Market For Miniatures??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minishowgirl

Reaction score
I was looking to get a two or three year old mini with little or no training to train over the winter and sell. Over the winter id work with it get it doing showmanship, obstacle, jumping, and starting driving. When show season came around id take it to a couple shows and offer it for sale. My question is is the market for miniatures good enough for this?? Am I going to have trouble selling a mini with good training and show experience if it doesnt have good breeding?? I want to train horses for a living and want to start with minis. I have trained my gelding who has done very good in shows as a five year old. I have also been training my yearling and she is doing great and already has show experience.

There are far too many variables for me to speculate. Generally... A trained mini won't sell for much more than a trained one... A national show record will help but it's expensive to do so and that is why.

Don't expect to sell quickly or for any more than you bought the horse. Just do it for fun. And then if you happen to find a buyer willing to pay, consider yourself lucky.

I would expect to make a little more because I would pay more for a trained mini than an untrained mini but thats just me. Is there more of a market for mares, geldings, or stallions??

As Disney horse stated the market is varied for mini's. It's a whole different market then with big horses, yes with a big horse, you purchas a foal with a great pedigree, train it, show it, earn points, then sell high. With minis you don't have that kind of time. Sometimes, yes people will buy a trained one for more then a not trained one, but training takes time, and seems to me buyers want a young horse from well papered parents, maybe shown a little, earned some points and they can continue to show, or they want a foal from a stallion that has been shown, earned lots of points, and a great mare as well. Then they want to breed! I hate it, but that's the way I see it. They seem to want a horse that has started their show carrier early on, in halter, then if trained to drive has won it all. Then they don't want to pay what you ask. It also depends on what area of the country you are in, what the horse is registered in, the more the better. It's a shame I know, and some on here will say something like a well bred horse still sells, well not always. Right now it is abuyers market, even some of the best breeders in the country right now have reduced their prices, and are still not selling. Do your research, check out the auctions on line and in your area, check out the pedigrees, show records, etc. Good luck, now all you guys can flame away! Got my suit on!

Some foals or young horses with no training can bring in a lot more money vs one thats trained but perhaps won't make it as a show horse. I think if you get one to sell later on down the road you have to find something that is of excellent caliber that would want to show that horse. I think mares and stallions bring in more money then geldings but your fantastic all-around performance gelding that can win that are for sale are few and far between but still may not bring in that much money.

IMO if you do this buy something that you want and that you want to keep and show. You can always decide to sell that horse down the road but if you want to get the price you want it may be a while before you can sell that horse. You just don't want to keep reducing your price down if he doesn't sell because you have to make room for other better horses.

I really dont go for good breeding. I have a backyard bred mini gelding who does amazing in the ring. I lucked out with him. I dont really want to make a fortune off of it. Around here untrained horses can go anywhere from $100 to $700. If I bought a hundred dollar mini that was registered then trained it well I would expect maybe $400 depending how much is done. I think a big problem for me is that my age is a turn off for buyers. Im 13 so they dont take it seriously when I say its a well trained mini. Thank you everyone and I really want to try working with a stallion..

Since you are a youth, you are the future of our industry, and I don't want to discourage you, but help you, and in doing so I will add this. Pleas consider your expenses, such as the cost of the horse, vaccinations, farrier, worming, your supplies, and time. Pleas don"t forget your time is worth something! Is there a mini trainer in your area that will take you under their wing? If so volunteer to clean stall, do water, whatever, so you can learn from them, showing is also an expense that takes thousands of dollars unless you just show at the local level. An experienced trainer will gladly help you learn and even let you show for them if possable. I know my trainer asked me several time if a youth could show my horse, and I always said yes, as it was more points and experience for my horse, and I was helping a new person. You don't say what area you are in, but if you are in my area, I'll be glad to mentor you, or advise you where to look! Good luck with your venture and your goals!

Thank you. We do not have big mini show people yet around here. But I will say that I do know how to train a mini. Not trying to be rude or cocky or a know it all. But I have trained an unhandled two year old gelding and a yearling filly to be all around show minis. I do have someone to answer my questions if I need help though. I only buy a horse that has all its vaccinations and we only have to get coggins every 2 years. I am saving for the expenses though before I get one. I hope that didnt sound rude and snotty. If it did im sorry.

Sorry IMO trying for $300 just isn't much or worth it to do something like that. I bought a untrained mare for $400, AMHR Registered, out of a Reserve National Grand Champion sire with great breeding behind her, and she is show quality. I trained her up and she can now drive. If I thought about selling her from $400 I would try and get $3000 for her. If she doesn't sell thats fine I can just show her but not going to haggle on her price.

An extra $300 IMO is a months worth of training fees. You got to look at how much feed you would be putting into that horse, any necessary vaccinations, deworming, it all ads up. I would make it worth my while and buy yourself a nice registered mini and train him/her up and show her and try to get a good $ on them. I know people buy, train, show and sell horses all the time but they enjoy doing it but they get good amount of money off those horses because they have done so well in the show ring. I agree the mini world is the complete opposite compared to the big horse world.

What you are describing is trained horses I see on craigslist all the time that still have problems selling. Everyone wants something for free these days. Not trying to discourage you but I would look at your vision a little differently, I think you have a good goal, but don't sell yourself short. Perhaps start advertising your training services. You would get more money doing that and plus you get more knowledge and experience.

Ill try to find something. Around here if you wait a great deal will come along. My cousin bought a Buckaroo mini from a lady who didnt know much about minis. He sat in the pasture for a few years then she sold him for a hundred dollars sound and healthy with basic training.

I think at this time its a bad idea. I think you will be wasting your time and money and it will not pay off. You're basic idea is a good one of course and how many get started getting their name out there but honestly, right now, you will loose your shirt. There are far too many good quality registered horses out there going for a song and some being given away for free. I would not encourage you to do this until the market improves, IF the market improves. Meanwhile, consider buying for yourself and for the experience. Heaven knows there are plenty to choose from needing a home. Best wishes.

In this area there is a lot of interest in minis that can drive, the 4H market is growing and with the expense associated with maintaining full size horses it seems folks that never would have before are now interested in minis. Pinto shows are also popular and have opened another market for minis. I think training definately adds value esp in the family mini market.

If you are going to do it for the fun and experience of training horses, go for it. If you are doing it to make money, I would hesitate. I would make sure, however, to make sure the horse you buy is healthy, has all it's vaccinations, Coggins, etc. I wouldn't settle for an unregistered horse, you have way more options if you have papers IN HAND. Don't buy on application, you can get burnt. If you have to pay a bit more for papers, so be it.

I've seen GOOD registered Minis and Shetlands down here go for under $500. It costs just as much to feed a bad horse as a good one. Plus, typically badly conformed horses do have more health problems. Chronic lameness, bad teeth that need constant care, etc...

In my area people arent looking for world show minis. More of a mini that there kids can do good with. Im not in it for the money just want to try it and learn something new. I see unregistered minis go for $800 easy. It all depends on how much training you do and how child proof the horse is. Thank you for the input everyone its greatly appreciated and im in no rush to get my little project.
default_smile.png

Where are you located? I might be able to help you out if you are close enough. I'm in PA.

Im in NY. I might go to an auction down in PA and see what I can find for a nice registered stud colt.

Im in NY. I might go to an auction down in PA and see what I can find for a nice registered stud colt.
Try Craigslist, too. That way, too, you can REALLY get a good look at it, instead of a quick one before it goes in the ring. There are so many down here it's sad.

There arent too many down here. Ive had luck with the one horse I bought from an auction. My yearling filly she has nice confo. plus shes super smart and a great driving prospect and after that breeding. I love her. But I will check craigslist.

I think there would be a market for nice driving minis in this depressed market. Hard to find nice pet quality driving minis. For me personally I wouldn't care if the mini was show quality, or too tall, short legs, not registered, as long as it was a safe well broke driving mini. There are folks out there like me that aren't interested in showing, but are interested in a nice safe already trained driving mini. Worth their weight in gold IMHO. Just like that super cool bomb proof kids pony that sells for a decent price, people will pay for trained safe socialized equine. For those that have sat in the pasture since birth and not been handled enough and are spoiled and hard to handle, I don't care how pretty they are, I just wouldn't be interested. Don't fry me... just my opinion but I do think there are nitches in the flooded market to explore and training could be one of them.

I think there would be a market for nice driving minis in this depressed market. Hard to find nice pet quality driving minis. For me personally I wouldn't care if the mini was show quality, or too tall, short legs, not registered, as long as it was a safe well broke driving mini. There are folks out there like me that aren't interested in showing, but are interested in a nice safe already trained driving mini. Worth their weight in godd IMHO. Just like that super cool bomb proof kids pony that sells for a decent price, people will pay for trained safe socialized equine. For those that have sat in the pasture since birth and not been handled enough and are spoiled and hard to handle, I don't care how pretty they are, I just wouldn't be interested. Don't fry me... just my opinion but I do think there are nitches in the flooded market to explore and training could be one of them.
We have been trying to sell our pet driving gelding for quite some time, and in this area, not much seems to be moving.

Latest posts

Back