplast is made to deter mane/tail eating. I'm just not sure which one to go with. I really hate the thought of having to vet-wrap his tail.

FOOEY!
3699000055B.jpg

its what we use on chickens when there plucking fethers out of others.. boy is that stuff NASTY. i bet it make her stop!
default_smile.png

you get it at pet co

Last edited by a moderator:
well i have tried mcNasty on everything in the barn, and the horses never do chew. but that stuff chokes you, makes your eyes burn...etc, so use in well-ventalated area. and im not sure what it would do to a tail. i know it would stop the biter, not sure how it is for skin. it may irritate it, but i have never tried it on the actual horse, so i really wouldn't know.
default_smile.png

good luck stopping that tail eater!
default_yes.gif
:

I just bought some Raplast. My Great Dane puppy, Rumble, age 8 months(100pounds already) started to chew my bannister and wood work. Used it and it sent my husband into an asthma attack. It works but be careful with it.

Vet wrap would not work- she would rip that off too, and possibly swallow some of that as well!

I have never had to deal with this problem, but good luck. Sounds like maybe the one stuff, if used in a well ventilated area, might be ok. Just dont know WHY some do this! Our neighbors had one, very annoying. I would really worry about 'hair balls'!?

if you use foory you wont have to worry about ventalashion as it dont smell its just VARY bitter and will make her not like the tast thus making the biting stop.

The tail-chewing is interesting. I had a Mare come into my Stud for me to sell On-Behalf and I introduced her into a small friendly group. She was here for approx. 5 weeks before she sold and in that time she chewed the most gorgeous tail off a broodmare and I couldn't believe how quickly it happened. One day I noticed the mare's tail was looking a bit stringy and the next day..it was gone!! :new_shocked:

I was talking to her New owner and ....guess what!!!! :new_shocked: she has chewed the tail out of her 'Show Horse"

What causes this? Is she lacking something in her diet? Bored??

Any info would be appreciated....by us both!!!

Sorry, just got back to this topic and saw your questions. From what I gather, I think Zoey is just bored and trying to be a brat. She started out with wood chewing, so I covered all the wood in her reach. Then she went to eating manure, and I can't really stop that one as I already clean the pen out at least three times daily. She stopped eating her manure, and then two months later, began eating my gelding's tail.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I have started spraying his tail with Bitter Apple, and it has definatley slowed her down. I am trying to keep it on there as much as possible, that way it will get her to realize that "his tail=yucky". I also braided his tail and scrunchied it up the first two days, to stop her from getting individual strands. That seems to have worked, but I stopped because I'm worried that it will break off. I'm not so worried that he'll have no tail, I just don't want her to get sick out of it.

I can't possibly think of what nutrients she could be missing to cause her to do this. But I don't know for sure. I just assumed it's a phase she's going through.
default_wacko.png
:

I would try Raplast or Fooey because they're made to be put on animals. If you try McNasty, put it on a small area to make sure he doesn't have a reaction to it first before covering the whole tail.

Leslie

Spray it with listerne........full strength
Haha...when Zoey had her wood chewing habit, we sprayed the wood areas with full strength listerine, and it didn't deter her. But then again, neither did the Irish Spring soap or Dawn dish soap.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back