Mares Pregnant???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellas Babies

Reaction score
We got 2 new mares about this time last year and have had them with our Stallion ever since. No signs of pregnancy, however we haven't whitnessed any signs of heat since the first right after they were put together. Are there any signs or things we can look for that they might be pregnant? Thank You!!

How old is your stallion? How old are the mares? Have the mares had foals in the past?

If they've been with your stallion all this time, chances are good that they are pregnant. Check their udders for growth, look at them from the side and rear for increase in belly size.

Regardless, you won't be able to determine their approximate due date, which IMO is often a drawback in pasture breeding. That's one of the hardest things - you don't know when they're due and really have to watch them like a hawk for foaling signs. It's imperative that you're there when they foal - so many things can go wrong with these little ones.

Check out the foaling threads on the Marestarer/Barn Cam Watchers forum for a lot of helpful information. And it's never a bad idea to have a vet check them over - you still may not know their due dates, but he or she can help ensure that they're in good shape and prepared for foaling.

Best wishes for safe deliveries and healthy foals!

Last edited by a moderator:
My mares too are with a stallion. I have even seen one of the mares go into a crazy heat where she would not leave the stallion alone. My mares are not pregnant. 2 of the 3 mares have had foals. But not since they have been living as a family herd. They are all affected when one of them is removed. They are all very bonded. However, no babies here.

Thanks for the encouragement! The Stallion is almost 4, mares are 5 and 9. One has foaled (the 9 yr old). I think the 5 year old might be- she has a large belly (from the front and back- very noticable), and is usually over- firendly, but has been more stand off ish lately:( Which is breaking my heart.... So frustrating not knowing
default_no.gif

How old is your stallion? How old are the mares? Have the mares had foals in the past?

If they've been with your stallion all this time, chances are good that they are pregnant. Check their udders for growth, look at them from the side and rear for increase in belly size.

Regardless, you won't be able to determine their approximate due date, which IMO is often a drawback in pasture breeding. That's one of the hardest things - you don't know when they're due and really have to watch them like a hawk for foaling signs. It's imperative that you're there when they foal - so many things can go wrong with these little ones.

Check out the foaling threads on the Marestarer/Barn Cam Watchers forum for a lot of helpful information. And it's never a bad idea to have a vet check them over - you still may not know their due dates, but he or she can help ensure that they're in good shape and prepared for foaling.

Best wishes for safe deliveries and healthy foals!

hoping you girls are in foal for you!!! yeah maybe test them? keep us updated... can you show us any pics? would love to see them :D

hoping you girls are in foal for you!!! yeah maybe test them? keep us updated... can you show us any pics? would love to see them :D
Here are pictures I took today- Front vies and side view?? What do you think? My husband swears he felt something move as he felt her belly????

Lady front 1-31-12 a.jpg

lady front 1-31-12.jpg

lady side 1-31-12.jpg

This mare looks as though she could be in foal. Is this the younger mare? If so, are you sure about her age as she looks a bit immature in the pictures. How tall is she and how big is your stallion and is he a refined type or more substantial in build?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help those here when giving advice. Pictures would also help.
default_yes.gif

You need to check on your mares udders - any SLIGHT filling will give you an idea that they are approximately 4 weeks away from foaling, depending upon your feeding programme. They will need a good quality mare and foal feed during those last weeks and after foaling, plus it is a good idea to give a wormer a month (4 weeks) before foaling, plus have a word with your vet about bringing their immunisation injections up to date at this time. But do keep checking those udders so you can make arrangements for your girls to be on a 24 hour watch as they get closer to the event - it is really vital that you do your very best to be with them as they foal!
default_yes.gif

Some vets will ultrasound to check. Problem here is there are no local ones that will. I have used a vet 2 hours away that will but never would I make a trip specifically for just that. I have only done it when I was taking an animal there anyway. Mine charges $40. It is neat to "see" the results, whether positive or negative. Thing is that either they or not. Have you heard about the "nail test" that a lot of us perform? It costs you nothing, you are guaranteed nothing, it is FUN and seems to for whatever reason be fairly accurate.

Your mare does look pregnant but then my little mare Serenade has a pregnant look 365 days a year.
default_biggrin.png

This mare looks as though she could be in foal. Is this the younger mare? If so, are you sure about her age as she looks a bit immature in the pictures. How tall is she and how big is your stallion and is he a refined type or more substantial in build?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help those here when giving advice. Pictures would also help.
default_yes.gif

You need to check on your mares udders - any SLIGHT filling will give you an idea that they are approximately 4 weeks away from foaling, depending upon your feeding programme. They will need a good quality mare and foal feed during those last weeks and after foaling, plus it is a good idea to give a wormer a month (4 weeks) before foaling, plus have a word with your vet about bringing their immunisation injections up to date at this time. But do keep checking those udders so you can make arrangements for your girls to be on a 24 hour watch as they get closer to the event - it is really vital that you do your very best to be with them as they foal!
default_yes.gif

She will be 5 this year and is 34" The Stallion is Sandhills Farm Snickerdoodle 4 yrs old (son of Sandhills Farm Wardance) and he is 28". She has no filling in the udders. Thanks for all of the feedback and I hoe that this helps give a little more information
default_smile.png
LOVE all the input! Her shots are up to date and we worm every 2 months so hopefully we will be covered and ready in those aspects. She has never foaled before and I am very nervous. She is my first- first time mommy
default_wacko.png

Thanks for the extra info - in the last picture your girl doesn't look at all immature (camera pictures are so misleading at times!) and I like the little stallion - you should get some colour from this pairing.
default_yes.gif

As it is her first foaling, plus the fact that he is that much smaller and lighter than her, you shouldn't get a big foal - of course this doesn't always follow, but hopefully.....

Good news that your worming and immunisations are all up to date. You might like to think about giving your girls an Ivermectin worming dose within 12 hours of them foaling - some say that this helps prevent foal scours when the mare has her first season post foaling and I have to say that this seems to have worked for my foals.
default_yes.gif

It would be great if both your girls would hang on a bit before foaling to give them a chance to produce in the warmer Spring weather?? Do try the ring test - nothing guarenteed but it's fun to do!

Latest posts

Back