Mare/Foal Incompatability Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carol Z

Reaction score
I think that most of us have heard of this incompatability of the mare's colostrum which is similar to RH factor in humans. You can do a test by mixing cord blood with colostrum.

A vet has stated that she doesn't think it exists in miniature horses, so I'm wondering if any of you have experienced the condition in minis, or know first hand of someone who has? I'm positive that I've read of it happening right here on the LB forum, but I can't recall who had posted about it and it's probably been years.

Thanks

Karen Basner from Wonderland Miniatures had this experience a few years ago. She even posted on the subject here. She is located in Michigan and I believe you can find her site on the Breeders Connect Pages here on LB, if you're wanting to contact her.

*If I remember correctly, when this happened to Karen, it was the 3rd cross on the sire and dam. The first two foals were fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The incompatibility between the mare and foal happens when a foal is in a sense "allergic" to the mares antibodies. The mare becomes sensitized to the red blood cells from the foal if they are antigenically different from hers. This can happen through leakage of fetal blood cells into the mares blood stream or incompatible blood transfusions. The anti-RBC antibodies concentrate in the colostrum so when the foal drinks they reach the foals blood stream these antibodies from the mother see the foals cells as foreign and rapidly destroys them.

So if you bred an Aa- mare to an Aa+ stallion and you got a Aa+ foal, the mare would become sensitized in the last month of gestation and when the foal drinks the colostrum it results in erythrocyte destruction.

If its a mild case you can sometimes treat with nursing, in more severe cases a blood transfusion from a compatible donor is needed.

This can happen in ALL breeds of horses.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Masako

A mare owned by a friend had that problem. Each foaling she'd seperate them for a day until the mares colostrum turned to milk. She lost the first one before she realized what the problem was.

Is there testing that can be done before-hand, or do you have to wait until the foal is born? I've never had this happen (yet!) but it's best to be well-prepared. Thanks!

Back in 2002 I had a filly born and although I do not recall her acting ill, I do remember that her eye whites were looking yellow, so I called the vet and posted on the forum, and was told she likely had this. I let her stay with her dam, BUT, I made a muzzle for her so she could not nurse, and I bottle fed her for a day or so. All was OK. This was Gallie Girl wearing her muzzle. I posted it here on the forum at that time in case the halter idea may be of help tpo others.

I will post the pics again here. The muzzle was easily made by sewing a portion of a plastic pop bottle with the bottom cut out out and sewn onto a foal halter. The bottle was left longer than the foal's muzzle to ensure she could not nurse.

foalmuzzlehalter.jpg

foalmuzzlehalter2.jpg

Wonderful idea, Mona!

I've always hated the idea of separating mom and baby during such an important bonding time. We've had it happen twice and put a hay bale barrier between them for a couple of days. I like your invention better!

What we have here is a little different. Our mares foals are allergic to the the colostrum. This mare had many foals for us then then we had a colt the we "thought" must have gotten into fire ants. He had blisters all thru his mouth, on his tongue, his privates and bottom. We stripped the stall and couldn't find a single ant. Took him to the vet and that was their conclusion. The next year, same thing, about 24 hrs after the foal was born, blisters everywhere. We called our main vet and her first response was Herpes! I couldn't beleive it. She had MANY normal births, no problems with her, no signs of anything wrong with her - I just couldn't believe that diagnosis. I searched here, and all over the internet. I found the answer and took it to our vet - she was amazed - HOW DID I FIND THIS INFORMATION???? I searched for it because the answer that you gave us didn't sound right.

Anyway, there are no lasting effects. The foal is fine after a couple of days and no other problems. We treat him with banamine & benydryl.

I know this is different, but I thought people should know about it.

Janis

Last edited by a moderator:
There isnt a test for erythrocyte destruction in foals but to help prevent it you could get the stallions and mares blood typed prior to breeding and have a history on the mare that includes any other incidents of foal erythrocyte destruction or any blood transfusions and the blood type of the donor. Generally if you re breed the mare to the same stud it could happen again (pending the baby's blood type) and with each re-occurance it generally gets worse.

Latest posts

Back