Mare Behavior- Long

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a yearlng colt who is a sneaky nipper too and he doesn't get any oats. Maybe it's just a naughty little boy thing.

Don't you just love 'em!

I think you are right Helicopter!
default_laugh.png
Naughty little boys...

yeah my yearling knows he isn't aloud to nibble so he stretches his neck so that he can make a quicker escape.
new_rofl.gif

Never turn your back on a young man!
new_rofl.gif

LOL!! My boys are shoe eaters!! Head into nose piece of headcollar.....zoom.....head down to gnaw (sp?) on my toecap!! They are all mature enough and obedient enough to stop at my 'ah!', except one, and he needs me to heave on the headcollar before he will leave my boots alone. grrrrrr!! All my boots have scuff marks on the right foot.
default_biggrin.png

Love the boys!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_yes.gif

Stacy, I wouldn't be bothering with oats either, and corn kernels are not good - take the sack back.
default_yes.gif

default_poke.gif
<-That's what Finale does to me LOL He does the whole neck stretch too. Of course every time I visited him at the farm he was on his best behavior, but now that he's home he's testing. I'm just hoping my inexperience doesn't ruin his good training! I can tell he really wants to be a good boy though
default_wub.png
Maybe with the oats cut out they'll both settle down a bit. I'll see if I can find my receipt, it's been over a week since I purchased it.

Colts like to push the boundaries anyway so I wouldn't blame yourself if he is a bit naughty. My boys have known the rules since they were born here and they still try it on. I am lucky enough to have their dad here so when they get a bit obnoxious he will sort them out.
biggrin.gif

Ok another question about my mare.

She has now started being rude to ME at feeding time. Pinning her ears and today she went as far as to turn her rear-end directly at me. I guess threatening to kick. (I've always been told that a horse showing you there backside like that is a sign of disrespect.) I could not believe it! I growled at her to knock it off. She turned back around but was still snotty and ear pinning and then trying to dive into her feed bucket all obnoxiously before I had a chance to set it down.. That earned her another knock-it-off. I didn't put her food down until she took a step back.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong to make her all of a sudden start acting up with me... Any ideas on getting her to earn my respect?

Quick update on Finale... He is starting to really warm up to me. He enjoyed himself a good all over body scratching and actually stood still without a halter on for me to spray him all over with the fly spray...YAY I think I'm finally starting to earn his trust
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
Oh and Fancy also stayed still and let me spray her too. Her attitude only seems to be coming out at feeding time.

Thanks in Advance, looking forward to hearing your advice my friends!

Also.. can you feed TOO much beet pulp? The bales of hay we've been getting seem to not be that great quality (dusty and loose) I didn't know if adding extra beet pulp is safe or not

Yes it is fine to feed beet, i wouldn't use it to replace the hay but it can be added to their feed as extra fibre. If you can't find better hay could you buy some alfafa pellets?

Great idea on the alfalfa pellets! I can't find my receipt for the corn-y oats, so I should be able to get a store credit since it's their brand... I will get a sack..Thank you!

My husband just called me up (he went to get hay for me) and said "you're killin' me!" The hay place was out of small bales, which were $12, so he had to get a large bale. It was $30!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

He's already kindly broken down the "so far" cost of owning horses for me by itemizing everything we've bought so far
default_laugh.png

Ahhh but they give me so much joy LOL Anyway, I hope the hay isn't that nasty stuff we got last time!

Note for Hubby:

Large bale of hay = $ 30 or

Psychiatrist for unhappy wife = $100

Ponies win
new_rofl.gif

default_new_rofl.gif

Exactly! The bale is really big and super heavy and the quality seems much better than the small bales we got last week for half the price...

But then again you could probably bale up dandelions and daisies and tell me "Oh, Stacy! this is a lovely quality hay!" and I'd be like "oh yes! quite lovely indeed!"
default_blush.png
I still have a lot to learn
default_laugh.png

LOL!! Good luck with your new bale Stacy (happy Mums are a pleasure to have around, tell your hubby!)

Not having checked back on the posts on the previous page, not sure if you knew to soak sugar beet before feeding it? Really soak it - sugar beet in a bucket then fill up with water to double the level of the dry beet, plus I always soak mine overnight just to be sure, even giving it the odd stir to make sure the water is well circulated. You can always tip the extra water out of the bucket in the morning before feeding. Sorry if you already knew this?

You are quite right to insist on manners from Fancy when to go to feed her. Are you feeding her right where you get to her with her feed or are you carrying it along in front of her to her feeding spot? (can you understand what I mean?) Sometimes horses get worried that the feed is not going to be theirs and get stoppy and upset. if this is what is happening with her, then can you approach her feed spot direct and put the feed down for her through the fence instead of entering her space and walking with it? Not sure of your set up?? Here, those that are fed during the day are already stabled at feed times and we simply pop their bowls down over the stable doors (easy peasy!!). Some of mine WOULD let me carry their feeds across their fields to their feeding spot if that was the way I did it, and some would NOT!! Some are happy to have me 'do' things to them while they are eating and some are not. I just work with them knowing what they are happy with - still dont allow them to be pushy or nasty towards me, but I like to make feed time a happy one so take the trouble to find out what suits each individual animal. I also believe that a horse should be allowed to eat in peace without being fiddled with - munching on hay is different because they are always eating their hay, but actually feed should be eaten without 'interference'.
default_yes.gif

Dont forget to let us know what they think about their new bale of hay!

Anna, I feel exactly as you do about letting my animals eat in peace!! I am like that with my dogs too. I know that I could take their food because I know them well, but I also don't want to encourage them to get rude at feeding time or worry that there food will be taken away just to prove I am ALPHA. I already know. And so does everyone else (including hubby LOL)

I feed Fancy very close to the gate. She starts as soon as I open it and walk in. I tried feeding ehr further back but she gets too pushy so I just give in and set it down (after of course, she stops being rude!) I guess I could slide it through the fence for her. That should work. I can't imagine she would enjoy being fawned over at mealtime, so I leave her alone.

Finale, on the other hand, is funny about feeding. Funny ina good way. He's not concerned at all that I might steal his grain or hay! He's really well mannered (for the most part) so when I come in (he is fed on the opposite side of the gate of his pen) He does not shove his nose in the bucket at all. But he practically RUNS backwards til I get to the spot I put his food down LOL He is so cute! He lets me give him a good petting while he eats, and I only do it because he seems to enjoy it. And I don't do it for his entire meal. If I stick around too long he will inspect me rather than eat
default_laugh.png

Oh and I do soak the beet pulp very well. I had read somewhere that it could be fed dry but my goodness! the stuff is hard and has sharp, jabbing pieces in it. I couldn't imagine feeding it dry-ouch!

I don't normally feed them lunch, but I tossed each a little of the new hay and they seem to enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back