mares not getting in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Nathan I misunderstood that part from my vet

I have read on here about people putting their mares on Regumate

during late term pregnancy to avoid abortions and it confused me

that my vet told me not to touch the preg mares after using without washing hands real good

I must have totally misunderstood that part

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I switch words all the time when I'm talking in a rush
default_smile.png
She might have been meaning people instead of mares. It is VERY, VERY important to avoid Regumate at all costs if you yourself are pregnant (or trying to be). It will really throw the human repro system out of wack. Some women are more sensitive than others. Some can handle it as carelessly as most guys do, and some can't be close enough to the drug to smell it. Everyone is different!

I have read the topic quickly so I am not sure if you have stated whether the mares are in good shape or overweight?

If they have had foals before and are now overweight they would likely have difficulty conceiving.

I am not too big on the artificial ways of tricking Mother Nature.

Update on the mares. I had the vet up and She ultersounded the mares.And found all fine inside . She did a swab on and flushed them in case. On both. Got the results.They got a clean bill of health. They found nothing. So now I am confused. What does anyone suggest I do next?

I see in your avatar you have "winter 11 months of the year". Perhaps your mares aren't ovulating, they are just cycling?

Nathan.................

Now........since your mares have no obvious fertility problems.......(whew!) And you are pretty sure of your stallion.....right?

Have you been trying to hand breed ONLY? Do your mares LIKE your stallion -- and visa versa??? (Believe it or not, this does make a difference.)

If your mares and your stallion seem to get along.......and you haven't tried pasture breeding, I would give it a try. Sometimes just letting them do their thing helps.

We have had two interesting situations over the years.......One was a mare who had a preference over which stallion she wanted to be bred to.........(and it looks like we have another similar drama this year!)

The other was a mare who came to us very high strung and nervous, with ulcer problems (which I feel was related.) The owners had tried to get her pregnant for 3 years without success.......She came to us and we weaned her off her drugs and just let her be a horse. It took another 3 years before she "chose" her stallion (we offered her two of them.) and she finally settled with the second fellow. The big difference I think was we let her do it naturally. And with her being a nervous personality at first, the pasture breeding helped. Interestingly, she is no longer high strung, but actually a pocket pet for US.

I know this sounds a little weird, but if you can watch your girls and try looking at things from their perspective.....(think like a horse?)........It may help a bit.

Now........since your mares have no obvious fertility problems.......(whew!) And you are pretty sure of your stallion.....right?

Have you been trying to hand breed ONLY? Do your mares LIKE your stallion -- and visa versa??? (Believe it or not, this does make a difference.)

If your mares and your stallion seem to get along.......and you haven't tried pasture breeding, I would give it a try. Sometimes just letting them do their thing helps.

We have had two interesting situations over the years.......One was a mare who had a preference over which stallion she wanted to be bred to.........(and it looks like we have another similar drama this year!)

The other was a mare who came to us very high strung and nervous, with ulcer problems (which I feel was related.) The owners had tried to get her pregnant for 3 years without success.......She came to us and we weaned her off her drugs and just let her be a horse. It took another 3 years before she "chose" her stallion (we offered her two of them.) and she finally settled with the second fellow. The big difference I think was we let her do it naturally. And with her being a nervous personality at first, the pasture breeding helped. Interestingly, she is no longer high strung, but actually a pocket pet for US.

I know this sounds a little weird, but if you can watch your girls and try looking at things from their perspective.....(think like a horse?)........It may help a bit.
I do know my Stallion is very furtile.I hand and pasture breed with him.chuppy has given miracle baby before. On a mare that has not produced in 6 yrs also.And both mares love this guy.And follow him all over when in heat. She is simialor to your nervous mare you had.I let her just pasture with him and she gave birth the next yr and has for the last 4 yrs. I haven`t had them too many yrs. And the prevouse owners only hand breed.

I see in your avatar you have "winter 11 months of the year". Perhaps your mares aren't ovulating, they are just cycling?

Nathan.................

That is just a saying.
default_rolleyes.gif
I have raised alote of foals being up here.

O.K. I don't know if I will be any help here if anyone read my post from a couple days ago. My 14 yr old mare suddenly foaled after having nothing for several years. She had been hand bred and then turned out to pasture for a couple summers with the stallion and nothing, then out of the blue she had a perfect (in my eyes) filly.

Anyway, years ago we had a mare that had foaled several times for us and then suddenly could not get her bred. We also tried flushing, antibiotics, ultra-sounds, etc.. and nothing was wrong. The vet then tested her thyroid and determined that was the problem. We gave her a powder medicine (can't remember the name) in her feed once a day and bingo she was bred, stuck and had a baby. This was something we had to give her 365 days a year but after a couple years started backing off the medicine and she was fine. Don't know if her thyroid just needed a jump start or what but it worked.

Good luck!!

Kelly

O.K. I don't know if I will be any help here if anyone read my post from a couple days ago. My 14 yr old mare suddenly foaled after having nothing for several years. She had been hand bred and then turned out to pasture for a couple summers with the stallion and nothing, then out of the blue she had a perfect (in my eyes) filly.

Anyway, years ago we had a mare that had foaled several times for us and then suddenly could not get her bred. We also tried flushing, antibiotics, ultra-sounds, etc.. and nothing was wrong. The vet then tested her thyroid and determined that was the problem. We gave her a powder medicine (can't remember the name) in her feed once a day and bingo she was bred, stuck and had a baby. This was something we had to give her 365 days a year but after a couple years started backing off the medicine and she was fine. Don't know if her thyroid just needed a jump start or what but it worked.

Good luck!!

Kelly
Kelly I asked the vet about thyroid. And she didn`t say much and felt that was not the problem on themIs there something I can give them.?

Well, I will tell you that I just paid top dollar and purchased a 'chubby' mare who was advertised as bred for a 2008 foal. Not only is she not pregnant, but never has been and wont be- she has a huge thyroid imbalance. Without lifelong meds and blood work to monitor it, she will never have a chance of settling, and even that is no guarantee. I tried breeding her to my stallion this year when she came in season shortly after she arrived and when she didnt settle then either, had her tested. (the seller has told me she would send a refund and take her back, however now she is changing her story again)

I would have your mares tested for that....

Latest posts

Back