mares bagging up?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D W 2

Reaction score
just wondering how many peoples mares foal before they are bagged up? is it common? what would you use instead to tell that they are ready?

just wondering how many peoples mares foal before they are bagged up? is it common? what would you use instead to tell that they are ready?
Yes, find it very common.. Have had many mares foal with out bagging up till after giving birth.
default_wacko.png

They just never read the book on foaling, the other sign is the dropping and V shape.

Restlessness, with these sneaky mares or maiden need a camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been breeding miniature horses since 1989, 5 - 10 foals per year, and I've never had a mare foal that didn't have an udder. Unless I had one abort, all have had udder development before foaling. I've had an occasional one didn't develop as much udder as I expected, but they did have udder development.

I would really like to see pictures of those mares and their udders that aren't bagged up before foaling as I've never seen that happen.

Sorry Becky do not have any photos but my Dicetta last year no udder at all, looked like a maiden mare, and we had to give her Oxytocin to bring in her milk.

I have only had 7 foals so I am not very experienced but all my mares have bagged up from as much as a month before. Which is why I am getting a cam, no more months wasted sleeping in the barn. yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I just got a cam as well. Now to figure it all out
default_smile.png
good luck. I hope to be having 4 babies.

I've been breeding miniature horses since 1989, 5 - 10 foals per year, and I've never had a mare foal that didn't have an udder. Unless I had one abort, all have had udder development before foaling. I've had an occasional one didn't develop as much udder as I expected, but they did have udder development.

I would really like to see pictures of those mares and their udders that aren't bagged up before foaling as I've never seen that happen.
I'm with Becky. None of my mares have ever foaled without having an udder. And I don't take chances. If they're within 10 days of their 320-date and don't have at least the 'start' of an udder, I don't take any chances. I start them on Domperidone (Equidone). I'm using it on one of my mares now who will be 320 days on Sat. I used it on her last year, and she foaled at 321 days.

Pam

I'm with Becky. None of my mares have ever foaled without having an udder. And I don't take chances. If they're within 10 days of their 320-date and don't have at least the 'start' of an udder, I don't take any chances. I start them on Domperidone (Equidone). I'm using it on one of my mares now who will be 320 days on Sat. I used it on her last year, and she foaled at 321 days.

Pam
Have never heard of this, but that is why you have no problem with Mares bagging up..
default_biggrin.png

Will have to look into this. thanks for the info..

For photo examples of the other signs visit my website, look for behaviour changes too, I know my current preggy mare is 320 days and her normal pattern is to lay down between 8:20-8:40pm every night, if she would lay down earlier, or not lay down during that time I would be very suspicious!

I have a mare who is not due till August and she started bagging a little over a week ago. Shes totally normal acting so should I be worried???

Also because shes in with other mares who are due sooner then her, is her body just acting like shes closer to foaling then normal because the other mares are?

THANKS!

MindyLee

I would be concerned - that is not normal for most mares. In my experience when a mare starts bagging prematurely (as in before 280) there is likely a cause - usually placentitis and the about the only way to "help" is to start SMZ, Regumate & Banamine therapy. You don't need much Banamine and for not very long, but She might need to be SMZ & Regumate until she foals

You can do a search on this forum under early bagging and get several posts about it - it comes up every year

Stacy

Pam

What is that if you dont mind me asking and how/when would you know when to use it. I have 2 mares that I have no clue as to when they were bred as they were in the pature with the stud until Oct I believe she said.

What is that if you dont mind me asking and how/when would you know when to use it. I have 2 mares that I have no clue as to when they were bred as they were in the pature with the stud until Oct I believe she said.
You have to get the Equidone from a vet. For mini's I give my mares 1.5 cc by mouth each day. This comes in a tube (paste form). It's a wonderful product that will help a mare get milk. If one of my mares is at 310 to 315 days and doesn't have the start of an udder, then I start them on Equidone. Most of my mares bag up on their own, but I have a couple who don't. Our area has a lot of fescue grass, and this product has saved many foals in our area. Please note that I bring my mares off of the pastures at least 60 days before foaling.

Since you have no idea when your mares would be due to foal, it might be a good idea to have them checked by a vet to see if he/she can give you an idea about how far along they are.

Pam

MindyLee

I would be concerned - that is not normal for most mares. In my experience when a mare starts bagging prematurely (as in before 280) there is likely a cause - usually placentitis and the about the only way to "help" is to start SMZ, Regumate & Banamine therapy. You don't need much Banamine and for not very long, but She might need to be SMZ & Regumate until she foals

You can do a search on this forum under early bagging and get several posts about it - it comes up every year

Stacy

Thank you for your response. I will get a hold of my vet 1st thing tomarrow morning. I have heard of bad things when a mare bags early so I have been watching her like a hawk. Its not a big bag but Im still wanting to be cautious.

As per the orginal question Yes sort of. I had a sorrel mare that was just slightly bagged go into first stage labor, but by the time the second stage started she had some milk. The Vet gave me a paste to give her to bring in more milk. Also I have a black overo LWO positive mare that gets a small tight bag every time nipples pointing in but I know she is near her time because her bag gets very firm and tight. No problem with foal nursing.

Mares can also get puffy udders when they start grazing grass especially spring grass. Not sure where you live but a lot of my friends in warmer climates already have green grass

Back