? Mare in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minijoyj

Reaction score
I have a mare that should be due this month, but does not look like it all. She has been with my stallion all the time & has not come in heat, she just kicks him like one that is pregnant. I am sure that she didn't breed after July last year, but now I am wondering. Her due date is tomarrow. She looked pregnant all winter then all at once she didn't & I could not find a fetus in the pasture. She is filled out in front of her udder, but has that since she got skinny looking again, but her nipples are straight down & apart with liquid in them, but doesn't seem to be clostrum just watery.

Has anybody else had mares this year have weird pregnancy going on. I don't understand why she hasn't come in heat if she isn't preg. She keeps looking at her side, but can not see a baby kicking or feel one. Oh & the string says she is. I guess I just have to wait & see. I guess she might have bred later & I didn't see them.

If this is any comfort......you are not alone. This has been a very strange year for "signs" in pregnancy.

You basically have two options.......play the waiting game with your mare, or gamble with having an ultra-sound. I am saying the word "gamble" because at this stage of a pregnancy the foal is dropped into a position that is not always easy to see for some vets who are not experienced.

If you know your vet's background with ultra-sounds then you should know which way to go.

Maryann

Latest posts

Back