marebred?? disappointed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
Well the one mare that I "thought" might be pregnant I noticed was over by the stallion and peeing at him. Then backing up where some other mares are and letting them bite at her. I was so hoping she was bred but have my doubts now. What do you do if they were pature bred with a stallion from May til Aug of last year. Do you put them with a stallion and see if they will breed.... what if they are bred and he still breeds them that could kill the foal correct. Don't know what to do.

No, to be safe I would have her ultrasounded/examined by a vet for pregnancy.

While she probably isn't pregnant, breeding when pregnant can introduce infection into the reproductive tract.

There are some other ways to determine pregnancy, but I always use a vet to be sure. There is a way to determine late pregnancy by pressing firmly (pushing)on her side and quickly releasing and feeling the foal 'bounce back'. A little hard to describe in words.

No vet around here that will Ultra sound so thats out of the question. Any other thoughts. These girls don't look bred to me as compared to my girls that had thier foals. I heard the blood test isn't accurate how about pee test?

My vet has used the blood test on my mares lots of times and it has always been accurate for me. I think the only requirement is that the mare has to be at least 60 days in foal. Good luck!

I used the pee test once and it showed the mare wasn't pregnant ....and she wasn't.
default_biggrin.png

do the pee test work? The vet can do blood test but at $100.00 the least and then the visit ouch!

The blood test has been accurate for me, but it is expensive, plus the call out fee. I've never used the pee test but have read it is less expensive.

The blood test is only accurate in a certain time frame and I am positive if your mare IS bred then she would be past it. I'm not a blood test fan, but that's usually because the mares I am not sure are pregnant are pasture bred so doing the test in the certain time frame just hasn't worked.

I would do a weefoal-much more accurate!

If all else fails, document her heat cycle and see if she comes back in when she's supposed to. My pregnant mares that tease the stallions do so pretty much every day (but don't exhibit their normal cycle patterns-they usually just pee a little and walk off) where as if they're not bred they cycle normally and show all the signs and of course don't get any bigger.

I am new to all of this and know my other two girls since I had them when they were weaned but these girls I just got dont know a thing about them other then on paper. I might call the person who had them before that lady I bought them from. How can I find out if they are on this forum?

Latest posts

Back