Mares and udders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
This is kind of taking off on my other post regarding my mare and new foal. But I wanted to find out more from others who have experienced this.

What do you do if your mare has no or very little udder at foaling? The foal needs adequate colostrum ideally before it's 8 hours of age as the intestinal lining starts to close down and it's ability to absorb the large molecules of colostrum diminish after that. I've seen others say that their mares don't bag up until after they foal. What is the time frame on that? Do the foals get colostrum within the 8 hour time frame? What do you do to feed the foal while waiting for the mares' udder to fill?

Good Morning Becky,

This will be a good topic. This year I have three mares due in Februrary and NONE have even started a bag yet. I do not have colustrum left from last year either, so will need to hunt some just in case. What I would do with my mares - foals is feed them their first colustrum myself if they did not nurse within a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck with your answers, I will enjoy reading the answers from others.

Beth

Over the years I have owned 2 mares that do not bag until they foal. But its pretty immediate. As soon as the foal comes out theres the bag. My neighbor that runs the foaling farm says many mares do this and just looking and hearing the foal makes the colostrum come in immediately. I still own one of these mares and she has the tiniest udder and nipples. And shes a shetland pony! But her foals do fine.

I'll be anxious to follow this too. and I would like to add one more question.........What do you do when you can't get a foal to take anything you put in it's mouth? I've had the vet come out and tube colostrum into the foal before, but you have to HAVE colostrum for that to be an option.

Charlotte

The only one I had last year never really had an udder. Used calf manna milk replacer from day 2. There was a little there but I could tell the baby wasn't getting enough. From day 2 until day 12 I also added Kayro Syrup, one teaspoon per bottle, she did suck. At a month old I added foal pellets, with some syrup until she adjusted. Not only did it help the baby, it helped the mare as she didn't have to deal with this baby that wanted to nurse 24/7 as she wasn't getting enough. I tried everything with the mare, including lots of spring grass, shots and a whole bunch of vet visits.

Good luck, and if there was a good thing to all of this, weaning was a piece of cake!

This doesn't happen often but, sure makes you see the reason to collect colostrum from the mares who milk out like a cow! When I was actively breeding/foaling every year, this was protical for me:

Let foal nurse first 4 hrs, then collect & freeze. I would lable mare name, day 1, day 2, day 3, etc. and kept a supply for own needs and sharing. Fortunately never had a mare without enough but did need to share. Also had goats, & mini donks, same deal. Had freezer full in barn
default_wub.png
Fed several orphaned deer (via a licensed rehab guy) and a very desperate guy with 5 newly orphaned kid goats I happened on at a feed store, where he was frantically looking for "something".

I've had a couple mares - maidens - who didn't "seem" to have much bag but, foals were fine and the milk came. Either she was just smaller but adequate or I expected the usual bagging....watched those foals close but, all ok without help.

Had one year with fescue horror but, domperidone solved the milk portion....did supplement a couple foals that year, as a precaution and to set my own mind at ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm really needing to know is how you manage a foal who's dam's udder is so small at birth the foal can't find it?

As far as feeding the foal, what do you do if the foal refuses colostrum orally? I had frozen colostrum on hand when my mare foaled the other night. I thawed it and attempted to feed it to the foal several times throughout the night. The foal refused to take any with me trying to syringe some down her. If I got any in her mouth, she would just let it run out. She had a very strong suck reflex and spent all night trying to find the udder on the mare but couldn't.

While at the vets, he tried to get her to drink out of a bowl and she wouldn't do that either.

So, even if the mare or you have colostrum on hand, what do you do to get it in the foal?

Becky we had two foals last year that I had to use a baby bottle. What I found after buying about 10 bottles and nipples was the old style generic bottle with old fashioned (not the new style!) worked best. Both foals latched right onto it. At first I would squeeze the bottle and kinda squirt it on their lips then when they started sucking I put the bottle in. I did use a hot needle and put extra holes in the nipple.

After the first 24 hrs we were afraid the foal would never nurse and we would be stuck with a bottle baby. We knew we had enough colosturm in him so the vet said to let the foal get really hungry and just leave him and his dam alone. I was so fearful it wouldnt work. Kyle and I went out about 230 am and snuck in the barn real quiet. Sure enough there he was nursing away. I think we let him go about 4 hrs and he found the nipple on his dam. Previously I was feeding him every hour then every 2 hrs. So to let him go 4 was so hard on me and Kyle.

Dang horses worry us to death

Kay, thank you for the information and that story. I was getting stressed just reading it even though I was sure it would have a good ending!

Charlotte

I always keep Seramune on hand during foaling season and when the foal is born before it nurses I give it about 1 1/2 ounces of Seramune with a 4 oz. baby bottle with an old fashioned latex nipple with an x cut in the hole of the nipple. Seems to perk the foals up immediately and they have enough vim and vigor to find the mare's nipple and latch on. This also keeps their strength up until the mare does let down her milk if she hasn't already. If foaling is imminent and the mare still has no bag I use Domperidone to produce milk. The important thing is that Domperidone produced milk may not be as rich in antibodies as normally produced colostrum and frequently mares will leak from domperidone induced milk so an IgG test is always in order on these foals.

Hi Everyone,

I mainly just browse but saw this post.

I thought I would let you know of a product I started using it is called FOAL RESPONSE it is a Paste immediate care Colostrum supplement.

It is readily available at most feed stores and is about $9 well worth the peace of mind espesially if you do not have access to regular mares colostrum.

I have used it with great success over the past 3 years and would not be without it. It is ideal for premature birth, or delayed birth. plus access to mare colostrum is limited or foal needs that extra while waiting for mares colostrum to come in. It can also be used for Orphan foals according to your vets wishes. I have been foaling out for over 30 years and try to keep Colostrum on hand but never had to use it that much and it goes to waste in the freezer after a while. Hope this helps. Britt G
default_smile.png

The important thing is that Domperidone produced milk may not be as rich in antibodies as normally produced colostrum and frequently mares will leak from domperidone induced milk so an IgG test is always in order on these foals.
Good to know - I have used domperidone, brings the milk in effectively but the mare then had such a huge bag that she did indeed leak, and the foal had a hard time nursing her down. Thanks for the information, something my vet has never mentioned.

Becky, I have a mare who has tiny nipples and usually foals with a small bag. Consequently the foal has a harder time finding it and latching on. As long as there is something to express, I don't wait on baby - I express colostrum after foal is on it's feet and get what I can into them, and yes it's tough to get it into these stubborn foals lol. Most frustrating thing in the world! If you are persistant though and don't ask for too much at a time you can usually get it down them.

This particular mare just had her third foal and she always has milk, it's just very hard for her foals at first.

Jan

Latest posts

Back