Mare or Stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorse

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
A lot of distinct characteristics and behavior related to gender are pretty known.
Can you share your pick?

If you're asking preferences to mares, stallions or geldings, I have one of each currently (horses, not minis) and they are all incredibly different.
The mare: She has a standard of kindness. She will try her heart out for you if you are patient in your explanation. She responds very well to positive words and pats. She does not tolerate arrogance. Definitely a leader in her own.
The stallion: Sire to the afore-mentioned mare. I'd created him so we have a 12-year history. He much prefers that he doesn't have to make decisions in his life, he'd rather have a clear leader that tells him where he needs to be and what he needs to do. He is not brave although is the "herd protector" when challenged. He loves consistency. He does not respond to force, he despises a whip but respects spurs. He is very kind and gentle and also loves to be fussed over. He will tolerate more than the mare.
The gelding: He's related to the mare through the dam's site. He's a big goofy ball of fun. My most trusted partner. Little phases him. Has far more tolerance to stupidity. Would rather eat cookies than be fussed over, but still enjoys attention and interaction. Much better at making decisions when needed.

Attachments

• 20643398_10154933776781909_3279588725472686542_o.jpg
    20643398_10154933776781909_3279588725472686542_o.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 7
I love stallions. They can be a handful and require a lot of work but the heart they give is unmatched in my experience. I know some love mares but I personally love stallions. I strive to get all mine to a place where they can be working horses. Worked along side mares with no trouble. And truthfully I geld them eventually because I don't have the desire to breed. But I love them and their energy.

I've met more than a few mares now who have had trans-rectal or trans-vaginal spaying (essentially just removes the ovaries) and they were really basically geldings. I'm going to have to think about it more as I go along with horses as I'm guessing if it's requested more, it will be available more. Doing the trans-rectal or vaginal spay is way more cost effective than doing it laparoscopically. Food for thought anyways.

I’ve heard of spaying a mare, but then I think…. Why not just get a gelding? LOL LOL seems easier and cheaper to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

I loved my mare, never in-out of season that I could tell, she was always the same sassy little thing.… drama … or should I say very dramatic 💕💕💕… but I guess they call that personality 😍… LOVED HER ♥️♥️

💕💕💕

I don't have a preference mare. stallion or gelding, it's all about who they are to me. I am going to stick up for mares though, I've never had one that was a problem. They have all been wonderful, I think a lot of it is how you treat them. I had an instructor many many years ago who would only have a mare. He was an eventer. He said if you're out on course and they are tired and fall a gelding will just lie there but a mare will get up and attack the rest of the course. Besides, have you ever had a man ask you if you had your period just because you were angry with him and/or calling him on something? I will never complain about a mare who is a little cranky.

Latest posts

Back