Mare Shape Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
This mare is 15 years old and always has had a foal every year and she is bred back for next year but she has a great

big round stomach on her and she has a 2 month old colt.

Is there anything I could do to get her back in shape?

I need help as she is on grass but I will be feeding hay and what type of ration should I give her as she has never had any? Should I free feed the hay?

I get her tomorrow morning.

Maybe a good worming program will help along with your new feeding routine..I free feed my mare hay all year round ..its also available when shes out in the paddock..I will let the experts advise you on hard feed..as we have different makes here so you proberbly wont have a clue what im talking about..I like to split her feed into 3 times daily and i try stick to roughly the same times..shes looks forward to it..you must be really excited getting her tomorrow along with her new baby..take lotsa pictures to show us
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Last edited by a moderator:
Its really hard to help without pictures etc.

Remember do not make fast food changes especially on a horse that was just moved. She will be stressed for sure. Also since shes bred back and has a foal on her side, you need to be really careful trying to get her in shape. Probably you will have to wait until after she foals again and that foal is weaned.

If she truly has been bred every year I would give her a year or two off. I know everyone is different but I never breed mares every year.

If I were you I would not give the hay free choice the first week that she is there. I would ration it out, gradually uping the ammount you give her each day. And make sure she is drinking well.

I would do the same with feed. Start with a little bit and up it over a week or 2 to the recommended ammount. Then after a couple weeks at that ammount if she is not gaining, I would up it some more.

It will be hard to get her where you think she should be since she is nursing. But once that foal is weaned she will be able to start using all those calories for herself. I imagine part of her big belly problem may be from lack of protein and calories if she was on grass only and nursing. And she will probably never get down to a trim, tight mare again. Babies tend to stretch things out. I KNOW! I have 2 kids of my own. LOL

Thanks for help when I get her home I will post pictures.

Great about hay feeding little amounts at a time and build up.

I havent bought what I should feed her for grain yet. I dont know what she should have with a foaI and not being fed anything what to start her on. I will have to phone done and ask the feed man.

I feed mine 3 cups of Purina Elite in the morning and 3 cups at night but my guys are all geldings and a 5 year old mare that has never had a foal and a flake of second cut morning and night each.

A good mare and foal feed would probably be a good choice for her, something like Omolene 300. If you don't like sweet feed, then... Ok, I had to go look up Purina Canada to know what was available to you. In the same line, as the Elite, you already feed is "Maternity", a feed for broodmares and foals; or there is Big'Un 300 (a pelleted mare/foal feed).

And, just remember as already stated to move her onto the "grain" slowly, since she isn't used to any.

Thanks so much Chanda for going to the extra trouble to look up feed in Canada. That was so nice of you. I am going now to phone feed store and see as I will name these ones. Thanks

Congratulations on getting a new mare!

May I ask what you intend to do with her. If she has had that amount of foals, is pregnant again and feeding a foal now, she will need a few years rest to get herself back into shape I would think (she deserves it too!)

I have no idea about the feed available to you in Canada, but it seems Chanda has already given you help in that direction. Will you be able to turn her out to grass? As she has already been used to grass then her system wont be used to anything else so to change away from this to 'dry' feed and hay may cause her a problem. Can she graze and you suppliment with her new feed and give hay as required?

As the foal is now 2 months old it will be quite safe to worm both her and the foal with a good wormer - dont use Quest on mini horses - then perhaps get a worm count done by your vet a few weeks later just to check. I think it will be quite a while before you can think about possibly reducing the size of her tummy, after all those foals she is going to stay pretty extended whatever you do, but anyway you will have to wait until the foal she is expecting is weaned.

I dont know how far she and her baby will be travelling to get to you, but on arrival it would be better to turn them both out in a grass paddock (not lush) as this is what she is used to, than shut her in a stall/barn and feed dry hay to a system that is already compromised by the journey. Just my opinion.

Good luck, cant wait to see the pictures!
default_yes.gif

Well she is home.

I have to go back out with the camera and get pictures.

She is 17 years old.

Her mane and forelock is all full of burrs as is her tail. How do I get them out it is so tight it is one big lump hanging there.

Can I use mane and tail conditioner?

I finally got a halter on her but should I take it off so the baby doesnt get hooked in it?

I better go get pictures so you know what I am talking about.

For her mane and tail you could wet it and use conditioner to try and remove the burrs but I would wait a few days until she is a bit more settled. I would remove her halter as it could be dangerous.

I can't wait to see the pics

Thanks for everyones help but I have to take them back as the foal has something wrong with his mouth. I am heartbroken and cant believe it.

IMG_6210-1.jpg

Thanks for everyones help but I have to take them back as the foal has something wrong with his mouth. I am heartbroken and cant believe it.

IMG_6210-1.jpg

If you already have them home, and like them, why not have your vet check over the foal and see what he says about the foal. If the foal is a boy, and going to be a gelding, as long as the issue doesn't affect his health, he might just make a great pet and companion for your other mini(s).

Latest posts

Back