Mare trouble!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This summer, my mare, Babs, had a foal.
biggrin.gif
I was the first one to see it, and I was soo excited about having a foal to work with. However, Babs just didn't want to have any part in me, so it was difficult for me to get near the foal. She was really crabby when I, or anyone was around. She still is that way, but it's alot better than when she first had her foal. I try to not work her to hard and end things off on a good note all the time, but she just seems so crabby. I hung around the stall alot just for her to get used to me being around. But she just would pin her ears and sometimes, she would turn her butt to me. I know that she seems like the usual "protective" mare, but the unusual thing is that when I get hold of her halter, she is absolutely fine. I was wondering if their is anyhting else I can do to make her a little bit happier, because I love her, and I just want her to be happy.

Also, when I try to clip her, she completely freaks out. I am usually one who loves to clip, but when it comes to her, its kind of difficult because I do not like upsetting her. I try to take things slowly, but she just hates to be clipped. I was just wondering if there was any way to help calm her down.

I
wub.gif
my Babsy Doo

1. How old is Babs?

2. How old is the baby?

3. Is she stalled at times or just out with a shelter?

4. Has she foaled before? Maybe you can get a history from her previous owner?

5. What does she love? Treats? Scratches? Grain?

My Keesha took a bite to my head the first year she had a foal here. All I wanted to do was dip the cord.
new_shocked.gif
I called the lady I got her from and was told she had always been fine. Course she had been there a loong time and was happy there. Moving here was different and as far as Keesha was concerned I may feed her and clean her but I was a stranger to that baby and I should "stay away".

What I did was make myself small by sitting on a bucket near the door. I had a nice riding crop and when she would pin those ears and look mean at mean I would reach out and scratch her. She loves scratches and so I would just scratch. The baby would get curious and come see me and I could love on her. I kept this up for a few weeks and she finally gave me her seal of approval and we found a happy medium.

Was she like this before she had her foal? If she had these tendencies before the foal it is different than if she just developed them post baby. If it has been since the baby then working on the trust issue is a good idea. If she has always been a little attitudinal (sp) then she is taking advantage of you now that you are trying to be extra nice to her because of the baby. The stuff you are describing amost sounds like she has forgotten who the alpha mare is in your herd. That business about her being a complete hag until you catch her halter, and then being just fine, has me suspicious about her motives. If she were really afraid that you were a danger to her foal she would continue to act up even after she was caught. Perhaps if you were to re-assert your dominance over the mare it might help. Keep it as seperate from your foal training as you can, but firmly try to re-establish that you are the alpha mare and she better quit with the attitude.

As for the clipping thing...I would pick a day when you have lots of time, or set it up so you can work every day for 15 minutes for about 2 weeks, whichever fits your life style best. Get her caught and tied off and then turn the clippers on. Let her look and smell them as long as she needs to then touch her on the back. Don't actually clip her, just hold them there so it vibrates on her. Whatever she does, don't let her "buck" them off her back. When she finally settles down, move them to a new spot on her back and do it all again. Slowly but surely start moving them around her body until you have covered everything. Do the scary head and leg areas last. Whenever you find a spot she especially doesn't like, keep it there until she finally quits fighting it. This process can be done in an afternoon, if you have the time and the patience, or, you can break it up into smaller sessions over many weeks. The key is to never let her win. The more she hates a spot, the longer you leave it there until she just gets bored, or tired of fighting it. Eventually during this process she will get tired of fighting it, especially if nothing she does "bucks" the thing off. She will also realize that she really isn't being hurt, and fighting it is a lot of work! Then she will be desensitized to the clippers. Tell her sweet nothings, or anything you can while doing this to keep her calm, BUT DON'T LET HER WIN. It takes some dedication but it does work. Best wishes, Linda

When clipping a nervous horse & letting the clippers vibrate on them. I like to do the shoulder as the horse will eventually turn around and sniff them - nomally resulting in a snort and then submission. Once they trust me there i start to other areas where they can not see/sniff.

thank you for all the help! I plan to put all of these suggestions into ation and hopefully it will make up to a happier horse.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back