Mare Behavior- Long

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Anna!!! I love them so much already
default_wub.png

I don't think Finale really likes me that much though
default_no.gif
Maybe once he's gelded he will enjoy my attention more
default_poke.gif
He's definitely curious about me. He never pins his ears at me or acts aggressive towards me, he just, well doesn't seem to enjoy a good neck scratch for more than a few seconds.

I know I need to give him time and be patient with him.

How old is he Stacy? boys go through a teenage stage where they only love themselves and girls in heat
wub.gif
once they get older they chill out. My stallion is 12 and is a real sweetheart now but a few years ago he was too busy for me
rolleyes.gif

p.s they are both adorable and look out I might just steal them
wub.gif

Thanks Renee!
default_smile.png

Finale was born in August of 2010, so about 15 months. And yes! He does think he's pretty awesome
default_laugh.png

I have had him only a little over a week... Here is a typical session, to give you a better picture.

I walk in and he comes right over, ears perked. He stops a foot or so away from me and stretches his neck out to sniff me. I step in to him. Most of the time he stays there. Other times he takes a step back and I have to follow him around (with him walking backwards) to pat him or put a halter on him...

Anyway, when he does stay still, he only lets me scratch him for a minute before he backs up. (I don't know if I should halter him or not every time I go in there to make him stand still.)

He does lean into the scratch and seems to enjoy it, but then he backs up again and stands as far away from me as he can and just sniffs me, neck stretched like a giraffe. If I reach my hand out he will sniff, then usually he will try to get a quick little nip in and then throw his head back immediately- and dramatically! I'm pretty sure he instinctively knows he should not bite/nip and he NEVER tried nipping his previous owner.

The odd thing, to me at least, is that if I turn my back to him and walk away, he follows me. I always watch him out of the corner of my eye though because I know better than to completely trust him yet, especially with him not yet being gelded!

So what do you make of that? I want him to look forward to seeing me as much as Fancy does! LOL

He is curious yet unsure if you are safe! When you walk up to him try stopping and turning your back on him, when he comes to you scratch him (with your back to him) and then walk away before he does. Do this several times, he should wait longer and longer before leaving you.

When you are walking towards him never look AT him but turn you head slightly. Subconsciously he thinks you might want to hurt him (you are the lion and he is the prey) so indirect eye contact is reassuring. It is very hard to explain but if I get time at the weekend I will do a video with one of mine to show you.

default_new_multi.gif
:HappyBounce
default_new_multi.gif

That would be incredibly awesome! If you have time of course!

You hit the nail on the head, as he does seem somewhat afraid of me (I'm 5'2" btw LOL)

As I mentioned earlier, I think he senses my insecurity and awkwardness, so I'm sure that doesn't help with his confidence in me! I will try turning my back on him. I have just read so many times NOT to turn your back on colts that I'm secretly afraid that if I turn around he's going to take a chunk out of my hind end . It's a big enough target
default_new_rofl.gif
)

I will give it a try though. I so desperately want him to adore me like I do him
default_blush.png

You know before I got these two, I read and read and read. For months. I guess no matter how much reading you do, a big part of your knowledge is going to have to come from experience. My previous horse was already 9 or so years old and well mannered/trained...Plus I had experienced help with me at the barn all the time on the rare occasion a little issue did arise.

You can turn your back but still keep an eye on them by slightly turning your head. Many say never to turn your back but personally I have never been attacked by a horse that doesn't show OBVIOUS signs of aggression before. A colt may be "naughty" but unlikely aggressive. I always use my ears too so I can hear any sharp movement in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stacy, I think your boy has been well trained for not only his manners but also for the show ring - he has been taught to not to 'invade' another's personal space and also to stand and stretch to a hand for the show ring. If he thinks that he needs to keep out of your personal space, he WILL back up to give you the respect and the room just as he has been taught. Although this is all to the good, it does take a little time for these animals to understand that having a little love and affection means that one has to get a bit close up and personal! Put this together with the fact that he is in a new home and naturally not too sure who you are or what you expect from him, and he will stick to what he has been taught and give you space, until he learns about your particular set of rules and/or expectations.

If you dont feel too sure about turning your back on him, then stand sideways. Full front approach, particularly with eye contact is 'agressive' and will prevent him taking that final step towards you because you are effectively 'blocking' his approach. When calling my boys to the halter to catch them from their fields, I always stand sideways (I usually wave my arms - head collar flapping around while I jump up and down shouting 'yey, yey, whoopy doo, time for in, chop chop, way hey here he comes' followed by 'oooops' as the stallion undergoing my stange calling habits, rams his head into my tummy, puffing and panting after his race across the field (too fat at this time of year!) to reach his 'mummy' for love and stratches (no respect for my personal space!!) I dont suggest that you do all these crazy things with your boy - mine know that I'm quite mad most of the time and enjoy sharing my mad fun moments with me, but that is what time can do/allow as basic respect is built up over the years. I do insist on personal space and no tugging or messing around when I'm leading them, coz they will likely have me tripped up and sprawling on the ground, but they all know the border between 'naughty' allowed fun and good behaviour, and when it is required!

Love the boys!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Anna, now I want a video if this special show, lol can you ask Cathy? This will be my xmas pressy. ROFL

You just want to see my fat little boy puffing his way across the field - well you can wait until the spring when he's got himself nicely back in shape thinking about the coming season LOL!! I know that you are not interested in MY antics!!
default_biggrin.png

Apologies Stacy - the last three posters on your thread (me included) come from a group known as the MMW's (mad mare watcher's) and are inclind towards mad moments when posting elsewhere. But i can assure you that we are quite harmless really.
default_risa_suelos.gif
default_wink.png

I know that you are not interested in MY antics!!
default_biggrin.png

Au contraire my friend, we ALL want to see you with your arms flapping in the wind
new_rofl.gif
jumping up and down shouting " 'yey, yey, whoopy doo, time for in, chop chop, way hey here he comes' followed by 'oooops' as the stallion undergoing your stange calling habits, rams his head into your tummy"

new_rofl.gif
THIS IS A MUST
new_rofl.gif

I'll think about it.
default_wink.png

Trouble is that at this time of year, he's so fat he can't make his normal full on rush across his usual 4 acre, plus he has just got moved to another field as the 'special' mares are now grazing his 'good grass' field. He is now where the mares were and can spot me coming as I walk up the drive and comes shooting over before I'm even at the field.

I'm going to try driving up the drive in the car and then sneaking up on him that way!!

What we do for our friends!
default_rolleyes.gif
Will let you know how I get on.
default_yes.gif

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

Oh these replies gave me a good laugh!!! Whew. I only have a quick few minutes on here and a very busy day tomorrow but I do want to respond to all the great posts, comments and advice. I LOVE it!!

(I'd reply now but as you may possibly have noticed, I have on occasion been called long-winded... hmph! I can't ever imagine why!)
default_unsure.png

I will get back on here tomorrow night if I get a chance and if not, Friday some time for sure! I have a few more questions to fire off at you ladies
default_cheekkiss.gif

Thanks for being so generous with you advice, I am soaking it all up like a sponge and it is GREATLY appreciated.

Will get back with yall soon (((HUGS!!!)))

You are very welcome Stacy - hope your busy day goes smoothly for you.
default_yes.gif

ps. I'm afraid I'm the one who holds the top position for being 'long winded' - I ramble along happily for hours when posting, it's much more fun than using a few simple sentances!

These wonderful little creatures all have their own special little ways, don't they? My leader of the pack is a gelding. Any newcomer gets run ragged with Humphrey lifting them off the ground by the hock, throwing his considerable weight on them and just generally driving them insane, leaving them (and him) dripping sweat and heaving with exhaustion. Doesn't matter how long you keep them separated before introducing them to the herd or how many times you walk them into the paddock for a meet and greet, he does it anyway.....and always with a huge smile on his cheeky face. Humphrey never tries to hurt anyone just enjoys driving them bonkers. However, this gelding will happily share a hay net with several others. The real menace is his second in command. A mare....Fifi. She will not share anything and tries to claim all 17 feeds for herself rushing from one to another causing mayhem. I feed her by herself now , she is happier and so is everyone else. Yet this mare is the sweetest of girls........just loves her tucker and is ruled by her substantial stomach. Your two minis are gorgeous. Congratulations.

Helicopter, my second in command is real menace too and will NOT be friends or share scratches with anyone other than the boss.
rolleyes.gif

See you soon Stacy
saludando.gif

default_saludando.gif
I finally made it back! My busy day turned in to a few busy days lol....

Hello Helicopter! Your Humphrey sounds just like Fancy! She would sneak up on Finale and lunge for his hocks. He would have his back to her sniffing the ground or what have you, and she would crouch then lunge. Never biting him but sure looking scary. Isn't it funny no matter how well fed they are, they can still be such gluttons?

Diane, Thank you for your compliments! I had a little help from a certain friend on here when deciding on the mare so I can't take all the credit (thanks again LOL)

You guys were right about Finale doing his show routine, I think. I'm glad because I was feeling a bit rejected. I have only had them a couple of weeks now, but he seems to be really liking me now. I want more minis and have my eye on a certain one, and have for what feels like a long time already, but with buying the house, I have to wait until spring and hope and pray this certain mini is still up for my consideration
default_wub.png

You guys were right about him being a bit naughty. If he sees an opportunity to nip a finger or my clothes he does...And immediately and dramatically throws himself backwards, mane flying, eyes wide. Before I can even correct him...

Mmmhmmm... I believe he is saying "Oh my goodness!!!!! Did you see that??? Someone tried to nip you!!!"

I just love these two already and I am thoroughly enjoying being a horse owner again after nearly 20 years
default_new_shocked.gif

So here is another question, probably silly... But it's bothering me. I bought a large bag of rolled oats. The ingredients say "Rolled Oats" However there is corn in the bag. For every 1 cup of oats I pick out and throw away about 5 kernels of corn. There should not be corn in there, right? I know it sounds stupid to ask. I just have always thought that horses were not supposed to eat corn
default_wacko.png

Italians feed corn to horses so it won't kill them but I personally don't like it. If you bought a bag of oats it should contain only oats so I would take it back. May I ask why you are feeding oats? As far as I am aware oats heat them up (mentally) and can make them aggressive if they are not working and burning off energy. The only time I fed rolled oats was when I was doing endurance as it really gives energy but I only gave it for a few days before each competition.

saludando.gif

default_saludando.gif

Hmmm... I recall when I had my fiesty Arab, the barn owners where I boarded him forbid me to feed him oats
default_laugh.png

The reason I am feeding oats is because that was what Finale was part of what was being fed by his previous owner. I use a 1 pound container as a scoop and he gets 3/4 pelleted grain and 1/4 oats twice a day, as well as a couple of smallhandfuls of soaked beet pulp...

So is it not nutritionally necessary for me to be feeding him (or her) the oats? Maybe that's why he's a sneaky nipper LOL Well, that and we're waiting on getting our appointment with the vet to get him gelded! (I need to wait until we get settled in to our new home so hopefully another couple of weeks
default_aktion033.gif
)

Latest posts

Back