May have to make a run to Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdmomjb

Reaction score
My sister-in law is living in Alaska and wants to come home.

Her truck is not in the best of conditions and my husband and I may need to go up and help if their turck cant make the run.

Do we need to get a pass port to drive into/through Canada?

I dont know I thought the pass port if you were flying.

Jan

Hi Jan,

I live in Washington up near the border so I think I can help you out. At this time you do not need a passport to cross into or out of Canada. However, each person needs some kind of good identification, and just a picture driver's license usually isn't enough. That plus a birth certificate works at this time. One of the crossing agents, when I asked, said that just about anybody can get a driver's license in any state without hardly any proof of who they are, including illegal aliens, so they are fairly nervous if a driver's license is all you have.

Actually, it's easier to get into Canada than it is getting back into the US. That's when they really scrutinize who you are. We finally just went ahead and got our passports as we cross about monthly and it is just plain easier. When you present your passport, they scan them, ask you about a few contraband items that they don't want brought in, and usually you're free to go. Sometimes they do a random search, but it hasn't happened to us yet.

I sure hope you don't have to do this trip, as it will be incredibly expensive and the trip is far further than most people realize. I just got back from gassing up at $3.39 a gallon. Can't she just sell the truck cheap, ship some things and fly home? I just asked my husband and he said from our border here in WA to the nearest point in Alaska is some 1600 miles. Then how far is it from where you're at to here? Probably about 2000 miles? Wow, you really might need to come up with a plan B.

I wish you the best of luck! I know family things are scary and sometimes need to happen fast, but really think hard about driving this one. OK?

Jayne

Jayne, she is up there with everything she owns including the horsetrailer. I agree that flying would be cheeper but she does not wish to loose everything she has ever owned.

So if things go south for her we'll go get her.

I think I remember tilling her that this was a bad idea. But I wont remind her of this.

JAN

I had a friend last week turned away at the border because she did not have a passport. Not sure if it is the same at every entry point or not. But please chcek through the web link above beforfe you try.
That is REALLY strange, because at this time, passports are NOT required. Proper ID as mentioned above is, but passports are not, if travelling by personal vehicle. For ID, it is proof of citizenship that is required, and that is why a driver's licence won't always do the job, also as stated above.

They were going to have Passports mandatory Dec 06...but they changed the rules.

Not sure what was up when she tried to go through...but it is best to check the web site just to make sure.

Or it could of beeen someone there working that did not know what was going on...who knows.

Before I was hurt...was planning on another trip into Canada. The above web site at the time said I would need a passport Mid Dec. Never happened since I was hurt.

This is the first time I looked at the web page again..and a lot of things they said would happen have changed. But to be on the safe side.. would check just to make sure what is needed.

To me,,I never thought as Canada as another country since my Mothers's side of the family are original from there.

World is changing and not for the better.

Here is a more detailed page

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/whtibasics.shtm

Last edited by a moderator:
If you aren't going before the next two weeks you can email me and I will know in 13 days. We are crossing the border into Canada by RV with our three kids and one has yet to receive her passport & birth certificate back in the mail.
default_wacko.png
: I will probably order another copy of her birth certificate to be on the safe side in the event her passport doesn't arrive in the mail in time.

In the past I have taken the kids into Canada by car and RV and have always done fine with my driver's license and everyone's birth certificates. I also bring a letter from their dad indicating he knows I'm not fleeing the country with his kids in tow. :bgrin It always looks strange for a woman to drive three young kids across the border in a big Class A motorhome without the husband along for the ride.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We have had a harder time crossing back into the US and last year they wanted to search the RV. They were nice about it and actually cracked jokes with me (not my usual experience) but it was fine. Usually they look at you like you are guilty of something...or maybe my interpretation only. :bgrin

Our dog flyball team crosses back and forth into Canada all the time - they went this weekend as well. Without me - as it is foaling season... *sigh* .... but as others have noted, NO YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSPORT if you are driving. Supposedly by 2008 you will. As I have to keep up to date on the border issues (I am here on a work visa) - I know that the very earliest dates that a passport was being considered for land entries was spring 2007 - and then that was pushed back...

From the Homeland Security website...

For Land/Sea Travel
As early as January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), could be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security in a forthcoming separate rule.

While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible.

We will provide advance notice so you can obtain acceptable documents for land/sea entries.
Shari - there must have been some other reason that the officer turned your friend back... no birth certificate, perhaps?

You do need some kind of official picture ID (driver's licence) and a birth certificate - as others have wisely noted above...

Dogs travelling with you will need a rabies certificate - they do not always ask to see it but if they do, you better have it...

If you are flying - then a passport is absolutely necessary.

Like I said about my friend,, not sure,,,since I was not there, just have to go by what she said..

But I do have the paperwork from the Embassy/Passport office the ones I never sent in. Said I would need the Passport by 16 Dec 06. But that is a Moot point now...since they keep changing the requirements.

And boy the web site has changed.

By the time I can travel again, Looks like I will need a passport. I should just go ahead and get them now.

Much cheaper than putting a rush on them.

As far as I know (and I've been back & forth across the border a few times going to dog shows), you do not need a passport to get through the border either into the US or into Canada...but it does make it easier. You do need some kind of id though...I think I used to use driver's licence & birth certificate.

If you are flying - then a passport is absolutely necessary.
Yes, this is true.....if I fly INTO the US from Canada, I need a passport....that is a US rule now....anyone flying from anywhere INTO the US, you need a passport

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back