Mare swelling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny

Reaction score
My mare is due to foal very soon.... she is getting a pretty big bag and has softened around her tail head. The foal has seemed to drop also. So it should be anytime!

What I am needing advice about is the swelling under her belly.

My other mares didnt do this when they were about to foal. So I am just seeing if anyone else has experienced this before.

Right in front of her bag, and leading out under her belly, are two long,swollen areas that go to about the center of her belly.

I am hoping it is just she is overproducing colostrum and it has no where else to go. She is not leaking or waxed up, and I know not all do. I hope it is nothing to worry about.

Please settle my mind!
wacko.gif
Thanks!

I think this is completely normal for some mares especially older ones that have had previous pregnancies. At least it is for two of my older experienced mares.

amanda

In pregnant mares its usually called ventrical edema. Can be caused by the mare not moving around enough so be sure and dont over stall her. Some older mares get it just from having so many foals.

sending happy foaling thoughts!

Ok, so it doesnt sound like anything serious. I was just praying that wasnt a red flag for anything. She has just been stalled for three days, with some turn out time during the day of course. She is 9 yrs old.

The foal is kicking like crazy the last couple days, and she is very uncomfortable.

I sure hope she has it soon, I have been having sleepless nights trying to keep an eye on her this week. Ya'll know how that is......
wink.gif

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a search for "edema in mare" and found ventral edema.

Yep I do believe that's it! Nothing serious...they say it is just from the mare not moving around as much since they are uncomfortable. And that is what she has been doing, or should I say "not" doing.

I let her out daily, but she just stands and eats hay, doesnt care much for moving right now.

Guess I will make her walk some tomorrow, if she doesnt foal tonite.

So, back to the barn I go!
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back