Mares or Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
Just wondering if money were no object but you could only chose one - which would you spend the money on - a stallion or a mare? Also would you care to share the reason?

Stallion. A stallion is half of the herd no matter how many horses you have.

I would rather buy myself that winning mare that I can show and later on choose the right stallion to breed her to in hopes of getting that perfect foal. Your stallion is only as good as its mares. Broodmares are the foundation of a successful breeding program.

Mare.

You can then breed her to top stallions and retain the daughters and hope for a top quality colt to retain.

Stallion, just can not resist a good moving stallion and prefer to drive stallions.

Mare as a stallion is nothing without excellent mares to breed him to.

Mare-there are so many amazing stallions out there that stand at stud. Buy the very best mare you can afford, show her, and then breed her to the best stallions you can. You can get a foal from some of the best stallions in the country for a lot less than just buying one and if one cross happens not to work, you can pick a different stallion the next year without having to sell your awesome mare or sell the stallion she was bred to.

MARE!

I already have a nice stallion, so Im always wanting more great mares that will cross with him!

A leopard mare! (buckskin, bay, or black) or a brendal named....

or a grulla or blue roan!
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a mare kind of person! There are many gorgeous stallions out there - almost, dare I say, too many
default_new_shocked.gif
. As an owner of a GOOD mare, you have choices to find the perfect stallion to cross her with, to give you the best chance of producing the best possible foal.

A good stallion in the right hands can do a world of good. They can change the breed. They are also only as good as the mares that complement them.

I don't think that "everyone" needs a stallion, but that is just my opinion. I'm proud to say that I do not own a stallion. I do buy weanlings and have used outside stallions, and have had great results that way.
default_wub.png

I like to leave the stallions to the professional breeders who have years of knowledge (just like a reputable dog breeder). There is a TON of HEARTBREAK that can easily be linked to breeding, so for that reason alone I personally have chosen not to breed as much as I could. I believe horses should be more then their genitals... LOL
default_laugh.png

Okay, I'm off my soap box! Some of the nicest horses were produced by small breeders, so I don't mean to sound against breeding. I think there should be great importance placed in select breeding when quality and purpose are priority.
default_aktion033.gif

I'd get the one that I think will show best since I'm not into breeding and if I got a stallion he'd be gelded right away.

A stallion, especially from a line prepptent for the right type... We put a lot of time into choosing nice mares and the stallions, too. At the end of the day, just one stallion can be 50% of your breeding program. Also , emotionally, H and I seem to become more attached to our boys... And that includes geldings.

Just wondering if money were no object but you could only chose one - which would you spend the money on - a stallion or a mare? Also would you care to share the reason?

I think it would come down to, what the plans were for the horse. If one were intending to breed, then probably mares are the best to purchase. No stallion, however good, is always the correct stallion for every mare in a herd. With a mare, one can always seek out the perfect stallion, who will compliment her. If one does breed a mare and comes up with a fabulous colt, then the breeder always has the option to run him on to see how he matures and maybe breed him to certain mares in the herd.

Some might just like the boys, so would opt for a stallion. He could be shown, his services offered if good enough, or even gelded later. If I could only have one horse, it would always be a stallion or gelding. I always prefer the boys in most species.

Lizzie

That's hard to answer if both halves of the equation would not be quality. I feel like it's not about just "using" the best you have, but the right horses period... Both sides are really important. I guess I'd say if I could only buy nice mares or nice stallions and money were no object -- I'd buy more nice mares than I needed and sell some to by a really nice stallion
default_biggrin.png

(And again, for at least the stallion, I would look for breeding that's heavy in the lines known to be prepotent for type.)

For breeding, a mare for sure. You can find all the semen you want for a small fee, but you can only have one mare.

Personally, for pets, stallion. I prefer their attitude and personality over mares.

If one has an eye to breeding, here is a copy of something I wrote on our Gypsy Horse forum, some time ago.

I've been doing a bit of thinking and research again, on breeding, pedigree knowledge, inheritance etc. We have discussed here in the past, how incredibly important good mares are to a breeding programme, but I'm carrying this a little bit further here.

For generations, breeders of all kinds of animals, have often relied upon the knowledge of the male, when considering breeding. ie. His quality, get, pedigree etc. Many in the past, bred mares of poor or iffy quality, to superior stallions, with the thought that he was bound to produce always, quality offspring. Modern thinking and knowledge however, has told us that the mare used, is just as important as the sire. In some ways, even much more important.

Genetisists tell us that the fact is, that certain qualities inherited from DNA on the x-chromosome can ONLY be inherited from a mare. So down the line, the maternal granddam, grandsire and their quality, cannot and should not, be ignored.

We all know, that very horse has 2 chromosomes that determine gender.

A mare has two X-chromosomes, therefore a female.

A stallion (XY) has one X-chromosome and one Y-chromosome, therefore a male. When a foal is conceived, if the Y-chromosome fertilizes the egg, the foal will be male (XY) because it will then have an "X" from the dam and a "Y" from the sire.

If the sperm fertilizing the egg carries the stallion's X-chromosome, the resulting foal will be female - XX.

A mare, contributes one of her two X-chromosomes to her foals, both male and female but when a stallion gives an "X" to his daughters, it is the X-chromosome he inherited from his own dam.

His sons NEVER receive his X-chromosome, because he has given them (obviously) his Y-chromosome instead. However, his sons DO receive an X-chromosome - one of the X-chromosomes contributed by their dam.

And this gets even more interesting. One of those would have been inherited via the dam's dam, and the other came down the "X-trail" from her sire's dam.

Geneticists have determined that certain genetic material is carried on the X-chromosome, including that for the large heart, and intelligence. Most probably, there are many other genes passed down on the X-chromosome, many of which we probably don't even know about at the moment.

So now, understanding that certain superior qualities can ONLY be inherited from a mare, her expressed qualities and that of the maternal granddam and grandsire suddenly become incredibly import.

Lizzie

From a sensible breeding prospect I'll always go with the mare.

But from a personal perspective I'll go with the stallion every time. I love working with them, I love their stubborn, arrogant, bullheaded attitudes and yet often sweet personalities. My stallions have me well and truely converted to the dark side
default_new_rofl.gif

I'm going to be the outcast and say........

Neither.

Geldings are where its at.
default_wink.png

EDIT: But if I *absolutley* had to, I would buy a stallion. A well trained stallion can be your best horse.....and gelding in the long run.
default_wink.png

Our stallion we had was our BEST.freaking.horse. He was so willing and easy to handle. Had he have been gelded he would have gone far.

Thanks one and all. It's been interesting reading your responses. I'm learning so much from all of you!!!

Latest posts

Back