Mare with Arthritis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joyce

Reaction score
I have an older mare with arthritis in her legs mostly. Hard to get her walking in the morning after laying down at night. Once she's out and about she seems better but her walking has sloed up alot. Just wondering if you have the same problem what you have been using and has it helped?

Thanks,

Joyce L

I had a lot of success with Corta-flx powder - you can get it at most on-line equine supply stores (I like KV Vet Supply). I also found that heating pads provided relief for my mare - of course I stayed with her while I used the pad, and also moved the pad frequently to prevent it from getting too hot in one area. I was also lucky and found someone who specialized in equine massage - she defintely loved her massage days!

Liz R.

A product called Re-Cre-8 which is carried by Bloodline Veterinary Supply in KY. It's glucosamine w/ chondroitin and works WONDERS.

Old Vegas was having trouble with his knees - didn't want to bend them when we were trimming his feet. And a couple years ago I put him on this stuff and we can trim his feet normally now, and he still struts his stuff pretty well.

And I use the stuff (people grade) for me and my beat up old knees. Couldn't walk without the stuff.

In the late 90' my ex-friend used Yucca powder and MSM for her Running QH mare who had arthritis- it worked pretty well, from what I saw, but I'd check with a vet and do research first...

I know they have suppliments like they do for people, of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosimine (sp). The human suppliments work wonders for my step-dad- and he's been roofing for 40+ years, so his arthritis is pretty bad! I even started taking them at a lesser dose, and they've helped me somewhat.

[SIZE=14pt]I have put GQ now on the Goji juice because it has helped me so much with the arthiritis from the blown out knee and my back surgery. I feel 8 thousand percent better and I think he is staying looser with that shoulder that he broke as well.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Joyce, we had a very old mare much like yours. We used a liquid called "Bute-less". Most tack and feed stores carry it. She loved it and it works wonders. If you're interested, PM me about some alternative things I can do for her.

Latest posts

Back