Mare Acting Funny

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I had a couple of friends over and one of them was helping me trim Princesses feet. The other person was sanding around the pasture kind of petting the foal. All of a sudden my mare that is the mom of the foal started to keep the other friend away from the foal. This behavior then spred to me, Princess and my other friend that was doing the work. She kept hurding the other person off. She then would wirl around and thretten to kick him. I was sitting on a milk creat holding princess and Missy would then trot over to me and sit on my knee. As the other person came closer she would herd him off again and come back and sit on my knee. What is up with that?

Sounds like she was just being protective of her baby and her owner to me. I have had mares that dont tolerate people that they dont know around their babies or me. I know they just get in "protective" moods.

I am a true believer that horses and other animals not only protect there offspring but there owners as well, they can also sence that there is just something about that person they don't like, maybe your friend needs to spend more time with your horses so they trust her.

If my animals don't like someone that is a warning to me to beware, JMHO, and nothing ment bad about your friend.

Especially since I do not know you or your friends Just my opinion that's all.

She was just so funny because she would sit on my knee. I had never seen her act like that before. I guess I better be more careful who I let into the horses from now on.

I agree with JanBKS, I would be causios around your friend.....I do not care how long I have known someone if one of my animals that do not mind people acts funny around someone then I am causious around them, and normally my animal is right. I do not know your friend so i can not judge him, but from the way you wrote you also said it was a he, that might be the reason your horse acts funny, my horse Rascal use to act funny around boys too, I had to get him slowly use to them because he would not talerate a boy by me, I got Rascal from an abusive home so I think that is partly why he was like that around boys now he is ok and treats boys equal to girls and I have no problem with him around boys.

The one doing the trimming was a he too. It is just that the one doing the trimming was raised with horses and the other one wasn't. I am just going to be more careful who goes out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought but maybe the person that was there that is not around horses as often was nervous. In the past if we had someone visit that made a horse/horses protective or on edge it usually meant they picked up on someones nervousness.

Latest posts

Back