Mare Stare...!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisteria

Reaction score
First of all, we are all certifiable. :new_shocked:

Now that THAT'S out of the way, let's discuss MARE STARE.

First of all, I take NO responsibility for what I'm about to write. Why? Because it's 2am, that's why!

Let's talk about the "lounger" - better known as the MARE STARE CHAIR.

Does anybody here have a BED? I have one only on the weekends when my hubby is in town and my daughter takes over MARE STARE.

The rest of the time, I'm in my CHAIR.

What supplies do I need on my end table?

A calculator - to refigure how long this BLASTED mare has been pregnant

Binoculars - don't laugh - but even though the monitor is only 10' away, I'm blind and I like to make sure that back hind leg twitch is just that - a twitch

Bottled Water - to splash on my face at 2am - like NOW - and for hot flashes

Candy - for the midnight snack. My favorites - black licorice (great for the white teeth) and any kind of chocolate

18 TV Controls - well, maybe not 18

Hand lotion - to rub on my lips when my open mouth gets dry from the cold winter air

Reading glasses - so I can read what I'm writing here

Active On - I HATE YOUR COMMERCIALS, but for all the aches and pains from sleeping in the CHAIR

A knife - believe me - there's all kinds of reasons to have a knife - I can't think of one single one right now

A candle - to have something to stare at when I'm not staring at the monitor - besides, it smells good

Oust - for when my 12 year old son passes gas (he's sleeping on the couch even though he has a bedroom)

A mask - to cover my eyes so I can't see the glare from the monitor in between naps

The beeper - oh how I HATE YOU!!!!!

Is it worth it? Only when we get one of THESE:

AMHA073.jpg

Let's hear about your MARE STARE CHAIR!!!

Monette :saludando:

Monette - that was way too funny. The funniest part of it is it is all so true!!!!!!!!!!

What a beautiful foal you have!!!!!!!!!

im sure you guys are sick of me dragging this out ever year lol. i doodled this my first year mare staring. at the time I didnt have a camera so I just sat in the barn with the mare staring at her and her staring at me.

marestare.JPG

Very funny, and very true, Monette (and a gorgeous baby!). And very sweet drawing Kay!

One more thing for my bedside - cellphone to call the vet, and to share my misery with someone else up watching mares!

We had it easy last spring as we were living in the barn. When the monitor went off, all I had to do was roll out of bed and open the door - foaling stall was 12 feet from my warm bed
default_smile.png

Now, it's a trek down the hill and a lot farther from my warm bed! For some reason, we didn't get the barn cameras wired into the bedroom in the house, just into the den....so when my mares get serious about foaling next month, I may be moving back into the apartment LOL.

Jan

that was great !

Its strange how things have changed here.

When Erica was about 7 and we got our first "mini" things were sure different.

Of course they were "pet" qaulity mini's , but still very loved. But they were just out in our feild.

And when we decided to have a few babies, we would just wake up and look out off the deck in the back and find we had a baby running around. Kindof like you would a cow.

NOW..............

Different pastures seperate the different horses. The pregnant mares rotate fields as the date of their foaling gets near, until they are next to the barn and in the maturnity stalls. There, they are under camera, and there is a tv monitor in Erica's room, my room and my beauty shop so they are under constant watch. They also have a halter alarm on in case one decides to have a baby we arent watching.

TIMES HAVE CHANGED !

Last night i stayed up till 3:00 am. I even went into Ericas room about that time and took her a walky talky , so she could talk to me from the barn and let me know how the delivery was going, ( since i would be at the house watching her on the tv. ) I just knew the two mares she had in the maturnity stalls were fixing to have their babies !

They sure were acting that way. NO LUCK , sleepless night and no babies to show for it.

Oh well, maybe tonight?????????????????????

Ya gotta love it..............

Hope everyone has a healthy foaling season... Hang in there.

Linda Killion

Very Funny :bgrin

and Beautiful baby!

"The beeper - oh how I HATE YOU!!!!!"

hahahaha My thoughts EXACTLY!!!

Thanks for the grin
default_smile.png
)

~Sandy

That was hilarious, lol! And oh so true. :bgrin

Thanks for sharing!
default_yes.gif
:

How true,and what a beautiful foal. My husband gives me a couple hours of sleep when he gets home form work at 11:30Pm and then I am back on mare stare. Then he does the barn and I get a few more hours of slleep. Sometimes I think we are nuts in our senior age doing this but when you see a foal it worth it all.
default_yes.gif
:

im sure you guys are sick of me dragging this out ever year lol. i doodled this my first year mare staring. at the time I didnt have a camera so I just sat in the barn with the mare staring at her and her staring at me.

marestare.JPG
That is a great "Doodle"!
default_wub.png
: I'm able to move my "mare stare" TV from room to room as it's a wireless set up. It's out in the living room during day/eves and then I move into the "guest" room during active foaling season(wouldn't want to keep hubby awake!). I think the most frustrating is when you know they're going to foal.....and then they don't. I had one mare that I was sure was going that night. At 7 am I decided she wasn't going afterall......started to get up to shower/feed etc and she laid down and had it! I swear they know when you're not watching(I caught her though! :bgrin ).

I have no beepers, and no cameras, just a trailer and three Dobes and a bed, all conveniently placed so that I can see straight into the foaling stall.

One very good way of breaking your neck is attempting to beat three Dobes to the door at 1am because the mare has scrunched herself up in the one corner I cannot see into and I have to manually check her.

Of course she is never foaling.

Having then disturbed the dogs I have to get them to come back- no mean feat in itself.

They do not normally stirr unless the mare is foaling, but I STILL have to go and see!!!

Latest posts

Back