Mare suddenly aggressive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse_apples

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for reading my question.

We have a six year old mare and her 18 year old mother, and they've lived with us for about 6 months. Baby (the six year old) is very playful and I was told it wouldn't be wise to encourage her to run and jump around us. We stopped any kind of encouragement towards this, although I do catch a glimpse of her through the window jumping and bucking by herself in the pasture. Her mom does play with her sometimes, but very seldom. In fact, the 18 year old is extremely mellow and only cares about #1 grain or treats closely followed by an ear scratch. Baby is very friendly with us and obviously she likes us because she nibbles and grooms us while she gets brushed and scratched. Well, we have noticed she comes into heat and when she is heat the best thing is to stay away from her while she is eating or she gets kicky and fidgety. Otherwise she's sweet to us. For the past week both horses have been acting very spookish and flighty, jumping at the least little sounds or quick movements - we've used chainsaws within six feet of them before and they never spooked. Baby has taken to laying her ears back and rolling her eyes, then charging at me, completely unprovoked and with no food anywhere nearby. I'm embarrassed to say but two days in a row she has made me scream and run for the fence
default_wink.png
She doesn't seem aggressive towards my husband at all and I can't think of anything I've done to scare or inadvertantly hurt her. Could being scared by her once and now I'm nervous around her make her want to tease me, if she senses I am scared? I SWEAR my Dad's Halflinger did this to me when we first got her. We wonder if something might be chasing them around a night? The neighbor has a pack of dogs that sort of roam the neighborhood willy nilly and free. Another point I should bring up is suddenly the young horse Baby hates our dogs and tries to stop them if they follow us into the pasture, when before she used to ignore them or give them a half a sniff at best.

What do you think? I've seen advertisments for Moody Mare (which is strange it is made with Vitex or Chaste Tree Berry, as I was taking the same herb recently for increased fertility.) and I certainly have a moody mare on my hands. I also thought it could be that she is sick of winter.

Also I was wondering if I got her a friend - maybe another mare her age - if that would help her work off some energy.

My first concern is what is your horse experience? Horses are herd animals and there is a definate pecking order. YOU need to be boss mare at all times. My first suggestion would be if you are confident enough when she lays her ears back and charges is to stand your ground. When you run and scream you are re-enforcing that Baby is alpha over you. And that is not acceptable. Second, you need to get a halter on this mare and teach her to respect your space. She needs to know whoa. She needs to stand, stand tied, allow you to handle her feet, mouth and ears.

Third, and I mean no offense - I'm just forming this statement by what you have posted here, minis are not dogs and should not be treated as such. They are 200-400lb low riding bulldozers who can knock you down or kick your knee caps out. Just like a dog, at no time is it acceptable for her to put her mouth on you for any reason. Even if you are scratching and she wants to return the favor. You can have a loving relationship with them and respect as well. But you must always be the one in charge.

At 6 years old this mare needs manners. I agree with txmini - she should not be grooming or nibbling on you at any time.

If you have the fortitude, when this mares charges at you, you should charge back screaming and waving your arms. A good swat on her side or butt if you can reach her can help enforce the pecking order, but ONLY if you can do it without missing! If you swing and miss it can become a game also.

Another option is to have a experienced horse person - not a horse BREAKER may need to step in and give you both lessons in how to interact.

I know these are little horses but please- they are horses. If you wouldn't try something or wouldn't tolerate an action from one that 15-16 hands tall, then don't do it with a mini either. I can tell you from experience that kicking them or attempting to hit when they kick out (like a mother horse would), may escalate into an argument that you can easily lose as well as get hurt. Other than that, yes, you have to be the "boss" mare.

This "baby" needs to learn some respect. If you have a place to work with her, put a halter on her and lunge her. You may have to use a driving whip or something like that if she needs some correction or encouragement to move. You do not want to place yourself close enough for her to kick you. Get her to go forward and whoa. If she doesn't work on a lunge line at all. Go back to using a lead rope and carry a broom across your body (either in front of you or behind you as needed) with the bristles toward her to remind her to respect your "space" or to move forward when asked.

If you are scared of her and it shows - yes, she will pick up on it and if she is a pushy horse will use it against you. Get someone to help teach her respect.

Ditto to the above two responses....the young mare definitely thinks she is the alpha over you. Absolutely do NOT run away from her screaming. I'm pretty sure that was the first thing I was taught about horses-they won't respect you if they know you're scared of them. That's probably why your husband has no problem with her...she knows he's not scared of her.

Many years ago I bought a new stallion that had absolutely no manners. He would rear up when I'd lead him, he'd try to bite, and he'd charge anyone who came into his pen. I knocked him down once when he reared up....he never did it again. I smacked him on the nose every single time he tried to bite...that quit pretty darn fast too. When I'd go in his pen, I'd bring a crop with me and when he'd charge I'd smack him on the nose---he'd turn his butt towards me and I'd take the crop and smack him on the butt (thank god he wasn't a kicker though...i don't deal with kickers!). Once he settled down, I'd make sure to give him a good scratch on the neck. If he didn't charge, he'd get a treat.

That may sound a little harsh, but when you have a horse (even if it's a mini!) that challenges you and is capable of hurting you, it's definitely necessary. That stallion is now THE sweetest horse on this place. Everyone calls him "the marshmallow man". He was just never disciplined before-I never hurt him, just let him know that I was alpha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE YOU HAVE TO BE BOSS OVER EVERYONE. I HAVE 23 HORSES AND YOU CAN WALK IN MY PASTURE ANY TIME AND THEY WILL RESPECT YOUR SPACE. MY MARES ARE IN ONE PASTURE AND I CAN WALK IN WITH FEED AND THEY RESPECT MY SPACE. IT TOOK AWHILE AND I HAD TO USE MY DRIVING WHIP TO ENFORCE MY WISHES BUT NOW NO PROBLEM. MY STALLIONS ARE GENTLEMEN, THEY ACT AND BEHAVE AS SUCH. I WILL NOT TOLERATE BAD BEHAVIOR IN ANYONE. I HAVE TO MANY PEOPLE CAME TO SEE THE HORSES AND THE OTHER ANIMALS, TO RISK ANYONE BEING HURT. THAT IS BOTH PEOPLE AND ANIMALS. STAND UP TO YOUR LITTLE MARE, SHE IS PUSHING THE BOUNDRIES TO SEE HOW FAR SHE CAN GO. THE WORD IS NO AND MAKE IT STICK! I KNOW ITS EASY FOR ME TO SAY STAND YOUR GROUND, BUT IT BECOMES EASIER EACH TIME.

Latest posts

Back