mares over 34"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denny10012

Reaction score
Can any of you out there that have the over 34" mares show me some pictures please...im looking at getting a mare of 35"/ 36" and wanted to see how these girls compare to the little ones...thanks in advance
default_biggrin.png

Now I know you are talking to me, my favorite size is 35" this picture is of River Rose Twinkling Sundown, out of Lucky Four Sugar Boys Sundown, and the mare is Stump Hollows Cinder, produce of dam winner, This mare is a Champion and I own four other 35" mares, but this picture was already on photobucket.
default_aktion033.gif

jmkphoto.jpg

Now I know you are talking to me, my favorite size is 35" this picture is of River Rose Twinkling Sundown, out of Lucky Four Sugar Boys Sundown, and the mare is Stump Hollows Cinder, produce of dam winner, This mare is a Champion and I own four other 35" mares, but this picture was already on photobucket.
default_aktion033.gif

jmkphoto.jpg
Shes wonderful
default_yes.gif
why do you prefer the 35" ...do you think in general they have better lengh of leg and neck and look more horse like...sorry all the questions but im trying to make my mind up about getting my girl or not.. because she will be AMHR reg not AMHA..

Interesting question.

Now, this is probably opening up quite a can of worms, but in my admittedly VERY limited experience, the smaller and more refined they are, if they are in keeping with good proportions (and I've seen some that blew my mind they were so balanced) they also seem to be a bit more high strung and flighty. Is that other people's experience? It's a question I've been dying to ask.

There are nice, under 34" mares that are very balanced... I don't have one, though. My little mare is, in my view, short legged and a bit coarse headed. I love her, though. My taller mare is not registered and is covered in winter fur but once I get her clipped, I suspect she'll be much more balanced.

I think the trick is breeding for that tiny balance and keeping the "in your pocket" attitude that so many of us love in minis.

Shes wonderful
default_yes.gif
why do you prefer the 35" ...do you think in general they have better lengh of leg and neck and look more horse like...sorry all the questions but im trying to make my mind up about getting my girl or not.. because she will be AMHR reg not AMHA..
There are many reasons I like the 35" mares or over, they look more like little horses, length of leg, more neck and this horse loves people more then other horses, she will chase the other horsess away from me, to get all the attention. But on the other hand, she can be a hand full in the show ring, but the judges like that. She excels in liberty and comes when called, she gives me the look of love, and likes me to lay my head on her head and just baby talk to her. I'll look for some pictures of one of my other minis that is 35" that is also a champion and post them when I get the time. If you are going to show AMHR you don't want the little ones with short legs, they won't place, been there done that. There is nothing wrong with the under 34" we have some that look great, but AMHR looks more for the taller, leggy girls.

Here is a couple of my over 34" mares:

FFF From the Heart Feel the Breeze--

feelthebreeze.gif

Alpha Farms Joyful Night --

joyfulnight.gif

Timber Hollow Stable

Visit the "new" Website at Timber Hollow Stable

All of my mares/horses but one are B size.
default_smile.png
I adore the big ones, to me, they offer more as a package. I like to drive and generally they are ideal for that. I love my A mare Joy, and wouldn't hesitate to getting the right A horse for me, but in general I find the the B horses more appealing. I also only show AMHR.

www.mssminis.webs.com

Interesting question.

Now, this is probably opening up quite a can of worms, but in my admittedly VERY limited experience, the smaller and more refined they are, if they are in keeping with good proportions (and I've seen some that blew my mind they were so balanced) they also seem to be a bit more high strung and flighty. Is that other people's experience? It's a question I've been dying to ask.

There are nice, under 34" mares that are very balanced... I don't have one, though. My little mare is, in my view, short legged and a bit coarse headed. I love her, though. My taller mare is not registered and is covered in winter fur but once I get her clipped, I suspect she'll be much more balanced.

I think the trick is breeding for that tiny balance and keeping the "in your pocket" attitude that so many of us love in minis.

i dont know about size making a difference, just wanted to say that i LOVE having those high strung spirited horses. i cant stand having a lazy horse that i have to practicly drag whenever i wanna take it for a walk. i have a 27" mare that can be as lazy as a slug, but when she feels like it she can really get up and go, same with my gelding!

i had one B sized mini. she was my rescue girl and turned out to be unshowable because her feet hadnt been properly cared for by the previous owner. here's a link to some pix of her: http://www.mollysrunminis.com/pictures-of-molly.html

she was around 32" at a yr old and was expected to mature around 36" if she was still alive. she's also pictured next to Misty, who was around 30" at the time.

My horses are in the 30"-34" range. I do like the 30" and over because they seem to have a bit more go in a cart. Not saying that the smaller ones can't be driven. It is just that I feel like I am being mean making them pull my Big Fat Bu%% all over the place. Since I carry a bit more weight I think my horse should have a bit more size.

I love my B sized mares! I only own 2 mares that are under 34"...one will be my A sized halter mare (just for fun) and the other is an A sized Shetland that I will breed to my B sized Shetland stallion next year for 34"-35" Shetland babies!
default_wub.png

I love the neck length, leg length, overall "horsey" look of the B sized horses. One thing I have found is many do not have pretty heads (maybe because of the upclose Shetland influence?)...just my observation in looking for pretty headed mares for my boy.

Baxters Silver Sensation 36"

baxterssilversensation-292x370.jpg

promiseheadneckjodi-355x278.jpg

Baxters Just Teasin Ya 36" Tease is on cam now expecting her first foal! Im so excited

teasefrenchbody-346x434-263x332.jpg

teaseneckfrench-330x258.jpg

I love the neck length, leg length, overall "horsey" look of the B sized horses. One thing I have found is many do not have pretty heads (maybe because of the upclose Shetland influence?)...just my observation in looking for pretty headed mares for my boy.
I have seen many Classic Shetlands with beautiful heads - ones I wish some of my own smaller minis have. Maybe some Shetlands with Modern pedigrees that have Hackney in them do not have nice dished heads. I like my minis around 34 to 35 inches, mainly for their driving ability. I have been to some shows with really deep arenas and the small minis just have a hard time pulling the carts through it.

I dont think either of mine posted above have ugly heads and both have Shetland papers.
default_smile.png
Both did very well showing in B miniature classes

Kay

Latest posts

Back