Maroon Discharge in Maiden Mare??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight_minis

Reaction score
Tika is due to foal on April 17th but she's well within foaling range. She's got a very thick, sticky, Maroon discharge. I've never seen that in any of my mares before wether they were maiden or experienced. She also has a tiny bag but cant express any fluid at all. She's carrying the baby really low i think she's going to foal early. Her temp is 100.1 so pretty normal. Her eatting and everything else seems normal. I'm just hoping that there isnt trouble brewing. I'm worried the discharge could be a bad sign. I felt the foal moving a bit tonight but definatly quieter than it was a few days ago. Could mean getting ready to be born or could be dying.
default_thumbdown.gif
Thats my good verses worst possible senario. I'm soo looking forward to this baby. I'm betting on a filly already have her named Kaylee.

Anyone have any experience with this??

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like your mare has lost her muscus plug and has a little discharge with it. It sounds like you are very close to foaling. Keep a close eye on her.

How many days gestation is your mare? That would be the critical factor as to whether there is a problem or not. Hopefully, not!

Bred may 11-17. I usually take the day they were out of heat and then subtract a month which would put her due around April 17th So far its been pretty accurate on most of my mares. Its roughly 323 days for Tika.

found a pic of the mucus plug on Cranbox minis yep looks just like that! I noticed just a tiny bit a day or two ago vet says nothing to worry about but today there was a WHOLE lot more so was naturally worried. Not found much info on it online. Hopefully i can last out till the baby arrives i'm soooo tired and have to go to work every day so no sleeping in for me. So far all has been quiet till about 4 am. Thats when Tika decides to sleep lying down. A few nights ago she was up and down a lot more. I usually notice closer to foaling they set off the alarm less. Hope i dont sleep through it or turn it off in preps of getting up to look and never make it out of bed. Done that before and woke up to a baby got lucky. Keep your fingers crossed!!! Looking for a Dunskin filly most likely solid but hoping pinto. Tika is my avatar pic. LOVE this mare i hope the baby moves just like her.

I agree it sounds like the mucus plug :)

many of my maidens foal a little early so keep an eye on her

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replys! Virtually no sleep. I dont drink coffee but I'm having some this AM! Was all worried and excited thinking she'd have it last night. I found one article said that it could be 3 weeks before they foal after the plug is seen.
default_frusty.gif
I think she'll foal by this weekend. I guess now i'm in the trend. The alarm didnt go off once last night she would have let me sleep but 3:30 am i'm wide awake. She was lying down upright and seemed uncomfy so finally i went out side to check on her in person. She was fine. The baby was moving its head back and forth high up in the hip so Tika wasnt too thrilled with that. She did get up and she was stuck to me like Glue which is a different sign. She's a really friendly mare but hasnt been practically on top of me these last few weeks. Well last night she was. If i'd move an inch back she'd move forward an inch so she was touching me. It was cute like she wanted some comforting. Her skin was a tad cold to the touch so didnt really think she was going to foal at that moment but kept thinking maybe by morning. Soz that thought led to not wanting to fall back to sleep i know i was still awake at 6am. Must of fallen to sleep for a bit. Still woke up at 8. WEll awake but still feel like i havent slept in a day or two. Gonna be another rough day at work. Might need to splurge on some 5 hour energy shots.

Her bag is the same. Vet said that we can give her some oxytocin if she doesnt get any milk. I'd be more at ease if she had some milk so i could run the test strips and say probably not tonight. Been a few years since i had a maiden. Those experienced marees are worth their weight in gold. Normally only have 1 or 2 foal watching nights with them. Thinks to the testing strips and the other signs they have. But with a maiden they can go at any time and have a higher chance of problems due to being tight. So nerve racking.. This is kinda how i feel lol
default_deadhorse2.gif
Wake up and have that baby already!! lol

This will be my first foal of the year. Lucky for me the rest are all experienced mares so everything should go smoothly the rest of the year.
default_smile.png
I know not guarenteed. I'm rambling sorry think the coffee is kicking in.
default_xreiter.gif

Latest posts

Back